Capture Card For Playing On PC?

Polraudio

Sorry if this is the wrong place, i couldn't find a more relevant place for this.

So im looking for a good pci/internal capture card to play games on my PC in windowed mode and preferably with 1080p and 60fps support(futureproof) and as little latency as possible since im going to be using my PC to play instead of changing inputs. As for price range anything from $50-200. Im not really going to be using it for recording but once in a while i might.

If anyone knows of a good capture card with this specs id really appreciate it.

Why not just use OBS? Or am I missing something

Do you mean play games from your console on your pc? Thats why we have streaming

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

What's the point of having a capture card if you aren't recording/streaming?

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

I want to play console games on my PC without having to constantly switch my inputs. its easier to talk on steam, discord and browse around on a PC then having to constantly switch inputs just to play my switch. yes i know that i wont be able to use a keyboard and mouse and will have to use the actual controller the console uses with the console.

2 minutes ago, Polraudio said:

I want to play console games on my PC without having to constantly switch my inputs. its easier to talk on steam, discord and browse around on a PC then having to constantly switch inputs just to play my switch. yes i know that i wont be able to use a keyboard and mouse and will have to use the actual controller the console uses with the console.

What consoles? Most modern consoles have streaming platforms so you can play games on your pc.

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

1 hour ago, Slottr said:

What consoles?

1 hour ago, Slottr said:

just to play my switch

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

2 minutes ago, Slottr said:

What consoles?

Mainly the Switch and PS3/PS4

1 hour ago, Slottr said:

Well shit

Happens to the best of us. Can definitely see the confusion between 'switch' and 'switch.' Also, he plays on PS4 too, so you're question was far from useless.

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

2 minutes ago, Polraudio said:

Mainly the Switch and PS3/PS4

Well with your ps4 you can avoid the entire thing by streaming - though ps3 and switch is I guess where you're asking.

You will see a noticeable amount of input lag if you play through a card onto your pc.

8 minutes ago, Slottr said:

You will see a noticeable amount of input lag if you play through a card onto your pc.

exactly what i was afraid of.

3 minutes ago, Polraudio said:

exactly what i was afraid of.

Consider maybe an HDMI switch, where you could have easier access to different inputs.

1 minute ago, Slottr said:

Consider maybe an HDMI switch, where you could have easier access to different inputs.

I got one already. its annoying having to switch inputs to reply to messages or quickly browse around for something. I like to multitask so much that its prob considered supertasking xd. It would be so much easier for me to just be able to minimise a window or shrink it a little so i can watch a video on the side while playing my console.

1 minute ago, Polraudio said:

I got one already. its annoying having to switch inputs to reply to messages or quickly browse around for something. I like to multitask so much that its prob considered supertasking xd. It would be so much easier for me to just be able to minimise a window or shrink it a little so i can watch a video on the side while playing my console.

Find a cheap second monitor on some local classifieds?

3 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Seconded, and get a cheap secondary monitor, god forbid, even a 4:3 monitor, for your pc based chat, etc. Then you can run console on the main and chat on secondary, or pc game on primary, chat etc on secondary when pc gaming. It'll actually be less expensive than a good capture card to get a secondary monitor and a Monoprice HDMI switch.

If you're ok with paying up to $200 for a capture card, you could get a 24" AOC 144hz 1080 for that right now.

2 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Find a cheap second monitor on some local classifieds?

I want to avoid having another monitor to clutter my already cluttered small ass room. I already weighed my options and a capture card would be the best option for me.

I want to avoid having another monitor to clutter my already cluttered small ass room.

Rip..

Might be at a loss then man, sorry

I want to avoid having another monitor to clutter my already cluttered small ass room.

I'm afraid you're hitting the pony phase of this idea, short of getting a TV with PiP and having gaming on full size input and chat on the PIP, it's just not feasible.

Oh well was worth a shot. Thanks for the help.

15 minutes ago, Polraudio said:

Oh well was worth a shot. Thanks for the help.

I think what's been said here so far has covered most options, though I did some quick research and discovered that the Elgato HD60 PRO which barely fits in your budget at $200 is supposed to have very low latency. See for yourself:

So the input lag might not be as bad as you think on good quality capture cards paired with the right software.

Spoiler

My main desktop, "Rufus":

Spoiler

PC Specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite 120

RAM: 2x8gb Corsair Vengence DDR4 Red LED @ 3066mt/s

Motherboard: MSI B350 Gaming Pro Carbon

GPU: XFX RX 580 GTR XXX White 

Storage: Mushkin ECO3 256GB SATA3 SSD + Some hitachi thing

PSU: Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 650W

Case: Corsair Crystal 460X

Retro machine:

Spoiler

PC Specs:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550

CPU Cooler: Stock heatsink

RAM: GSkill 4gb DDR2 1066mt/s

Motherboard: Asus P5n-e SLI

GPU: 8800 GTS 640mb, I swap between that and my 8800 GTS 512mb

Storage: Seagate 320gb right from 2006

PSU: Ultra 600W 

Case: Deepcool Tesseract SW

OS: Windows XP SP3 32-bit, Linux Mint 18.2 Cinnamon 64-bit, Manjaro Deepin x64 (sorta)

Mac Pro Early 2008: Dual Xeon X5482s w/ 32GB RAM & HD 5770 running macOS High Sierra

More PC's

2 minutes ago, panther420 said:

I think what's been said here so far has covered most options, though I did some quick research and discovered that the Elgato HD60 PRO which barely fits in your budget at $200 is supposed to have very low latency. See for yourself:

So the input lag might not be as bad as you think on good quality capture cards paired with the right software.

Doesn't seem like a bad card. action games it might get a little annoying. I might just stick with my constantly switching inputs.

Doesn't seem like a bad card. action games it might get a little annoying. I might just stick with my constantly switching inputs.

Or get a second monitor like others have suggested. I have a small room and a small desk too and I've managed to cram 3 monitors by propping one on top of my PC. Kind of hard to read but does the job.

Spoiler

My main desktop, "Rufus":

Spoiler

PC Specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite 120

RAM: 2x8gb Corsair Vengence DDR4 Red LED @ 3066mt/s

Motherboard: MSI B350 Gaming Pro Carbon

GPU: XFX RX 580 GTR XXX White 

Storage: Mushkin ECO3 256GB SATA3 SSD + Some hitachi thing

PSU: Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 650W

Case: Corsair Crystal 460X

Retro machine:

Spoiler

PC Specs:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550

CPU Cooler: Stock heatsink

RAM: GSkill 4gb DDR2 1066mt/s

Motherboard: Asus P5n-e SLI

GPU: 8800 GTS 640mb, I swap between that and my 8800 GTS 512mb

Storage: Seagate 320gb right from 2006

PSU: Ultra 600W 

Case: Deepcool Tesseract SW

OS: Windows XP SP3 32-bit, Linux Mint 18.2 Cinnamon 64-bit, Manjaro Deepin x64 (sorta)

Mac Pro Early 2008: Dual Xeon X5482s w/ 32GB RAM & HD 5770 running macOS High Sierra

More PC's