Why the *frick* does my PC only boot in ubuntu?

PJemus

I have tried windows 10 usb, windows 8.1 usb, windows 7 usb, and windows xp usb, but every single time my PC BSODs with the message 'driver_irql_not_less_or_equal', but with ubuntu, the system boots absolutely fine, and I have even run ubuntu server with raid 0 setup on it. Why the hell does it not work with windows???

The board is lga775 running a core two duo. All I know about the board is that it was from one of my old school's digital technology classes, and I got it with maintenance mode jumper on, and with a bent CPU pin (the reason they got rid of it) that I fixed.

Sounds like it has a problem with a driver for one of the components. I know that doesn't help you one bit, but yeah, that's Windows for ya.

Start by removing all non-critical components (like optical drives, add-in cards not necessary for basic functionality like sound cards, graphics cards, special controllers etc.) and seeing if it'll work that way. Only remove the GPU if you have onboard graphics of course.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

microsoft_o_641703.gif

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

16 minutes ago, Granular said:

Your PC is rejecting operating systems that disrespect your freedoms. Be thankful.

I want windows XP for the old game support though

20 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

Sounds like it has a problem with a driver for one of the components. I know that doesn't help you one bit, but yeah, that's Windows for ya.

Start by removing all non-critical components (like optical drives, add-in cards not necessary for basic functionality like sound cards, graphics cards, special controllers etc.) and seeing if it'll work that way. Only remove the GPU if you have onboard graphics of course.

I have taken everything out apart from the CPU and a stick of ram. Is there a way to load the drivers on to the boot usb or something like that?

19 minutes ago, PJemus said:

I want windows XP for the old game support though

XP? try changing the sata thing from ahci to ide in the bios.

be aware that this can break your other OS's on the pc.

DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK

She/Her

The solution was to hunt down a bios update and flash the bios with USB. Luckily it is an intel board, and so there is a lot of support.

12 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

XP? try changing the sata thing from ahci to ide in the bios.

be aware that this can break your other OS's on the pc.

DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK

Thank you. This fixed the XP issues I had after the BSOD issues.