Is my MOBO dead? PC won't turn on.

Part list:

PSU: Unsure, friend took it out of a workstation (He claims it's over 700 watts)

Processor: i5-6500 3.2GHz 

Motherboard: Asus H110M-C D3 (Chipset: LGA 1151)

Ram: Patriot Signature 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600

SSD: G.Skill - Phoenix Pro Series 120GB 2.5" 

GPU: Sapphire - Radeon HD 5970 2GB Video Card

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer was working fine for about 2 months. I opened it up to inspect my GPU, but when I put it back in, the PC wouldn't turn on when I press the power button on the case.

No lights, no fan, nothing. 

I've tried pretty much everything.

-Switching the reset button cables with the power cables. 

-Resetting CMOS and battery

-Reinserting practically every cable

-Removing and swapping ram

-Removing GPU

On the back of my PSU, there is a reset button.

So long as I'm pressing it down, the RGB lights light up, and fans start spinning. 

Once I let go of the reset button, everything shuts off. Nothing shows up on the monitor even if I press it down long enough.

Just because the fans start spinning, can my MOBO be dead? Or is it the case power button?

Try shorting the power button pins on the motherboard to see if that'll turn on your PC.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

21 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Try shorting the power button pins on the motherboard to see if that'll turn on your PC

From my understanding, I tried it and it didn't work. I connected the PWR pins on the MOBO via a screwdriver. Nothing happened.

6 hours ago, ChromeMango said:

From my understanding, I tried it and it didn't work. I connected the PWR pins on the MOBO via a screwdriver. Nothing happened.

If you can, try a different PSU.

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

1 minute ago, kelvinhall05 said:

If you can, try a different PSU.

I only have 1 available. Should I get it tested somewhere like at Geek Squad? or find some other service? 

6 hours ago, ChromeMango said:

I only have 1 available. Should I get it tested somewhere like at Geek Squad? or find some other service? 

Oof, if you don't have other parts to test with...yikes. That makes it harder to diagnose the issue. I'd say do one of two things: 1, just assume your current PSU is dead, and either throw it out or try and get an RMA or something, or 2, buy a cheap new PSU to test your system with, then determine whether your PSU needs replacing.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

7 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Oof, if you don't have other parts to test with...yikes. That makes it harder to diagnose the issue. I'd say do one of two things: 1, just assume your current PSU is dead, and either throw it out or try and get an RMA or something, or 2, buy a cheap new PSU to test your system with, then determine whether your PSU needs replacing.

Roger that. So you think it may be the PSU that needs to be further diagnosed, correct? (even though the fans spin when I press the reset button on the PSU)

Also some more information: At times when I plug the power cable to the PSU, I hear a quiet, but high pitched screeching noise coming from somewhere in the motherboard. I'm unsure where it's coming from. It stops after a few seconds. It's not like the usual beeping a MOBO makes. Not sure if that matters at all but I had to throw that info out there. 

18 hours ago, ChromeMango said:

Roger that. So you think it may be the PSU that needs to be further diagnosed, correct? (even though the fans spin when I press the reset button on the PSU)

Also some more information: At times when I plug the power cable to the PSU, I hear a quiet, but high pitched screeching noise coming from somewhere in the motherboard. I'm unsure where it's coming from. It stops after a few seconds. It's not like the usual beeping a MOBO makes. Not sure if that matters at all but I had to throw that info out there. 

Well, try replacing both the mobo and PSU. If you have a roommate or something see if you can borrow his/her PC to test parts with.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

On 7/15/2018 at 1:51 AM, kelvinhall05 said:

Well, try replacing both the mobo and PSU. If you have a roommate or something see if you can borrow his/her PC to test parts with.

Well it looks like it's the motherboard. Friend gave me an old computer; I tried the PSU of the old PC on my build, and didn't work. I then tried my current PSU onto the old PC, and it worked without issue. Thank you for your help! guess I gotta go buy a new motherboard now.

Make sure the motherboard isn't in direct contact with the case, and that all the stand-offs the motherboard is mounted on are there. If you put all the parts together outside the case, and it boots, that means the mobo got shorted by the case.

1 hour ago, Tosa said:

Make sure the motherboard isn't in direct contact with the case, and that all the stand-offs the motherboard is mounted on are there. If you put all the parts together outside the case, and it boots, that means the mobo got shorted by the case.

Yeah I've done that. Won't work.