6 and one more ways to make you're PC faster.

Nathan cole

I imagine that a lot of people has wondered how to make their PC faster.

So to make your PC faster follow the steps below;

1.Enable "High performance" mode, to do this simply open control panel by typing into the search bar and open control panel.

once you are there click on power options.

Then click create a power plan.

5b3fb3bd501ad_Capture1.PNG.c28375a95934b3e843ea787da6c36e18.PNG

After doing that click "high performance", next and create.

2.delete unwanted programs.

Is there any programs that you haven't used in ages lurking around on your hard drive? because there probably is.

Just spend 30 minutes looking through you're files and folders and remove any unwanted junk, and dont forget to empty the recycle bin too!

3. Defrag you're hard drive.

To defrag you're drive you're drive you can type up on the search bar defrag and click optimise on the defrag software.

BUT dont defrag if you have an ssd (solid state drive) otherwise this will cause unwanted wear and tear on it and reduce its lifespan.

4. Antivirus programs.

If you have 3 or 4 or even more antivirus programs on your pc, no wonder its so slow!

Just think about it, all of those virus programs constantly scanning your PC, slowing it down.

So delete all of those and get 1 good antivirus program, or like i do use windows defender :)

5. Get an ssd (solid state drive)

Getting an ssd can be a bit expensive but it does make a difference, ive even experienced it for myself!

I had a WD black at 7,200 rpm and swapped to a 120gb Kingston and wow, it only takes 10 seconds to get to the login screen, and my PC is from 2012!

But there is 1 downside, you lose all of youre files and apps ect, because you have to install windows onto it :(

6. get more RAM

RAM (random assess memory) is Random Access Memory (RAM) is the hardware in a computing device where the operating system (OS), application programs and data in current use are kept so they can be quickly reached by the device's processor.

If you have under 4 gb of the stuff upgrade, the way to find out in windows 10 is to open settings and type about and click system and look at the ram.5b3fbaf5f386e_Capture123.PNG.f4f5a50c513caec3774ded3dc45ebac8.PNG

And if it is 4 or under you might want to consider upgrading, visit this video on how to upgrade ram..

7. Well im sorry to say this but if you've tried all of these tricks and more around the internet, its time to get a new PC,sorry to say it but you do.....

Thank you for reading and have a nice day :)

28 minutes ago, Nathan cole said:

To defrag you're drive you're drive you can type up on the search bar defrag and click optimise on the defrag software.

BUT dont defrag if you have an ssd (solid state drive) otherwise this will cause unwanted wear and tear on it and reduce its lifespan.

To add to this:

Trying to defrag an SSD will achieve no benefit but it WILL wear out your SSD faster (there is a limit on writes before they become unreliable). 

Spinning rust hard disks still do need some defragging in Windows 10. Though, the NTFS file system does tend to have less fragmentations issues than FAT-32 providing you maintain a reasonable amount of free space. If you are running very tight, the file system has no option but to fragment files. Some third party defraggers, e.g. Auslogics Defrag, will give you a map of the current state of your HDDs (quick) before you embark on a Defrag (slow).

Most Linux file systems don't need defragging.

Welcome to 1995

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

you're PC

I've always wanted to be a pc, and with the help of this tutorial i can finally fulfill my destiny. xD

you're hard drive

Wait now i am a hard drive? im so confused. o.O

3 minutes ago, Some Random Member said:

I've always wanted to be a pc, and with the help of this tutorial i can finally fulfill my destiny. xD

Wait now i am a hard drive? im so confused. o.O

Don't forget to defrag yourself from time to time ;)

#2 is hogwash. As long as you don't have programs loading with Windows, or have your drive(s) completely filled, unused programs won't harm your PC's operating speed.

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7-6850k @ 4.2GHz

GPU: 2x FE GTX 1080Ti

Memory: 16GB PNY Anarchy DDR4 3200MHz

Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme 4

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.7GHz

GPU: GTX 1050

Memory: 8GB Curcial Ballistix DDR4 2133MHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H

12 minutes ago, Nathan cole said:

I imagine that a lot of people has wondered how to make their PC faster.

So to make your PC faster follow the steps below;

1.Enable "High performance" mode, to do this simply open control panel by typing into the search bar and open control panel.

once you are there click on power options.

Then click create a power plan.

Incorrect information. Your desktop CPU is very fast in switching power states as the CPU power states works with OS. Both intercommunicate between each other to have minimal impact in having the CPU clock faster. That delay is reduced with Intel latest chips. In addition, the delay in performance only occurs when the start of the load happens.

High performance can also REDUCE performance, by having your CPU unable to turbo boost faster or as long due to the increase system temperatures.  This is even more so true on a laptop, where you can cause throttling or simply never have Turbo Boost, locking your CPU at its base clock.

On a laptop, you may only have Balance power profile depending if it support Connected Standby feature or not. Mobile system have an additional performance slider, which changes the behavior of Windows. For example setting it to converse power, disable transparency effects, disable live tiles, and so on, to help maximize battery life.

2.delete unwanted programs.

Is there any programs that you haven't used in ages lurking around on your hard drive? because there probably is.

Just spend 30 minutes looking through you're files and folders and remove any unwanted junk, and dont forget to empty the recycle bin too!

While keeping things tiddy is always welcome, none running program does not affect performance of the system. Only if it runs, or has a service that runs it does.

Actually, for SSD  it was only true for the early generation of drives. Today, SSD can be freely trashed. Even TLC based chips SSDs are pretty durable. Also TLC chip based SSDs from Samsung, may need to be defragmented to keep performance up. As the data stored degrades over time (even if the system is off), and needs to be re-written. Samsung Magician tool has a tool inside which rewrites all the data to help solve this issue for the affected drives.

4. Antivirus programs.

If you have 3 or 4 or even more antivirus programs on your pc, no wonder its so slow!

Well, Windows only supports 1 anti-virus running with read time protection, if you have more than one than you have a conflict.

22 minutes ago, Christophe Corazza said:

To add to this:

Trying to defrag an SSD will achieve no benefit but it WILL wear out your SSD faster (there is a limit on writes before they become unreliable). 

Spinning rust hard disks still do need defragging in Windows. Though, the NTFS file system does tend to have less fragmentations issues than FAT-32 providing you maintain a reasonable amount of free space. If you are running very tight, the file system has no option but to fragment files. Some third party defraggers, e.g. Auslogics Defrag, will give you a map of the current state of your HDDs (quick) before you embark on a Defrag (slow).

Most Linux file systems don't need defragging.

Windows actually does Defragment SSDs it does however do this intelligently and there are benefits to it, most importantly the metadata that SSDs store can grow too large if the drive isnt "cleaned" up by a defrag. (at least historically that metadata can get too large, im not sure if things have improves with newer drives and chipsets)

7 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

That delay is reduced with Intel latest chips. In addition, the delay in performance only occurs when the start of the load happens.

Not necessarily. There are instances where in CPU bound games, having the power plan set to balanced can actually hurt performance. I remember the difference between Balanced and High Performance costing me over 10 FPS in MMOs with high player densities.

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7-6850k @ 4.2GHz

GPU: 2x FE GTX 1080Ti

Memory: 16GB PNY Anarchy DDR4 3200MHz

Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme 4

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.7GHz

GPU: GTX 1050

Memory: 8GB Curcial Ballistix DDR4 2133MHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H

8 minutes ago, factorialandha said:

Windows actually does Defragment SSDs it does however do this intelligently and there are benefits to it, most importantly the metadata that SSDs store can grow too large if the drive isnt "cleaned" up by a defrag. (at least historically that metadata can get too large, im not sure if things have improves with newer drives and chipsets)

No does not. Unless you use Windows 7 and manually defrag. What Windows 8/10 does is execute TRIM process.

2 hours ago, Christophe Corazza said:

Don't forget to defrag yourself from time to time ;)

defrag youreself xD 

6 and one more ways to make you're PC faster.

OMG, really? Do people still need another clone of mixed myths and obvious advices?

Let's see:

"Delete unwanted programs".

It doesn't make your windows faster, unless some of these programs starts with system. And even then - it may slow down a boot process, but some of these programs may be useful and makes faster system operation. And rest of programs? This is operating system - more programs equals better functionality. Few video players, few music players, some nice tools, few picture viewers for different operations, filemanagers, viewers, ftp clients, browsers, image editors and all different programs that helps to open all files that you may work with or even get from someone. Faster computer is when you can do everything, not looking for program every time you need to do something.

"Defrag hard drive"

How that may help really improve performance these days, when most of people have SSD for system? Ok, defrag is good for HDD and may speed up a little reading/writes files when disk is highly fragmented, but it's not what user should be concerned these days, when the system can defrag drives while idle.

"Antivirus programs"

If you want to make your PC faster - uninstall AV and disable Defender. If you want to be safe - use AV or Defender. You can't have your cake and eat it. There is always a compromise between speed and security, but if your post is about how to make PC faster - answer is only one.

"Get an SSD"

That's obvious. But then you write about downside - "you lose all your files and apps because you have to install windows onto it". Really? Have you ever heard about disk cloning software? Do you really install system every time you change your hard drive? That must be your hobby then, because it's absolutely not needed. Even some SSD manufacturers offer software for cloning with their products.

"Get more RAM"

95% of users do not need that. They will not notice the difference between 4, 8 and 16 GB in most cases. Ok, 4 is not so much, but keep in mind, that not so long ago most of users had 2GB RAM max (because of 32 bit systems limitations) and everyone was happy. Now people buy 16 GB even if they want to use browser and email client.

I can add more useless hints like: scan your system every week, use ccleaner and other registry cleaners tools, update your drivers every week, reinstall your system every month etc. (but seriously - do not do any of these things).

This topic is bad and should be removed, because this is good forum and some users can believe that these advices are real.

2 hours ago, Frankenburger said:

Not necessarily. There are instances where in CPU bound games, having the power plan set to balanced can actually hurt performance. I remember the difference between Balanced and High Performance costing me over 10 FPS in MMOs with high player densities.

Well i guess its different performance in different situations

2 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

OMG, really? Do people still need another clone of mixed myths and obvious advices?

Let's see:

"Delete unwanted programs".

It doesn't make your windows faster, unless some of these programs starts with system. And even then - it may slow down a boot process, but some of these programs may be useful and makes faster system operation. And rest of programs? This is operating system - more programs equals better functionality. Few video players, few music players, some nice tools, few picture viewers for different operations, filemanagers, viewers, ftp clients, browsers, image editors and all different programs that helps to open all files that you may work with or even get from someone. Faster computer is when you can do everything, not looking for program every time you need to do something.

"Defrag hard drive"

How that may help really improve performance these days, when most of people have SSD for system? Ok, defrag is good for HDD and may speed up a little reading/writes files when disk is highly fragmented, but it's not what user should be concerned these days, when the system can defrag drives while idle.

"Antivirus programs"

If you want to make your PC faster - uninstall AV and disable Defender. If you want to be safe - use AV or Defender. You can't have your cake and eat it. There is always a compromise between speed and security, but if your post is about how to make PC faster - answer is only one.

"Get an SSD"

That's obvious. But then you write about downside - "you lose all your files and apps because you have to install windows onto it". Really? Have you ever heard about disk cloning software? Do you really install system every time you change your hard drive? That must be your hobby then, because it's absolutely not needed. Even some SSD manufacturers offer software for cloning with their products.

"Get more RAM"

95% of users do not need that. They will not notice the difference between 4, 8 and 16 GB in most cases. Ok, 4 is not so much, but keep in mind, that not so long ago most of users had 2GB RAM max (because of 32 bit systems limitations) and everyone was happy. Now people buy 16 GB even if they want to use browser and email client.

I can add more useless hints like: scan your system every week, use ccleaner and other registry cleaners tools, update your drivers every week, reinstall your system every month etc. (but seriously - do not do any of these things).

theres all ways someone to diss something -_-