i5 8600k Overclock speed, voltage and temperature

Go to solution Solved by DocSwag,
11 hours ago, ElderNoob said:

So i just finished an hour of prime95 test just now (Blend Test), it didn't crash nor stopped, HWinfo64 never showed any kind of throttling.

However, a couple of cores showed max temp of 92 at some point, but most of the time its between 75-85 deg. Is this healthy?

92 is usually a bit high, though I think that since prime95 is so unrealistically hard on your CPU that in day to day usage it should be fine.

Also i noticed the TDP from XTU running on the background, I saw it showed briefly some 115W TDP, i remember the TDP of i5 8600k is just 95W..is it ok? it never registered any throttling due to this though. and mostly it sits at 80W TDP..

The 95w is only at stock. When you OC it's gonna increase the TDP by a lot... I reckon the 115W also isn't 100% accurate as your CPU is probably pulling a lot more than that.

and lastly, my OC is 5ghz, how come when i run prime95, CPU-z and XTU only showed 4.7ghz @ 100% utilization? does it mean it only tested 4.7ghz instead of 5ghz?

If that's the case it's probably only running at 4.7. Look in your bios to see if there are any AVX offset settings... That might be the reason.

AVX workloads stress the CPU a lot more than normal, and Prime95 includes AVX workloads. You should be able to set an AVX offset in your bios so that, say, if you're running at 5 ghz when under AVX your CPU will go down to 4.8.

Hi Guys,

So it’s my first time to do overclocking and will want to get Your opinion and advice on the results I got. Please bear with me on reading this. My system as follows:

CPU: i5 8600k, OC’ed at 5ghz, 1.325v

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2 (push config, intake at front, changed fans to noctua nf-f12 ippc 3000)

MOBO: MSI Z370m gaming pro AC

PSU: Cooler Master V750 Gold Full Modular

GPU: Zotac GTX 1070 Mini

RAM: 2x8 GB DDR4 2133 (from my old system)

PC Case: Tecware nexus m

Fans: 2 aio rad fans intake (noctua), 2 exhaust at top, 1 exhaust at rear

Ambient Temp: average 25 degree Celsius

Program used for stability test: Intel XTU (im testing an intel chip, so makes sense to use an intel program?) run it for 1 and a half hour

Temp Monitoring App: HWinfo 64

Others: CPU-Z, Heaven Benchmark

So here’s are my enquiries: See attached screen shot

a)      Will I be fine at 5ghz, 1.325V? At full OCed load via intel XTU, max temp is at 74 degrees, idle at below 40 deg, Average at 65-70 deg. Voltage barely hits 1.32V, max actual TDP is 80W

b)      I have another OC profile which is just 4.5 ghz @ 1.26V, should I stick to this? I don’t do rendering nor video editing. Just some heavy Autocad and 2-3 hours gaming at night. Any significant gain from 4.5ghz to 5ghz for my usage?

c)       Before this test (on screen shot) I OC’ed my RAM from 2133mhz to 2667 mhz via the mobo feature which gives preset OC setting, and I get the blue screen of death with any speed-voltage combination. When I disable it and just returned to back 2133mhz, everything seems to be normal and smooth (so far). Can You educate me what is the reason behind this? I really want to learn new things like this. (my not in a PC/IT line of work). just a casual gamer.

d)      Any advice regarding my case-fan setup? When I run heaven benchmark, CPU usage is below 40%, temps are below 65deg, but my GPU is around 72deg max (not overclocked, fan curve are set at 100% at 60deg).

Thanks in advanced Guys, Cheers!

XTU.jpg

1.325V is a little lower than what I run my 8700K at (1.35 )is so you'll be absolutely fine. With regards to your question about 4.5GhZ I'd say you will experience an improvement at 5GhZ over 4.5 because CAD tends to rely on single core performance IIRC.

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

14 minutes ago, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

1.325V is a little lower than what I run my 8700K at (1.35 )is so you'll be absolutely fine. With regards to your question about 4.5GhZ I'd say you will experience an improvement at 5GhZ over 4.5 because CAD tends to rely on single core performance IIRC.

Hi, Thanks for the sharing Your OC result, its a relief to kbow my volatge for 5ghz is just fine. How about my temps, is it on the safe side? Also, thanks for the tip that i will benefit in 5ghz speed for CAD. 

5 minutes ago, ElderNoob said:

Hi, Thanks for the sharing Your OC result, its a relief to kbow my volatge for 5ghz is just fine. How about my temps, is it on the safe side? Also, thanks for the tip that i will benefit in 5ghz speed for CAD. 

Yeah temps are ok. IIRC XTU isn't super heavy tho, you might want to stress test with something like Asus Realbench to make sure OC is stable. I might be wrong tho

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

14 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Yeah temps are ok. IIRC XTU isn't super heavy tho, you might want to stress test with something like Asus Realbench to make sure OC is stable. I might be wrong tho

I actually have prime 95, but i red articles saying that its a ridiculously unrealistic test program. so i chose XTU, yeah not so heavy but more realistic loading? ill try out asus real bench. any advice how long should I run it to make sure everything is stable?

1 hour ago, ElderNoob said:

I actually have prime 95, but i red articles saying that its a ridiculously unrealistic test program. so i chose XTU, yeah not so heavy but more realistic loading? ill try out asus real bench. any advice how long should I run it to make sure everything is stable?

Yeah prime95 is a bit overkill IMO, but if you want utmost stability then it's the best option.

One hour would probably be good just to be safe, but if you're impatient 15 minutes might be ok

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

1 hour ago, DocSwag said:

Yeah prime95 is a bit overkill IMO, but if you want utmost stability then it's the best option.

One hour would probably be good just to be safe, but if you're impatient 15 minutes might be ok

So i just finished an hour of prime95 test just now (Blend Test), it didn't crash nor stopped, HWinfo64 never showed any kind of throttling.

However, a couple of cores showed max temp of 92 at some point, but most of the time its between 75-85 deg. Is this healthy?

Also i noticed the TDP from XTU running on the background, I saw it showed briefly some 115W TDP, i remember the TDP of i5 8600k is just 95W..is it ok? it never registered any throttling due to this though. and mostly it sits at 80W TDP..

and lastly, my OC is 5ghz, how come when i run prime95, CPU-z and XTU only showed 4.7ghz @ 100% utilization? does it mean it only tested 4.7ghz instead of 5ghz?

Edited by ElderNoob
Added an info

92 is usually a bit high, though I think that since prime95 is so unrealistically hard on your CPU that in day to day usage it should be fine.

The 95w is only at stock. When you OC it's gonna increase the TDP by a lot... I reckon the 115W also isn't 100% accurate as your CPU is probably pulling a lot more than that.

If that's the case it's probably only running at 4.7. Look in your bios to see if there are any AVX offset settings... That might be the reason.

AVX workloads stress the CPU a lot more than normal, and Prime95 includes AVX workloads. You should be able to set an AVX offset in your bios so that, say, if you're running at 5 ghz when under AVX your CPU will go down to 4.8.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler