Need some advice on building a mostly Video Edition computer

OBJECTIVE: I want to build a new computer for mostly video editing and some gaming.

• Video Editing: I want to do a 3-drive editing work flow setup, with some internal storage, local and cloud based backups.
  • Gaming: I would use the primary SSD drive for my Steam library.

I am not sure which CPU to go with:

• *NEW* Intel Core i7-8086K 
  • AMD Ryzen TR 1950X
  • Intel Core i9-7900X

The rest of the computer would be about the same:

• GTX 1080 (Transplant from old comp)
  • Samsung 850 Pro SATA 1TB - *OS & Software* (Transplant from old comp)
  • Samsung 970 Pro M.2 512GB - *Adobe Cache Disk*
  • Samsung 960 EVO M.2 1TB - *Project Disk*
  • Seagate Barracuda Pro 10TB - *Internal Project Storage*
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 2x16GB (32GB total)
  • Either a X399 or X299 MB

If I go with the i7, I could put that money to 64GB of ram instead. However, if I go with the i9, it's the lowest chip set and could always upgrade it in the future. The Ryzen is more cores now, but non-upgradable. I am kind of leaning towards the i9.

I do some gaming, mostly strategy games, so non-first-person type games.

I am not 100% sure on the NVMe SSD setup either. Do I need both Pro's or will EVO's work just aswell?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

26 minutes ago, Lymen said:

Ryzen is more cores now, but non-upgradable

threadripper is upgradable. they are keeping the TR4 plattform for future chips, like the incomming 32 core 2990x

If you're looking at doing mostly editing then the TR 1950x is by far the best CPU for the job. The I9 wins only in gaming and that's by only a few fps, not really worth it for the extra $$$. Also as far as upgrading goes, by the time these products become obsolete you'll be wanting to replace the entire system anyways.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/kCQmLJ
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/kCQmLJ/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Threadripper 1950X 3.4GHz 16-Core Processor  ($749.99 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-U14S TR4-SP3 140.2 CFM CPU Cooler  ($79.90 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: ASRock - X399 Taichi ATX TR4 Motherboard  ($323.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($309.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung - 970 Pro 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($229.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Samsung - 850 Pro Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($237.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Seagate - IronWolf 10TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($313.88 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB WINDFORCE OC 8G Video Card  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Case: Fractal Design - Meshify C Dark TG ATX Mid Tower Case  ($88.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Platinum 750W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($99.90 @ B&H) 
Total: $2434.61
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-06-28 17:25 EDT-0400

made a mockup threadripper build.

threadripper is clearly the way to go, it has an upgrade bath with TR4 like i mentioned the 32 core 2990x

edit: did a misstake, hope nobody saw that

26 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

what is your budget?

2k to 3k

24 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

threadripper is upgradable. they are keeping the TR4 plattform for future chips, like the incomming 32 core 2990x

Would the existing MBs scale? 

1 minute ago, Lymen said:

Would the existing MBs scale?

Most likely yes. The way they configure the 32 cores will work fine om excisting boards. Just remember to get a good board. The 32 core does draw quite a bit more power.

3 minutes ago, Lymen said:

2k to 3k

Build i created should be a good baseline then

23 minutes ago, Warlockben said:

If you're looking at doing mostly editing then the TR 1950x is by far the best CPU for the job. The I9 wins only in gaming and that's by only a few fps, not really worth it for the extra $$$. Also as far as upgrading goes, by the time these products become obsolete you'll be wanting to replace the entire system anyways.

That's always the case with computers xD

6 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Most likely yes. The way they configure the 32 cores will work fine om excisting boards. Just remember to get a good board. The 32 core does draw quite a bit more power.

Build i created should be a good baseline then

Thanks! I am looking it over now.

What about the NVMe drives? Do you need 970 Pro's or will the 960 EVO's work just as well?

The i7-8086K has very similar performance to the i7-8700K. The 5GHz clock is mostly hype.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Premiere-Pro-CC-2017-1-2-CPU-Performance-Core-i9-7940X-7960X-7980XE-1034/ suggests the i9-7900X would be the best choice of the three outlined in the OP.

New X299 cpu are expected in Q4. It is a myth that longer lived sockets offer anything to a current build.

Pro ssd support more write cycles and generally offer slightly better performance. Evo drives are good, just don't expect them to live as long as Pro versions, especially in commercial use.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

7 minutes ago, brob said:

The i7-8086K has very similar performance to the i7-8700K. The 5GHz clock is mostly hype.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Premiere-Pro-CC-2017-1-2-CPU-Performance-Core-i9-7940X-7960X-7980XE-1034/ suggests the i9-7900X would be the best choice of the three outlined in the OP.

New X299 cpu are expected in Q4. It is a myth that longer lived sockets offer anything to a current build.

Pro ssd support more write cycles and generally offer slightly better performance. Evo drives are good, just don't expect them to live as long as Pro versions, especially in commercial use.

Thanks for the info. Nice find with the article. I am thinking I will go with the i9 and Pro SSDs.

What about RAM, is 32GB enough or 64GB where it should be at? 

Also, what about Air CPU coolers vs AIO water ones? I think I would overclock it.

You can start with 32GB (4x8GB), there would still be room to add four more modules.

An i9-7900X is 140W TDP something like the Dark Rock Pro 4 or NH-D15 would be necessary if overclocking. Even then, some aio would offer better overclocking.

1 hour ago, Lymen said:

I think I am liking this build VideoEditing Build 06-28-18

A decent build. But I would not use 3 x 500GB M.2 NVME drives. The OP storage outline is good. If all new storage is desired, I'd suggest a 2TB SATA III or NVMe M.2 for boot and projects and an NVMe M.2 for cache.

I'd be tempted to go with a 750W psu, but nothing wrong with 850W. If the Seasonic Focus Plus Gold psu was less expensive, I would chose it instead.

2 hours ago, brob said:

You can start with 32GB (4x8GB), there would still be room to add four more modules.

An i9-7900X is 140W TDP something like the Dark Rock Pro 4 or NH-D15 would be necessary if overclocking. Even then, some aio would offer better overclocking.

A decent build. But I would not use 3 x 500GB M.2 NVME drives. The OP storage outline is good. If all new storage is desired, I'd suggest a 2TB SATA III or NVMe M.2 for boot and projects and an NVMe M.2 for cache.

I'd be tempted to go with a 750W psu, but nothing wrong with 850W. If the Seasonic Focus Plus Gold psu was less expensive, I would chose it instead.

The only reason I went with the 850w was when I used the, "How much wattage I need in my PSU for the PC build?" site, with everything I ever wanted to do with the machine and OC'ed. It said it would need 827w.

For the drives, I still may use the 850 pro for the OS & Software and just get 2x NVMe's (512 and 1TB). I only put 3, because the MB can utilize 3. :P

A 512GB and a 1TB M.2 NVMe drive makes sense if you reuse the 850 Pro. I'd leave the 3rd M.2 open for an upgrade.