PSA: Do not update MSI B150M Bazooka BIOS to 7982vIG

The 7982vIG BIOS was released maybe a day or two ago. Do not update to it, as it will probably brick your computer like it did to mine.

After downloading, I stuck it on a flash drive and booted into the BIOS to begin the update process. It made it to ~20% before the computer restarted itself inexplicably. My motherboard is now dead and it's out of warranty. :(

Contact MSI. This is their BIOS update and their fuckup, and they should fix it regardless.

Especially considering this is a board where you cannot remove the SPI flash if a flash goes wrong.

idk

It isn't called a MSI BAZOOKA for nothing... ?

Just now, Droidbot said:

Contact MSI. This is their BIOS update and their fuckup, and they should fix it regardless.

Especially considering this is a board where you cannot remove the SPI flash if a flash goes wrong.

I just submitted a detailed support ticket. Crossing my fingers that they'll do something :(

On 7/10/2018 at 3:03 AM, Droidbot said:

So, I ended up fixing it by following this guide I found:

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=269702.0

My PC turned on, restarted itself twice, and gave me the "Your BIOS is corrupted" message. I chose to use the old file, since I knew that one actually worked, and it flashed successfully! My PC is back to normal.

Happy ending :)

They do stop and start again a couple times in the process. Just don't freak out and pull the plug when it does.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

21 hours ago, asand1 said:

They do stop and start again a couple times in the process. Just don't freak out and pull the plug when it does.

When my PC restarted during the update, it hadn't finished flashing the BIOS yet. I waited approximately 5 minutes before manually turning it back off. There was no display signal at all.

But the important thing is that it works now :D

• 3 years later...
On 7/11/2018 at 1:17 PM, Shadestones said:

So, I ended up fixing it by following this guide I found:

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=269702.0

My PC turned on, restarted itself twice, and gave me the "Your BIOS is corrupted" message. I chose to use the old file, since I knew that one actually worked, and it flashed successfully! My PC is back to normal.

Happy ending :)

The link is not working. Can you tell me how it's done?