Auto convert videos over network (Like the watercooled server)

Linus has a watercooled server, and i have an old machine that I would like to use to do the same thing.  If you don't watch his videos, and don't remember from the recent tour, it is a server that watches a folder for video files, and then auto converts them to another format.  I would like to do this with an older machine so that I don't use CPU time on my newer (and better machine) on encoding when i could be gaming.  Is there a free way to do this?  I don't want to have to pay for adobe software.  the file formats i will be dealing with are mp4, mov, and flv.  

Yes, pretty sure you can do it with FFMPEG.

Magical Pineapples

One of the issues is the settings is going to be different for each video if they all come from different sources. If you're converting raw footage from the same sets of cameras like Linus it can be automated much easier.

Some good reading in the comments:

1 hour ago, Mikensan said:

One of the issues is the settings is going to be different for each video if they all come from different sources. If you're converting raw footage from the same sets of cameras like Linus it can be automated much easier.

Some good reading in the comments:

I am only importing from 2-3 sources, Obs (flv) my dads camera (mov) and sometimes my iPhone. (I forgot).  I’ll check the reddit post when I have better than 3g internet. 

1 hour ago, Creeper1372677 said:

I am only importing from 2-3 sources, Obs (flv) my dads camera (mov) and sometimes my iPhone. (I forgot).  I’ll check the reddit post when I have better than 3g internet. 

oh in that case default settings could get you by - I was thinking movie rips.