Cause of Random Red Polygons on Desktop?

What is creating those giant red "artifacts"? I know it's not normal artifacting, because it can be hidden beneath windows. I'm using the same version of wallpaper engine and the same mild overclock on my 1070 I've been using for months. This version of Windows Insider has also been used by me for more than a month. No new/unrecognized programs are running in task manager. They come and go randomly, sometimes in different places and in different shapes/sizes.

Screenshot (38).png

Screenshot (35).png

1 minute ago, MiNy said:

That looks like a wallpaper issue to me. If you change wallpaper, does the red artifcating still persist?

Unfortunately, yes. Also, I have been using this wallpaper for a very, very long time :(

28 minutes ago, Auyott said:

-snip-

This is almost always related to vram because that's where textures are stored. Are you overclocked?

17 minutes ago, r34lj4k3 said:

This is almost always related to vram because that's where textures are stored. Are you overclocked?

Yes, but I have been using the overclock safely for quite awhile. I also removed it and the artifacts persisted.

42 minutes ago, Auyott said:

Yes, but I have been using the overclock safely for quite awhile. I also removed it and the artifacts persisted.

Does this happen with every background? Is it always in the same spot? Does this happen in games? It won't be the same, but you'll see some sort of artifact behavior.

14 minutes ago, r34lj4k3 said:

Does this happen with every background? Is it always in the same spot? Does this happen in games? It won't be the same, but you'll see some sort of artifact behavior.

I am familiar with how normal graphics card artifacting functions, as I used it to gauge my highest stable overclock. It does not occur anywhere apart from on the desktop. It does occur with different wallpapers, but no, it is not always in the same spot. It shifts and grows randomly. Right now, it's not even there. It has been gone for a good half-hour now. This just started happening. I've been using this overclock for months with no issues. I even have a relatively low boost to my core clock because Doom caused artifiacting awhile back, so I dropped it further, and naturally, that fixed the issue.

26 minutes ago, Auyott said:

I am familiar with how normal graphics card artifacting functions, as I used it to gauge my highest stable overclock. It does not occur anywhere apart from on the desktop. It does occur with different wallpapers, but no, it is not always in the same spot. It shifts and grows randomly. Right now, it's not even there. It has been gone for a good half-hour now. This just started happening. I've been using this overclock for months with no issues. I even have a relatively low boost to my core clock because Doom caused artifiacting awhile back, so I dropped it further, and naturally, that fixed the issue.

If the problem is your vram, as I suspect, your core clock is irrelevant. Just to be sure, you should remove all OCs and test. Hardware wears down over time so a card that's seen a lot of use will wear down over time and what was once stable won't be anymore. 

31 minutes ago, r34lj4k3 said:

If the problem is your vram, as I suspect, your core clock is irrelevant. Just to be sure, you should remove all OCs and test. Hardware wears down over time so a card that's seen a lot of use will wear down over time and what was once stable won't be anymore. 

Lol, now I can't even replicate it with my OC enabled. It's just gone. Earlier, though, I did get the issue to occur with stock clocks. I would still like to know what caused it. I'm thinking it's software related, otherwise I would probably have artifacting in games and the such. It even appears to happen underneath my rainmeter widgets, meaning it must be only on the desktop layer itself.