Deciding on Building a server Need help!!

Go to solution Solved by NelizMastr,
6 minutes ago, TrueCanadian said:

I would like it to be able to be a NAS and make some of it and gaming server. Like where i run a dedicated server.  

See, you're not elaborating at all. You keep using the word "gaming server". What's that supposed to do? Run and play actual games? Or just the basic dedicated servers you connect to from your actual gaming PC?

I'm kinda with @whoisit1118 here. It doesn't sound like you'll actually need a full blown server for this. You're overcomplicating things in a field you're not familiar with, which isn't great.

Hey i would like help on deciding on what components i should use for a NAS/Gaming server. I was thinking on the lines of older hardware but unsure?

what would you be running on the server, how much storage would you want to be there, are there any restrictions on size or noise, do you have any components around you can reuse, what is your budget?

3 minutes ago, manikyath said:

what would you be running on the server, how much storage would you want to be there, are there any restrictions on size or noise, do you have any components around you can reuse, what is your budget?

So i think i would like around 4tb or so and my budget is around $600-800 CAD. I would like it to be somewhat small but still big enough to hold a decent amount of storage, i dont have any old parts to use so i would like to buy old parts from ebay etc. Any suggestions?

Could you clarify what you want by NAS/Gaming server? Like the one linus did in one of his videos?

Just now, whoisit1118 said:

Could you clarify what you want by NAS/Gaming server? Like the one linus did in one of his videos?

Well yes kinda, i would like it to be half a nas and half a server if that makes sense.

1 minute ago, TrueCanadian said:

Well yes kinda, i would like it to be half a nas and half a server if that makes sense.

So, are you planning to run UnRaid like Linus did in his video?

1 minute ago, whoisit1118 said:

So, are you planning to run UnRaid like Linus did in his video?

Yes  

Why UnRAID when there are free alternatives that can do more? Just run ESXi and create a bunch of VMs for what you want it to do. Heck, you can even pass through the RAID controller or HBA to a VM for the NAS duties and run your VMs on that storage. It'll gladly run from a small SSD or USB thumb drive. 

But what do you need the server part to do? A server is meant to provide services, that's why it's called a server in the first place, so which services do you want it to provide?

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

2 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

Why UnRAID when there are free alternatives that can do more? Just run ESXi and create a bunch of VMs for what you want it to do. Heck, you can even pass through the RAID controller or HBA to a VM for the NAS duties and run your VMs on that storage. It'll gladly run from a small SSD or USB thumb drive. 

But what do you need the server part to do? A server is meant to provide services, that's why it's called a server in the first place, so which services do you want it to provide?

I would like it to be able to be a NAS and make some of it and gaming server. Like where i run a dedicated server.  

Unraid isn't too bad of an option if you are a new user.

That said, I don't think that is the right solution for you. I think what you are looking for is NOT a server, but rather just a gaming PC with Network shares that you can use from different devices on your network. 

1 minute ago, whoisit1118 said:

Unraid isn't too bad of an option if you are a new user.

That said, I don't think that is the right solution for you. I think what you are looking for is NOT a server, but rather just a gaming PC with Network shares that you can use from different devices on your network. 

Ye i honestly think that would be the right choice for me,but i would like to build a nas on top of that and i would like to use some old parts to save on money especially on ddr4 side of things.

6 minutes ago, TrueCanadian said:

See, you're not elaborating at all. You keep using the word "gaming server". What's that supposed to do? Run and play actual games? Or just the basic dedicated servers you connect to from your actual gaming PC?

I'm kinda with @whoisit1118 here. It doesn't sound like you'll actually need a full blown server for this. You're overcomplicating things in a field you're not familiar with, which isn't great.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

1 minute ago, NelizMastr said:

Ok sorry for not being specific what im saying is just dedicated servers Thats all i would like.

Would like it separate from my main rig because i would like my friends to be able to play on my servers without me being actually on Sorry about all the confusion. 

1 minute ago, TrueCanadian said:

Ok sorry for not being specific what im saying is just dedicated servers Thats all i would like.

Would like it separate from my main rig because i would like my friends to be able to play on my servers without me being actually on Sorry about all the confusion. 

Game servers as in something like CS:GO servers or something that your friends can stream games off of?