Wait for hdmi 2.1 or get 144hz monitor for gaming?

Hi All,

Hope you all well. :)

I am quite new to the monitor world in term of display port , Hdmi , G sync and frame rates.

Currently I am looking for a 144hz gaming monitor using display port

or

Should i wait for monitor to integrate Hdmi 2.1 for future proof ?

My build below

Below is my build

CPU: i78700k
Cooler: NH-D15
Memory Vengance Lpx 3000
Motherboard : Asus Strix Z370 H
Graphic card : Asus strix GTX 1080 8gb
Case: Fractal Design Define R6
Storage : 500GB Samsung 970 M.2 NVME
2TB Segate Firecuda 3.5 7200rpm
860 evo 500GB
Power supply: SSR 650 TR ( i am going to overclock the system)

Monitor: not sure which brand is great ( don't wanna over spend if my output does not support) . Also not sure what version of display pot should i use to optimist the system or should i just use HDMI ?

Games I will be playing:

Rise of the tomb raider, PUBG , Skyrim, middle earth shadow of war, battlefield 1, grand theft auto V , fallout 4 , assassin creed origins, Far cry 5, state of decay 2, the forest , Fortnite (battle Royale), Kingdom come :D eliverance , Wolfenstein 2 the new colossus, Divinity: orginal sin 2, superhot ,outlast 2, dark souls 3 , mass effect andromeda and final fantasy XV.

Many thanks.
Koolrabbit

Just get the 144hz monitor you want and it should come with the proper display port or HDMI cord needed to run at 144hz. 

No use in waiting for the HDMI upgrade. Display Port will support 144hz at 1440p.
Unless you want to do 4K at higher than 60Hz, then you'll have to wait for a new standard.

BenQ, ASUS, and Acer seem to make the best Gaming monitors. Pick one that suites your needs. I recommend an IPS panel (not TN), and since you have a GTX 1080, go ahead and grab yourself a 1440p display at whatever refresh rate you want.

Side note: DisplayPort does just as well as HDMI, HDMI technically can do more, but a monitor won't be taking advantage of that.

3 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Just get the 144hz monitor you want and it should come with the proper display port or HDMI cord needed to run at 144hz. 

thanks Brooksie359 :) Does brands and length affect the performance ?

2 minutes ago, koolrabbit said:

thanks Brooksie359 :) Does brands and length affect the performance ?

Brand: no, maybe just picture quality ( But this is mostly affected by the TYPE of display, hence why I recommended an IPS panel, not the brand)
Length: Not at all, unless you're plugging in a bunch of extenders or going more than 25ft maybe

3 minutes ago, DrJones said:

No use in waiting for the HDMI upgrade. Display Port will support 144hz at 1440p.
Unless you want to do 4K at higher than 60Hz, then you'll have to wait for a new standard.

BenQ, ASUS, and Acer seem to make the best Gaming monitors. Pick one that suites your needs. I recommend an IPS panel (not TN), and since you have a GTX 1080, go ahead and grab yourself a 1440p display at whatever refresh rate you want.

Side note: DisplayPort does just as well as HDMI, HDMI technically can do more, but a monitor won't be taking advantage of that.

Thank you for the information DrJones :) 

Yea i was looking at gaming at 4K or higher than 60hz in the future , but i am not sure how long is this wait going to be :(. Also even if a new standard arrives i might need to upgrade my graphic card.

yea looking at Asus and Acer not sure should i wait for ASUS PG27UQ and Acer x27 to come out 1st. Is TN still better response time than IPS or had it improve  ?

So display port is best of gaming ? My understanding was hdmi just have a return Audio Return Channel nothing too speical right?

Just now, koolrabbit said:

Thank you for the information DrJones :) 

Yea i was looking at gaming at 4K or higher than 60hz in the future , but i am not sure how long is this wait going to be :(. Also even if a new standard arrives i might need to upgrade my graphic card.

yea looking at Asus and Acer not sure should i wait for ASUS PG27UQ and Acer x27 to come out 1st. Is TN still better response time than IPS or had it improve  ?

So display port is best of gaming ? My understanding was hdmi just have a return Audio Return Channel nothing too speical right?

Nobody really knows when the next standard is coming out :/ However, I currently use 1440p at 144hz and love it.
To me it goes as follows:
1080p = excellent performance, low quality
1440p = great balance of both performance and quality
4K = bad performance, excellent quality

I haven't looked at the newest models of monitors yet, I use an ASUS PG279Q if I remember right.

TN is still technically better response time, but it's negligible, you're not going to tell. We're talking a couple Milliseconds here. Plus IPS response times have improved.

DisplayPort and HDMI are both great for gaming, in fact I prefer DisplayPort for my monitor. HDMI allows for extra communications channels and such, which monitors don't even use anyways. Those features are mostly for unifying a large Home theater setup, or something where devices need to communicate data to one another.
A monitor is just relaying Video and Audio. 

16 minutes ago, DrJones said:

Brand: no, maybe just picture quality ( But this is mostly affected by the TYPE of display, hence why I recommended an IPS panel, not the brand)
Length: Not at all, unless you're plugging in a bunch of extenders or going more than 25ft maybe

Many thanks DrJones :) 

26 minutes ago, DrJones said:

Nobody really knows when the next standard is coming out :/ However, I currently use 1440p at 144hz and love it.

I haven't looked at the newest models of monitors yet, I use an ASUS PG279Q if I remember right.

TN is still technically better response time, but it's negligible, you're not going to tell. We're talking a couple Milliseconds here. Plus IPS response times have improved.

DisplayPort and HDMI are both great for gaming, in fact I prefer DisplayPort for my monitor. HDMI allows for extra communications channels and such, which monitors don't even use anyways. Those features are mostly for unifying a large Home theater setup, or something where devices need to communicate data to one another.

Thanks again DrJones :) 

Is your ASUS PG279Q native at 144hz or it's already overclock?  I heard you can reach to 165hz. I guess this is a nice choice if i can give up 4k gaming for now. How bad is the 4K frame rate ?

Also is the g sync working at it max ?

I see alot of bad reviews on the RMA process for this model due to dead pixel. Is the warranty 3 years ?

I guess displayport will improve the bottleneck of frame rates comparing to hdmi for now ( before 2.1 arrives) ? So hdmi will be more benefit if Dolby vision  etc,,

4 minutes ago, koolrabbit said:

Thanks again DrJones :) 

Is your ASUS PG279Q native at 144hz or it's already overclock?  I heard you can reach to 165hz. I guess this is a nice choice if i can give up 4k gaming for now. How bad is the 4K frame rate ?

Also is the g sync working at it max ?

I see alot of bad reviews on the RMA process for this model due to dead pixel. Is the warranty 3 years ?

I guess displayport will improve the bottleneck of frame rates comparing to hdmi for now ( before 2.1 arrives) ? So hdmi will be more benefit if Dolby vision  etc,,

No problem!
I guess you could say it's overclocked, but it comes like that stock. It has settings for 60, 120, 144, and 165hz. Just a simple menu button changes the refresh rate. I use 120hz mostly, and 144hz sometimes. I rarely use 165 because i can't tell the difference between 144 and 165 as much as 120 and 144.

4K monitors are currently limited to 60Hz because that's all the current cables can handle.

G sync works perfect for me, just enable it in the Nvidia Control panel.
I buy my Monitors in the store (Best Buy, Fry's, Micro Center, etc.) so that in case there is a problem, I can simply return it. Most monitor problems are caused by poor handling during shipping.

I can't remember what the warranty was.
And yeah DisplayPort works fine for me. By the way! I had a problem with the one that came with my monitor, dead cable. So just keep in mind, you may wanna buy your own cable off Amazon or something. 

44 minutes ago, DrJones said:

Tn vs ips is noticible when playing certain games but only matters when you are playing competitive. It is that super small split second moments when it seems like you should have fraged someone but don't because it was a couple milliseconds too late. 

5 minutes ago, DrJones said:

No problem!
I guess you could say it's overclocked, but it comes like that stock. It has settings for 60, 120, 144, and 165hz. Just a simple menu button changes the refresh rate. I use 120hz mostly, and 144hz sometimes. I rarely use 165 because i can't tell the difference between 144 and 165 as much as 120 and 144.

4K monitors are currently limited to 60Hz because that's all the current cables can handle.

G sync works perfect for me, just enable it in the Nvidia Control panel.
I buy my Monitors in the store (Best Buy, Fry's, Micro Center, etc.) so that in case there is a problem, I can simply return it. Most monitor problems are caused by poor handling during shipping.

I can't remember what the warranty was.
And yeah DisplayPort works fine for me. By the way! I had a problem with the one that came with my monitor, dead cable. So just keep in mind, you may wanna buy your own cable off Amazon or something. 

What are you talking about? Current display port cables can handle 4k 120hz. 

2 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

What are you talking about? Current display port cables can handle 4k 120hz. 

Ah yes DisplayPort 1.3+ can do that, but DisplayPort 1.2 can only go to 60hz.

What I meant was, that for some reason, they're taking a long time to implement 1.3+ in the monitors.

Just now, DrJones said:

Ah yes DisplayPort 1.3+ can do that, but DisplayPort 1.2 can only go to 60hz.

What I meant was, that for some reason, they're taking a long time to implement 1.3+ in the monitors.

Don't need to implement it for monitors that don't need the bandwidth. Once you have a monitor that needs it they will implement it. The whole idea of even caring about what cord is future proof is just dumb. You get a monitor you want and it comes with the cord needed to use it and if you need a longer one you buy the required kind. It's very simple and you don't need to over think it. The 4k "144hz" monitor coming out soon will use a cord capable of running a 4k 120hz monitor. They use compression to get it to run at 144hz for some odd reason. 

On 27/06/2018 at 2:32 AM, Brooksie359 said:

Don't need to implement it for monitors that don't need the bandwidth. Once you have a monitor that needs it they will implement it. The whole idea of even caring about what cord is future proof is just dumb. You get a monitor you want and it comes with the cord needed to use it and if you need a longer one you buy the required kind. It's very simple and you don't need to over think it. The 4k "144hz" monitor coming out soon will use a cord capable of running a 4k 120hz monitor. They use compression to get it to run at 144hz for some odd reason. 

Thanks Brooksie359 What monitor are you currently using ?

4 minutes ago, koolrabbit said:

Thanks Brooksie359 What monitor are you currently using ?

I am super into competitive overwatch so I have this monitor XB252Q. I play at a pretty high level so it really helps but 240 hz is excessive if you aren't playing super competitive games. 

13 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

I am super into competitive overwatch so I have this monitor XB252Q. I play at a pretty high level so it really helps but 240 hz is excessive if you aren't playing super competitive games. 

I'm currently playing fortnite and XB252Q is good hd 240hz montior. price is pretty decent.

2 minutes ago, koolrabbit said:

I'm currently playing fortnite and XB252Q is good hd 240hz montior. price is pretty decent.

Was going to get a 144hz monitor then I saw the 240jz was only 400 at microcenter so I had to get it 

haha yea i saw the 400 nit lolz dat relate to HDR right ? so there is no TN 144hz with 400 nit ?

5 hours ago, koolrabbit said:

haha yea i saw the 400 nit lolz dat relate to HDR right ? so there is no TN 144hz with 400 nit ?

It was 400 dollars. I don't even look at nit tbh.