Upgrade Router or Hold Out For 802.11ax

Go to solution Solved by Donut417,
On 7/2/2018 at 8:01 PM, fakeirish said:

So I am doing a fairly large upgrade to my home network and saw during E3 that 802.11ax routers would be released around Q4 this year and/or Q1 2019; would it be better to just buy a nice router now or wait for the release of the new version? First I am aware of the risk of buying new tech, and the expenses that come with it, second I am a patient man so time isn't an issue. Thanks for any thoughts.

To my understanding AX is just an upgrade to AC. Most likely some performance increases but yeah. Also, Id expect it should have WPA 3 as well, at least from what I read.  Is it worth the wait? Honestly I think AC does a good enough job for now, plus consider the cost of an AX router, they aint going to be cheap when they are released. I perfer to wait until the standard matures before investing in to it. Because how long until phones and other devices have AX chips? Who knows. 

So I am doing a fairly large upgrade to my home network and saw during E3 that 802.11ax routers would be released around Q4 this year and/or Q1 2019; would it be better to just buy a nice router now or wait for the release of the new version? First I am aware of the risk of buying new tech, and the expenses that come with it, second I am a patient man so time isn't an issue. Thanks for any thoughts.

What actual requirements do you have in your network?  The only thing you've given us is that you feel enticed by the shininess.

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C 

Are you planning on buying devices to take advantage of 802.11ax also or are you just wanting the latest and greatest thing?

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

There's no point. If your network doesn't have extremely confidential passwords such as logins for Microsoft or any secret code, the upgrade isn't worth it.

hi.

If you're building your network up then you can plan with ax in mind. Find out the ranges and penetration then setup AC routers for now and then when you need the extra speed you can replace the routers with ax ones. By that time there should be reasonable priced ones to.

First I realize I didn't include much information besides being tempted by the "shininess" sorry about that. So as for the requirement is mainly having ethernet ports that allow 10 GB/s. While it will be used for mainly gaming, there will be cloud storage attached for a lawyer who has case sensitive information on it and needs some level of privacy. I also live in an area where there's multiple other wifi signals in the area.  It is currently connected to a 100 MB/s connection while waiting for a 1 GB/s connection to come to my area. I currently have bought some fairly new switches (2) to be connected to it along with a NAS(that hasn't been bought yet) for cloud storage and the ISPs modem/router with the intention to maybe add WAPs later. I would also like to use software that controls the various devices conected. As of now I currently have 4 active devices that need constant access to wifi, while having another 11 or so that will be connected throughout the day. There is some intention of "future proofing" as more devices are using wifi and my understanding is 802.11ax will handle multiple devices necessary for the household. Once again thanks for your thoughts and sorry for the lack of information previously. 

On 7/2/2018 at 8:01 PM, fakeirish said:

To my understanding AX is just an upgrade to AC. Most likely some performance increases but yeah. Also, Id expect it should have WPA 3 as well, at least from what I read.  Is it worth the wait? Honestly I think AC does a good enough job for now, plus consider the cost of an AX router, they aint going to be cheap when they are released. I perfer to wait until the standard matures before investing in to it. Because how long until phones and other devices have AX chips? Who knows. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.