Fill all RAM Slots! Really?!?!

Go to solution Solved by Razor Blade,
15 minutes ago, HiGuyz said:

Ok. I just read somewhere that dual was not supported on DDR4 and only on 2 and 3

Always refer to the manufacturer's recommendation when it comes to stuff like this. For this case, look on ASRock's website for "Memory QVL" (QVL stands for Qualified Vendor List) which will tell you what memory kit part numbers are supported. You can also refer to the manual of your motherboard model to show how to install your RAM kits. Most manuals I've seen will cover how to install less than the max number of DIMMs. For example if you have 2 DIMMs and your motherboard supports up to 4, the manual will tell you how to install just those two.

I am currently buying a custom pc build rig. I am using the ASrock Z370 Extreme4 and wondering weather or not i HAVE to populate all RAM Slots with 4GB ram sticks. I am looking to have 16GB ram and it is cheaper to have 2 8GB ram sticks. Will the motherboard support this?

1 minute ago, Shimejii said:

No you dont have to fill all slots. Usually its the Gray slots you have to fill for dual channel memory to work ( Check your MOBO manual to make sure of the positioning.) 

Ok. I just read somewhere that dual was not supported on DDR4 and only on 2 and 3

2 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

Nope, Dual channel is supported by your board. Wherever you read that was wrong and you should never read from there again. Not a trustworthy source

Will  do. Thanks for your response(i saved bout 50 quid)

15 minutes ago, HiGuyz said:

Always refer to the manufacturer's recommendation when it comes to stuff like this. For this case, look on ASRock's website for "Memory QVL" (QVL stands for Qualified Vendor List) which will tell you what memory kit part numbers are supported. You can also refer to the manual of your motherboard model to show how to install your RAM kits. Most manuals I've seen will cover how to install less than the max number of DIMMs. For example if you have 2 DIMMs and your motherboard supports up to 4, the manual will tell you how to install just those two.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

27 minutes ago, Razor Blade said:

For this case, look on ASRock's website for "Memory QVL" (QVL stands for Qualified Vendor List) which will tell you what memory kit part numbers are supported

That's not how it works. The QVL says which kits have been tested to work, and with which settings.

Kits that are on the QVL may not work, and kits that are not on the QVL might work for him. 

:)

2 hours ago, seon123 said:

*snip*

might work

*snip* 

key words...I'm not going to advise anyone to try any random memory that may or may not work with their motherboard. If someone wants to mess around with memory combinations or seeing if memory works with a certain board, that is one thing. If someone is asking if every slot needs to be populated in order for their computer to work, that's another.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler