Would it be alright to preinstall my games before I build my new pc in a few days and then move the HDD there to save time?

IdiotPenguin

I was just wondering if it will cause any issues because my hardware will be different (probably not but just making sure lel) I’m reinstalling origin and steam onto my new hard drive from my old pc currently 

Ive never had multiple drives so excuse this dumbarse question 

poop

You can move steam and uplay games to a different drive and then just resync them, no need to redownload.

On Uplay there is a button "locate installed game"

And on Steam in settings there is a "add a new steam library folder"

On origin IDK, i dont use it.

I have always kept my game libraries on a separate drive so if I had to Start Fresh I wouldn't have to spend a bunch of time re-downloading all those games. I have never had an issue doing it this way even when I upgraded up to a Ryzen system. After Steam, Orgin, Battlenet, etc etc is installed all you would need to do is point the client to that folder.

1 minute ago, Some Random Member said:

You can move steam and uplay games to a different drive and then just resync them, no need to redownload.

On Uplay there is a button "locate installed game"

And on Steam in settings there is a "add a new steam library folder"

1 minute ago, Looting said:

I have always kept my game libraries on a separate drive so if I had to Start Fresh I wouldn't have to spend a bunch of time re-downloading all those games. I have never had an issue doing it this way even when I upgraded up to a Ryzen system. After Steam, Orgin, Battlenet, etc etc is installed all you would need to do is point the client to that folder.

Unfortunately I’ve already reset my windows and deleted everything but I have a few days ahead of me and I’m not inpatient so redownloading the games is fine and I don’t regret it :D

reset cuz I can give this old pc to my parents for web browsing and YouTube lel

poop

Steam - Yes and it's very easy to do so. Simply add the new drive into the existing system and use Steam to create a new library on that drive and then install games to that new library location.

Origin - More difficult (though I haven't had to do this for over a year now). The last time I did this, Origin wasn't clever enough to recognise the existing files and would just redownload everything. Not great in the era of 100GB games. However according to this EA forum post, that may have been resolved: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues/Origin-Moving-Games-to-Another-Hard-Drive-or-System/td-p/5776562.

If not then; take a copy the contents of the Origin games installation folder and copy them to the new drive. When you're done configuring your new PC, reinstall Origin and specify the games install location. Then press download on the game(s) you are going to reinstall. It will start downloading the files. As soon as 1MB has been downloaded, pause the download. Then exit Origin completely (make sure it isn't running at all). Then move the Origin games folder you copied earlier to the new install location, overwriting existing files. Launch Origin and it should then detect the files or think it's already downloaded them.

Stop and think a second, something is more than nothing.

3 minutes ago, IdiotPenguin said:

Unfortunately I’ve already reset my windows and deleted everything but I have a few days ahead of me and I’m not inpatient so redownloading the games is fine and I don’t regret it :D

reset cuz I can give this old pc to my parents for web browsing and YouTube lel

Well on 1MB/s i definitely wouldnt want to download my library of about 300gb again.

1 minute ago, Some Random Member said:

Well on 1MB/s i definitely wouldnt want to download my library of about 300gb again.

I only have about >150gb at most of games and I’m at 2mbs usually :P

poop

2 minutes ago, IdiotPenguin said:

I only have about >150gb at most of games and I’m at 2mbs usually :P

Holy shit, I would die at that speed... haven't had that low of a speed since around 2002 IIRC (on 70Mbit/s now). I'd definitely keep my games on an external drive and copy to new systems if needed, also on NAS if you have one.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

3 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

Holy shit, I would die at that speed... haven't had that low of a speed since around 2002 IIRC (on 70Mbit/s now). I'd definitely keep my games on an external drive and copy to new systems if needed, also on NAS if you have one.

My internet is pretty shit as it also disconnects easily from storms and just randomly sometimes but I’ve gotten used to it xD

poop

2 minutes ago, IdiotPenguin said:

My internet is pretty shit as it also disconnects easily from storms and just randomly sometimes but I’ve gotten used to it xD

:o

I guess it's one of those things, where you don't miss what you've never had.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

2 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

:o

I guess it's one of those things, where you don't miss what you've never had.

This internet used to give me depression but now it’s more stable since I’m using a Powerline adapter

poop