1080ti blower without case fans?

Gdourado

Hello, how are you?

I got a 1080ti with a blower cooler.
I got the blower because the card went onto a Silverstone ml08 case. 
The case has no case fans, but the gpu is on a separate compartment. 
After creating a custom fan profile, the card stays at around 80 to 82 degrees and the clock is stable at around 1850 give it take.
That is with stock power limit and no overclock. 

I am happy with the performance given the constraints of the case and cooler solution. 

But I am worried about the temperature. 
The gpu core like I said stays at around 80 to 82 degrees while gaming.
But the card itself gets hot.
So hot that the backplate and shroud can almost burn my hand to the touch. 

I am guessing that this is because there are no case fans blowing air over the card itself and no exhaust fans on the case. 

Is this a problem?
Can it affect the reliability of the card?
I really like the ml08 formfactor and the cpu temps are pretty good. 
But should I just get a case with active air intake and exhaust?

Or is this just fine despite all the heat being produced?

Thanks
Cheers 

These are typical temps for a founders card. My RX480 used to run at 90C at stock no OC. After I replaced the thermal pasted to thermal grizzly kryonaut it dropped to 77 max. These temps are probably fine, but if you want to drop the temps just replace the thermal paste- it usually helps quite a bit.

The GPU and CPU seem to be fine, but if there are no casefans at all I think the other components in the PC like the motherboard, storage and such devices may also become too hot. That could shorten the lifespan of the components, but I can't tell if this will be significant. 

If you want to reduce the temps and the noise you can reapply paste and thermal pads with better than stock stuff.  It will either lower the temps if you keep the fans cranked or lower the noise if you let the card manage the fans.

19 minutes ago, stefanDB said:

The GPU and CPU seem to be fine, but if there are no casefans at all I think the other components in the PC like the motherboard, storage and such devices may also become too hot. That could shorten the lifespan of the components, but I can't tell if this will be significant. 

Hello, 

I am not too worried about the other Temps. 

I have a scythe big Shuriken 2 with a thermalright slim 140mm fan on it. 

It is a top down cooler, and with the thermalright fan it sits next to the case grill, so it is pushing air from outside the case over the motherboard, ram and vrm. 

It is the gpu I worry because it really gets hot, and with the case closed, it also heats the case panel a lot. 

I might try to replace the tim. 

I have a new tube of noctua Tim I got because the Tim that comes stock with the big Shuriken to apply is trash. 

I just have to figure out how to take apart my 1080ti.

It is a gainward version. 

Here are a couple of pictures. 

Do I take out all the screws? Then the backplate, then the cooler? 

Cheers. 

IMG_20180622_155042.jpg

IMG_20180622_155020.jpg

IMG_20180622_155011.jpg

56 minutes ago, Konrad Kwasniewski said:

These are typical temps for a founders card. My RX480 used to run at 90C at stock no OC. After I replaced the thermal pasted to thermal grizzly kryonaut it dropped to 77 max. These temps are probably fine, but if you want to drop the temps just replace the thermal paste- it usually helps quite a bit.

Did you use the liquid metal version? Been considering lm on my rx cuz it runs hot but not 90.... You were close to shut down at 94 lol 

Firestrike 
i7-8700k @5.0GHz w/ 1.30v, Corsair h100iv2, Gigabye Aorus gaming 7, 16GB(8x2) 2666MHz ddr4, Dual RX470's OC'd to 1390mhz(atm) in corssfire - liguid cooled with corsair h60's, 3.25 TB in Samsung SSD's, anidees white crystal cube case 

Retired:
i5-4440k @3.2GHz, gigabyte ga-z87x-ud5h z87, 24GB DDR3, 3x1TB Seagate Baracuda HDD.

Op if it's worry some to you and your considering getting a new case just do it better safe then sorry you know? 

Firestrike 
i7-8700k @5.0GHz w/ 1.30v, Corsair h100iv2, Gigabye Aorus gaming 7, 16GB(8x2) 2666MHz ddr4, Dual RX470's OC'd to 1390mhz(atm) in corssfire - liguid cooled with corsair h60's, 3.25 TB in Samsung SSD's, anidees white crystal cube case 

Retired:
i5-4440k @3.2GHz, gigabyte ga-z87x-ud5h z87, 24GB DDR3, 3x1TB Seagate Baracuda HDD.

4 minutes ago, O9B0666 said:

Did you use the liquid metal version? Been considering lm on my rx cuz it runs hot but not 90.... You were close to shut down at 94 lol 

Conductonaut = Liquid Metal

Kryonaut = Top tier non-conductive

1 hour ago, O9B0666 said:

No, I used the thermal grizzly kryonaut. It's the standard thermal paste. When I took the cooler off the old paste was spilled all over the chip and made little contact with the actual die. It's really worth repasting because temperature differences can be quite  substantial.

1 hour ago, Gdourado said:

Hello, 

I am not too worried about the other Temps. 

I have a scythe big Shuriken 2 with a thermalright slim 140mm fan on it. 

It is a top down cooler, and with the thermalright fan it sits next to the case grill, so it is pushing air from outside the case over the motherboard, ram and vrm. 

It is the gpu I worry because it really gets hot, and with the case closed, it also heats the case panel a lot. 

I might try to replace the tim. 

I have a new tube of noctua Tim I got because the Tim that comes stock with the big Shuriken to apply is trash. 

I just have to figure out how to take apart my 1080ti.

It is a gainward version. 

Here are a couple of pictures. 

Do I take out all the screws? Then the backplate, then the cooler? 

Cheers. 

IMG_20180622_155042.jpg

IMG_20180622_155020.jpg

IMG_20180622_155011.jpg

I am not sure but I think that you can remove the cooler by removing the screws around the bracket. It possible that you don't need to remove the entire backplate and all the screws.

A backplate can still feel like it’s gonna burn you on a water cooled card. 

I wouldnt worry about it much. Unless you wonna spend some money. 

Case fans, aftermarket or stock open air cooler, or hybrid cooler. All will make some difference. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

I am quite happy with the performance and the case for the formfactor and the way it looks on the living room. 

If the temperature aren't an issue and I can game for long periods with the card at 80 degrees, then I am good with that. 

That’s what it was designed to do. Don’t see why it would cause an issue. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

It's normal for blower style cards to have higher temperatures. However, you really should consider getting at least one intake and one outtake fan for your case. That will help not just your GPU, but your CPU as well.

1) Gaming Rig: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/TZskD2

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K @ 4.2GHz OC | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97N-WiFi ITX | RAM: 2x8GB DDR3-1600MHz G.Skill Ripjaws X-series | GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 Ti SC @ 1817MHz OC

PSU: EVGA 650W G2 80+ Gold | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX | Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo w/ Noctua NF-F12 Fan | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | HDD: WD Blue 2TB

Monitor: Dell S2417DG 1440p @ 144Hz w/ G-Sync | Speakers: M-Audio Studiophile AV40 | Keyboard: Corsair K65 Compact Cherry MX Red | Mouse: Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury

2) Digital Forensics Rig: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/sWV7w6

CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2650 v3 @ 2.3GHzMotherboard: ASRock EP2C612D16-4L RAM: 8x16GB DDR4-2133MHz Samsung ECC Server Memory

PSU: EVGA 1200W P2 80+ Platnium | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Primo | Cooler: 2x Noctua NH-U9DX i4 | SSD: Samsung 960 PRO 1TB | HDD: 4x WD Red 4TB

Monitor: 2x LG25UM56-P 2560x1080p @ 60Hz

3 hours ago, willing said:

It's normal for blower style cards to have higher temperatures. However, you really should consider getting at least one intake and one outtake fan for your case. That will help not just your GPU, but your CPU as well.

Hello, 

The case I am using, the Silverstone ml08 is a passive case and has no place for case fans. 

But I seem to have tamed the card. 

I tuned it and now it runs at 1860mhz with 0.9v and Temps stay below 80 with fan below 70%.

I am happier after this tune up. 

But the case and card still get very warm to the touch.