Problem with wifi adapter on B350 Motherboard

When installing the PCIe wifi adapter (TP-Link AC1300) into my system, my computer appears to boot, however there is no output from my GPU (RX 460). the fan of the GPU spins, the chassis and CPU fans spin, and a green light on the wifi adapter lights up but beyond that the system doesn't do anything.

I'm using a Ryzen 1300x CPU on the Asus TUF b350m mAtX mobo, with an M.2 drive and a HDD for storage.

The motherboard manual and other forum posts online say that I can have a GPU in the PCIe 3.0 x16 slot making the PCIe 2.0 x16 slot act as a x4, which should work with the wifi adapter but that doesn't seem to be the case here. From what I know about the motherboard and chipset, the M.2 drive should disable SATA ports 5 and 6 and not occupy any PCIe lanes. 

Are there anything BIOS settings to remedy this? Am I forgetting something really obvious or am I SOL? Feedback is appreciated.

I might try re-seating my components just in case I bumped anything during installation. Once I did that I would check to make sure the build still boots without the TP-Link card. If it does then I might see about purchasing a USB Wi-Fi solution. It would be suboptimal, but on the upside would likely affect case thermals significantly less.

Also I would probably including in my list of toos an attempt at an RMA of the TP-Link card, and if the replacement causes the same occurrence then get a refund and put that money towards the aforementioned USB solution.

Rawr.

I have a graphics card and Wi-Fi card simultaneously in my PC, I have my Wi-Fi card in the lowest possible motherboard PCI slot, not sure if this could help but worth a try to reseat some stuff.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

It shouldn't be a board limitation, on my b350 board I have actually shifted the main GPU down into the lowest x16 slot as the lanes are fairly close together in this board and my LSI HBA card would be partially blocking the GPUs intake fans if in the "normal" position... there has been no adverse effects, not that I expected any. Also shouldn't have anything in BIOS to change either.

I suspect the pci card is faulty, have any other systems or friends systems to test it on?

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

10 minutes ago, seoz said:

I have a graphics card and Wi-Fi card simultaneously in my PC, I have my Wi-Fi card in the lowest possible motherboard PCI slot, not sure if this could help but worth a try to reseat some stuff.

Thanks, that's what I'm trying at the moment. Maybe I'll flip it around?

21 minutes ago, Sernefarian said:

I might try re-seating my components just in case I bumped anything during installation. Once I did that I would check to make sure the build still boots without the TP-Link card. If it does then I might see about purchasing a USB Wi-Fi solution. It would be suboptimal, but on the upside would likely affect case thermals significantly less.

Ya the system works fine without the wifi card... I think if none of the other suggestions work I'll have to go the USB route...

6 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

It shouldn't be a board limitation, on my b350 board I have actually shifted the main GPU down into the lowest x16 slot as the lanes are fairly close together in this board and my LSI HBA card would be partially blocking the GPUs intake fans if in the "normal" position... there has been no adverse effects, not that I expected any. Also shouldn't have anything in BIOS to change either.

I suspect the pci card is faulty, have any other systems or friends systems to test it on?

Unfortunately I've got no other systems... I'll try putting my GPU into the bottom x16 slot to see if the wifi card works in the x1 slot. Otherwise I'll try returning the wifi card.

43 minutes ago, Intrepid Goat said:

Thanks, that's what I'm trying at the moment. Maybe I'll flip it around?

If by flip, you mean GPU on the lowest slot and Wi-Fi card on the highest slot, that's a lot of performance drop, but probably worth a try.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

So no luck with re-seating the cards... I'll be returning the wifi card tomorrow, thanks for your help guys!

16 hours ago, seoz said:

If by flip, you mean GPU on the lowest slot and Wi-Fi card on the highest slot, that's a lot of performance drop, but probably worth a try.

Lowest x16 slot he meant, there'd be no performance drop IIRC as pci-e 2.0 is still good enough for all but the newest titan I believe.

OP, sorry we couldn't help, hope you get it sorted :)

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini