Ryzen 2700x vs 1900x

I was looking to upgrade the cpu to an amd 8 core in my gaming/streaming/editing rig. I was wondering what your guys opinion on whether I should option a: go with the 2700x, option b: go with the threadripper 1900x, or option c: wait for the 2nd gen threadripper to come out. I have heard rumors, but do no know when and what core count the lower level threadripper will be released at. Also on the subject of TR4 motherboard I know specific manufacterers have had defects with the socket and was wondering what knowledge you guys have on the TR4 socket if i decide to go this route? Any help is much appreciated!

the 1900x is pretty much an 1800x with 64 pci-e lanes and a higher cost, so stick with ryzen 7 instead.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

i would get the 2700x, unless you need the 64 pcie slots., Their performance are similar, however ryzen 7 is cheaper but if you want TR, get at least the 12core or 16 versions.

It all depends on what you want. If your workload is fine with 8 cores and doesn't need 64 PCIe lanes for a fuckton of add-in cards, the AM4 platform is just fine. TR4 boards are easily $300+ where decent X470 AM4 boards start around half that at $140-ish. 

I haven't personally heard about actual socket problems with TR4 aside from the nuisance with the tightening screws and threads on the socket that isn't more than that, a nuisance.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

the only benefit is that TR4 mobos should be compatible with the new TRs (2990x etc)

3 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

the only benefit is that TR4 mobos should be compatible with the new TRs (2990x etc)

But Zen2/Ryzen 3 is also compatible with AM4, so there's no real benefit there.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

1 minute ago, NelizMastr said:

It all depends on what you want. If your workload is fine with 8 cores and doesn't need 64 PCIe lanes for a fuckton of add-in cards, the AM4 platform is just fine. TR4 boards are easily $300+ where decent X470 AM4 boards start around half that at $140-ish. 

I haven't personally heard about actual socket problems with TR4 aside from the nuisance with the tightening screws and threads on the socket that isn't more than that, a nuisance.

I was watching a video where jayztwocents was doing a threadripper build and he was saying something about how there are pretty much two manufacturers of the actual socket and one was trustworthy while the other was pretty problem ridden so i figured I'd just throw that out there.

2 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

But Zen2/Ryzen 3 is also compatible with AM4, so there's no real benefit there.

if he wants 32c/64t in the future, he can but i doubt they will make ryzen more than 8c, as ryzen is not a workstation.

I would go with the 2700x. It is using the smaller manufacturing process which gives it a clock speed boost. Who cares about having more cores if your ST performance for games is going to be crap. Since these chips do not have much if any(in some cases) OC headroom those extra clocks go a long way in getting average fps up in most titles.

12 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

if he wants 32c/64t in the future, he can but i doubt they will make ryzen more than 8c, as ryzen is not a workstation.

If you need 24 more cores than right now within 2-3 years, TR isn't the way to go now anyway, as a new socket will be available then with new features. It's better to stay on a "consumer" platform if that's the case. You'll have a significantly lower total cost over those years.

The 2700X is plenty.

As I do what you mentioned above with my build below, you will be fine.

I stream with no issues running Oculus with no lag in OBS, and I don't lag streaming with OBS for "flat" gaming either.

What you will run into an issue with is if you are recording, streaming, and playing at the same time, where more cores and faster storage will help you, but you can tweak your settings to mitigate this.

Even then, if you are getting a 1900X, save your money. The money you save on an X399 motherboard you can dump into a really good NVME PCI-E 4x Drive (I highly recommend the Samsung 970 EVO/PRO from experience), and still have enough PCI-E Lanes for your graphics cards and peripherals.

Desktop:

AMD Ryzen 7 @ 3.9ghz 1.35v w/ Noctua NH-D15 SE AM4 Edition

ASUS STRIX X370-F GAMING Motherboard

ASUS STRIX Radeon RX 5700XT

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3200

Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME

2x4TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

Elgato HD60 Pro

Sceptre C305B-200UN Ultra Wide 2560x1080 200hz Monitor

Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum Keyboard

Logitech G903 Mouse

Oculus Rift CV1 w/ 3 Sensors + Earphones

Laptop:

Acer Nitro 5:

Intel Core I5-8300H

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 2666

Geforce GTX 1050ti 4GB

Intel 600p 256GB NVME

Seagate Firecuda 2TB SSHD

Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum

I was looking to upgrade soon and saw the threadripper 1900x was only $300 on newegg Fantastech sale