Windows 10 Blue Screen and Game Crashing

Elo Gaming

I built my gaming pc a while ago and it ran fine this whole time. A couple days ago though, I was exporting a 4k video that I was editing and then windows crashed mid export and it was a blue screen saying error:memory management. So I thought maybe it was because I was doing to many things at once since I only have 8gb of memory. So I hit the reset button and windows booted up and I updated my bios since I fell like that was neccesary. But the next day, i was just browsing the web and it did the same thing;froze up and blue screened. So I didnt know what to do so I checked my task manager for unusual activity and didnt find anything. So i just forgot about it for another couple days and didnt try any other troubleshooting since i was busy. Earlier today though, I booted up Ghost Recon Wildlands since i havent played in a long time, and got into to the game, and for some reason, only a few minutes in the game froze and closed by itself. So I restarted the game, same thing happened. Then suddenly my internet browser closed. I opened it again and it was fine and restored everything but my computer is like messed up and I have no clue what to do. :/

Check if you have any overclocks on gpu or otherwise

• CPU
    I5-8400
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte B360 ds3h
  • RAM
    2*8gb Vengence 2400 ddr4
  • GPU
    ASUS gtx 1060
  • Case
    Fractal define c mini windowed
  • Storage
    1tb WD blue and 240gb sandisk ssd
  • PSU
    550w bronze corsair cxm (grey)
  • Operating System
    windows 10

34 minutes ago, Ulta said:

Check if you have any overclocks on gpu or otherwise

Ok so I checked the bios and none of the overclocking settings were changed so I booted up windows and checked MSI Afterburner and it had a -64 on the core clock by default (and i have no clue why because i did not set it) so I reset all the values to default and applied it.

Is your pagefile big enough? Were there any other error codes than memory management?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

11 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Is your pagefile big enough? Were there any other error codes than memory management?

i had another one and it said "sqrl not less or equal" not sure what that meant

Have you scanned for malware? If so, what did you use? Rootkits wont show up in task manager.

8 hours ago, Elo Gaming said:

i had another one and it said "sqrl not less or equal" not sure what that meant

That's either unstable OC or driver conflict. Have you OC'd CPU?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

9 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

That's either unstable OC or driver conflict. Have you OC'd CPU?

Not that i know of. I just got another error blue screen saying "Kernel Security Check Failure" and i have no clue what it means.

15 hours ago, Amazonsucks said:

Have you scanned for malware? If so, what did you use? Rootkits wont show up in task manager.

i havent yet but i going to now.

6 minutes ago, Elo Gaming said:

Not that i know of. I just got another error blue screen saying "Kernel Security Check Failure" and i have no clue what it means.

That one isn't so common that I could tell reason. You could get actual error codes and start google. But from experience Windows isn't easy to troubleshoot. Same error could have several causes. From drivers to thermals to RAM issues to update issues etc. etc.

Have you checked how temps are? Maybe screen shot of system monitor with stress test running? Worst thing would be need to reinstall Windows.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

18 hours ago, Amazonsucks said:

MalwarebytesReport.PNG

4 hours ago, Elo Gaming said:

MalwarebytesReport.PNG

Did you turn rootkit scanning on in the settings? There is a specific option for it in Malwarebytes(which is awesome because it uses REAL exploit mitigations btw). 

The trojan and bitcoin miners could explain the BSODs and if there is still a rootkit you REALLY need to make sure its gone so do a threat scan with rootkit detection enabled if you havent.

You may wanna go to the Malwarebytes forum and have them walk you through their full procedure, which involves them having you run FRST and some other tools, verifying that its secure and helping you fix damage an infection could have caused. Its free even if you dont have premium.

You should probably also get Microsoft Sysinternals Process Explorer(basically Task Manager for power users) and Autoruns and familiarize yourself with them. They now have VirusTotal(owned by google) MD5 hash comparison for all processes integrated Process Explorer so you can see how many antimalware programs out if about 65 scanning engines detect processes on your system, as well as detailed info on the process.

You should also try to figure out where you got a trojan and bitcoin miners from, so you dont get reinfected.

20 minutes ago, Amazonsucks said:

Did you turn rootkit scanning on in the settings? There is a specific option for it in Malwarebytes(which is awesome because it uses REAL exploit mitigations btw). 

The trojan and bitcoin miners could explain the BSODs and if there is still a rootkit you REALLY need to make sure its gone so do a threat scan with rootkit detection enabled if you havent.

You may wanna go to the Malwarebytes forum and have them walk you through their full procedure, which involves them having you run FRST and some other tools, verifying that its secure and helping you fix damage an infection could have caused. Its free even if you dont have premium.

You should probably also get Microsoft Sysinternals Process Explorer(basically Task Manager for power users) and Autoruns and familiarize yourself with them. They now have VirusTotal(owned by google) MD5 hash comparison for all processes integrated Process Explorer so you can see how many antimalware programs out if about 65 scanning engines detect processes on your system, as well as detailed info on the process.

You should also try to figure out where you got a trojan and bitcoin miners from, so you dont get reinfected.

alright let me see what i can do. Thx for the help by the way :) Edit: i just did a full scan with malwarebytes and nothing was detected. I was also playing Ghost Recon Wildlands and it froze after like 7 minutes and then the computer blue screened again with a different error saying "Fault in Nonpaged Area"

All errors so far: Memory Management, IRQL Not Less or Equal, Fault in Nonpaged Area

It sounds like you either have corrupted system files/drivers, possibly from the malware or failing hardware somewhere. My suspicion is corrupted system files as of now. 

Are you familiar with how to do sfc and DISM in Windows 10? I would try those procedures and see if it fixes it.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026529/windows-10-using-system-file-checker

Then i would do a clean install of your GPU drivers, and definitely run Windows built in memory diagnostic.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-check-your-pc-memory-problems-windows-10

If that fails i would either try the Malwarebytes forum or backup all your data to an external drive(just files not a system image!), reinstall Windows, then install Malwarebytes on the fresh Windows install, scan the external backup and start fresh. Thats a last resort though.

2 hours ago, Amazonsucks said:

It sounds like you either have corrupted system files/drivers, possibly from the malware or failing hardware somewhere. My suspicion is corrupted system files as of now. 

Are you familiar with how to do sfc and DISM in Windows 10? I would try those procedures and see if it fixes it.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026529/windows-10-using-system-file-checker

Then i would do a clean install of your GPU drivers, and definitely run Windows built in memory diagnostic.

If that fails i would either try the Malwarebytes forum or backup all your data to an external drive(just files not a system image!), reinstall Windows, then install Malwarebytes on the fresh Windows install, scan the external backup and start fresh. Thats a last resort though.

thx i will look into it

7 hours ago, Elo Gaming said:

thx i will look into it

Lemme know how it goes. 

On 7/6/2018 at 6:34 PM, Amazonsucks said:

So I got Process Explorer and Autoruns and I looked through everything but I did not find anything like a rootkit, trojan, bitcoin miner, etc. But, I did find that some windows processes said "Path: [Error Opening Process]" when I hovered over them. Those processes include smss.exe and Memory Compression. Could these perhaps be the problem?

On 7/6/2018 at 7:08 PM, Amazonsucks said:

Ok i have done the steps in the first link and everything was good I am pretty sure. Command Prompt said Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations. I am going to try the second link now.

3 hours ago, Elo Gaming said:

So I got Process Explorer and Autoruns and I looked through everything but I did not find anything like a rootkit, trojan, bitcoin miner, etc. But, I did find that some windows processes said "Path: [Error Opening Process]" when I hovered over them. Those processes include smss.exe and Memory Compression. Could these perhaps be the problem?

Make sure to go to File and View Details From All Processes, and enable virus total and verify image signatures in options.

Some things dont have virus total links or the ability to do anything to them. You should be able to view the properties od smss if you view details of all processes or run as admin.

4 hours ago, Amazonsucks said:

Make sure to go to File and View Details From All Processes, and enable virus total and verify image signatures in options.

Some things dont have virus total links or the ability to do anything to them. You should be able to view the properties od smss if you view details of all processes or run as admin.

I checked everything and they were all verified except Citrio which said the certificate was expired or something of that sort. I tried uninstalling it but it would install. I started another post on it because I didnt want to get it mixed up because I didnt know if it was related.

Update: I just got another blue screen and I have narrowed it down. It happens only when I play games or I do something like render a video or something resource intensive. The blue screen said "error:System Thread Exception Not Handled" and it also said the problem thing was "nvlddmkm.sys". anyone know what it is?

All current blue screen error codes:

- Memory Management

-IRQL Not Less or Equal

-Fault in Nonpaged Area

-Kernel Security Check Failure

-System Thread Exception Not Handled

I just did a malwarebytes scan and got Trojan.Agent.VBS quarintined. what next

8 hours ago, Elo Gaming said:

I just did a malwarebytes scan and got Trojan.Agent.VBS quarintined. what next

Didnt you run malwarebytes and get that before? Did you quarantine all threats the first time? You shouldnt be getting the same malware again with MBAM trial active on your system.

If you quarantined all threats the first time, then either:

You didnt have rootkit detection on and you have a rootkit reinfecting you or

Youre dealing with malware that has advanced persistence techniques or

You reinfected yourself with some program you reinstalled or a site you visit manually.

Heres what i want you to do. Quarantine that trojan. Reboot if it says to.

Then i want you to double check that you have rootkit scanning on in settings. Run another Threat Scan. Quarantine anything it finds. Tell me what, if anything, is found.

Then, for a second opinion, run a Windows Defender quick scan.

For a third run this:

https://www.f-secure.com/en_US/web/home_us/online-scanner

Let me know if any malware is detected.

Once youre sure the PC is clean, you need to check your Windows Firewall, make sure its on and maybe even reset it to defaults. Youll just have to allow programs one time when you launch them.

Once youre sure theres no malware on your system, THEN do SFC and DISM again.

8 hours ago, Amazonsucks said:

Didnt you run malwarebytes and get that before? Did you quarantine all threats the first time? You shouldnt be getting the same malware again with MBAM trial active on your system.

If you quarantined all threats the first time, then either:

You didnt have rootkit detection on and you have a rootkit reinfecting you or

Youre dealing with malware that has advanced persistence techniques or

You reinfected yourself with some program you reinstalled or a site you visit manually.

Heres what i want you to do. Quarantine that trojan. Reboot if it says to.

Then i want you to double check that you have rootkit scanning on in settings. Run another Threat Scan. Quarantine anything it finds. Tell me what, if anything, is found.

Then, for a second opinion, run a Windows Defender quick scan.

For a third run this:

https://www.f-secure.com/en_US/web/home_us/online-scanner

Let me know if any malware is detected.

Once youre sure the PC is clean, you need to check your Windows Firewall, make sure its on and maybe even reset it to defaults. Youll just have to allow programs one time when you launch them.

Once youre sure theres no malware on your system, THEN do SFC and DISM again.

This was actually the first time I found the trojan even tho i scanned before and i think i did a specific scan maybe thats why it showed up. but yeah i wil follow those steps.