Router behind router

Simon771

I'm having a bit of a struggle with configuring my network. 

I have 2 routers and few devices connected on them, like it's shown on picture below:

network.png.cc976237d009093323e75cc233aa071e.png

Yeah it isn't great picture, but you get the point how I have it wired. Now the problem is, because I can't connect from PC with IP 192.168.0.103 to any device with IP 192.168.1.x.

I made some static route on my Router2, so devices from 192.168.1.x can connect to those with 192.168.0.x IP. I just can't get it working the other way around aswell.

I also have problem with name resolution or however it's called. Before I was able to just "\\pc-name" in windows explorer, but now I have to type "\\IP_of_pc" to connect on computer from different router. Is there any way to fix that aswell also? 

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

Is there some specific reason why you want to have them under different IP-ranges in the first place?

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

The easiest solution would be to drop router 2 for a switch... or in the event you can't/don't want to do that... then you can disable dhcp on the second router and instead of plugging the lan port from router 1 to a wan port on router 2... just run from lan to lan and it will operate more closely to a switch. Just make sure firewall and dhcp are disabled on the second router.

16 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Is there some specific reason why you want to have them under different IP-ranges in the first place?

No there isn't any reason for devices to be in different segment. 

7 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

The easiest solution would be to drop router 2 for a switch... or in the event you can't/don't want to do that... then you can disable dhcp on the second router and instead of plugging the lan port from router 1 to a wan port on router 2... just run from lan to lan and it will operate more closely to a switch. Just make sure firewall and dhcp are disabled on the second router.

The only concern I have is about ability to access to router2. I had configuration similar to this one, but with disabled DHCP on router2. But the problem was, once I did that, I wasn't able to connect to router2 anymore. And every time I had to change some settings (like changing wifi password) I had to reset router2 to default settings, so I could access it.

Or is there a way to have all devices from router1 and router2 in same IP range, and still be able to access router1 and router2 from my web browser?

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

1 minute ago, Simon771 said:

Or is there a way to have all devices from router1 and router2 in same IP range, and still be able to access router1 and router2 from my web browser?

Yes, if you set to work as a bridge. How you do that depends on your router, ie. it can be easy with just a few clicks, or you may have to go and disable NAT, firewall and DHCP manually.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

4 minutes ago, Simon771 said:

No there isn't any reason for devices to be in different segment. 

The only concern I have is about ability to access to router2. I had configuration similar to this one, but with disabled DHCP on router2. But the problem was, once I did that, I wasn't able to connect to router2 anymore. And every time I had to change some settings (like changing wifi password) I had to reset router2 to default settings, so I could access it.

You would just assign a manual IP to router 2.  I normally go for something like 192.168.0.250 or so.

7 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Yes, if you set to work as a bridge. How you do that depends on your router, ie. it can be easy with just a few clicks, or you may have to go and disable NAT, firewall and DHCP manually.

image.png.b38952be05a790a39013295b0bcd1db2.png

What about that AP mode? Media Bridge requires two of those same routers, so that's out of the question.

WD My Cloud 4TB

1 minute ago, Simon771 said:

What about that AP mode? Media Bridge requires two of those same routers, so that's out of the question.

AP-mode might work. Give it a try.

1 hour ago, WereCatf said:

AP-mode might work. Give it a try.

Yeah that seems to work just fine. And all it took was just one click xD 

Thanks for help mate.

WD My Cloud 4TB