Smart TV casting on a LAN

Hey 

Hoping for some help on this. I am trying to set up a LAN at my house so that I can cast my phone onto my smart TV.

My rationale behind this is I have no internet connection at my house. the only ISP that I am able to get is Hughes-net satellite internet, I had it at my previous house and do not want to do that again. I am wanting to say download shows on my phone in Netflix and then be able to cast that onto the TV. 

I had a old WI-FI router laying around that I factory reset and connected both my phone and TV to. I was not able to get it to work with that. The Netflix app on the TV itself would not open. 

I am thinking that the TV has to have an internet connection for the Apps to even open up to allow my phone to cast to it. 

My TV is a VIZIO ( I am not sure what the model is if someone needs it I can add it in.) and my phone is a Pixel 2 XL. 

Any ideas would be appreciated. 

3 hours ago, jmoles said:

Hey 

Hoping for some help on this. I am trying to set up a LAN at my house so that I can cast my phone onto my smart TV.

My rationale behind this is I have no internet connection at my house. the only ISP that I am able to get is Hughes-net satellite internet, I had it at my previous house and do not want to do that again. I am wanting to say download shows on my phone in Netflix and then be able to cast that onto the TV. 

I had a old WI-FI router laying around that I factory reset and connected both my phone and TV to. I was not able to get it to work with that. The Netflix app on the TV itself would not open. 

I am thinking that the TV has to have an internet connection for the Apps to even open up to allow my phone to cast to it. 

My TV is a VIZIO ( I am not sure what the model is if someone needs it I can add it in.) and my phone is a Pixel 2 XL. 

Any ideas would be appreciated. 

Yeah, the Netflix app on the TV does need internet. You would need something like a Chrome cast. But even then im not sure if it will work. For one the App on the phone needs to have Chrome cast support in order to cast, and the TV either needs built in casting or some streaming stick that has the capability. Some phones you can get a special cable and plug it in via HDMI, so thats another option. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Hey Donut417 thanks for the response. I had thought that I could possibly use a chrome-cast. but again I don't really want to drop the money on one if it isn't going to work.. I did try some more trouble shooting last night. My wife also has a Pixel 2 XL. I used it as a hot spot and connected both the TV and my Pixel to it I was not able to get the Netflix app to even open on the TV. Not sure if it was just trying to update as it had never been connected to the internet or if it was just being stupid.

The TV was supposed to have a Chrome-cast built in but i think  that they re-branded it as smart-cast and changed some stuff around.