I.T Certificates

Go to solution Solved by OCD-FREAK,
1 minute ago, Skankhunt420 said:

Hope this helps you out, you'll need to pay for your exam but cheap books/videos

are always nice!

Comptia Groupon Code: £30

https://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/it-careers-online-63

Includes:

CompTIA A+ 220-901 course modules include:

• Introduction to personal computers and it certification
  • Internal hardware components
  • Storage fundamentals
  • Expanding hardware capabilities
  • Working with peripheral devices
  • Mobiles devices
  • Computer networking
  • Hardware and network troubleshooting

CompTIA A+ 220-902 course modules include:

• Introduction to operating systems
  • Installing windows operating systems
  • Configuration and management in windows
  • Utilizing alternative operating systems
  • Virtualisation and cloud computing
  • Managing mobile devices
  • Understanding system security
  • Troubleshooting and operational procedures

Full course details can be found here

CompTIA Security+ SY0-501 course modules include:

• Threats, attacks, and vulnerabilities
  • Technologies and tools
  • Architecture and design
  • Identity and access management
  • Risk management
  • Cryptography and PKI

CompTIA N10-006 course modules inlcude:

• Introduction to networking
  • Networking standards
  • Network cabling and transmission
  • Understanding TCP/IP
  • Network devices
  • Wireless network
  • Wide area network
  • Remote access
  • Network security
  • Building scalable high performance networks
  • Monitoring and troubleshooting networks

WOW thank you so much for the help i really appreciate :)

hello everyone,

i would like some suggestions from all of you about all Technical/ I.T certifications you know about ranging from i.T Security to any engineering/technical Certificates preferably that can be obtained by self study and from pearson vue and that hold good value.

any and all opinions are more than appreciated.

Thank you all :) 

thanks alot ! anything more ? i see that you are into hacking, what might you suggest ? besides CEH, something of a real value 

CompTIA A+ is a good all-round cert that can get you quite a few jobs in IT.

For networking, Cisco CCNA or CompTIA Network+ would be good.

For security, probably CompTIA Security+.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

CompTIA A+ is a good all-round cert that can get you quite a few jobs in IT.

For networking, Cisco CCNA or CompTIA Network+ would be good.

For security, probably CompTIA Security+.

thanks alot, really appreciated. would you squeeze all you know regarding certificates ? like what more certificates you know ?

1 minute ago, OCD-FREAK said:

thanks alot ! anything more ? i see that you are into hacking, what might you suggest ? besides CEH, something of a real value 

Vulnerability Analysis is 40% skill, 60% luck and 600% time consuming, it's not all it is glorified in the media, and in most environments you are bound spend hours on something then hit a wall and quit, if you are still into it learn as much as you can first, as mentioned above CompTIA Security+ :)

thanks alot, really appreciated. would you squeeze all you know regarding certificates ? like what more certificates you know ?

There are a bunch more from both Cisco and CompTIA, I can't think of any off the top of my head.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

18 hours ago, D3addr0p said:

Vulnerability Analysis is 40% skill, 60% luck and 600% time consuming, it's not all it is glorified in the media, and in most environments you are bound spend hours on something then hit a wall and quit, if you are still into it learn as much as you can first, as mentioned above CompTIA Security+ :)

how do you compare COMPUTIA A+ to CISCO IT ESSENTIALS ? i mean does COMPUTIA certifications hold good value or CISCO is more valuable ? 

As other people have pointed out, COMPTIA A+ (and further extensions) are a very good grounding for getting your foot in the door with a company, and from there a business is more than likely to encourage you to get your more complex and bespoke certs such as Cisco for networking and MS certs.

Getting your basic knowledge in the COMPTIA certs is definitely a good start and a good way to test the waters. I found the materials all for super cheap on a Groupon code for every COMPTIA cert currently in circulation, if you're interested I could try to find it for you later on, let me know!

Current Rig:

CPU - Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz Quad-Core

Heatsink - Corsair H110iGT 280mm AIO

Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SOC Force ATX LGA1150

RAM - G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600

SSD - Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" SSD

HDD - Western Digital Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM

HDD - Western Digital Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400 RPM 

GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB

GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Gold Edition

Case - Be Quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 (Orange) Full Tower

PSU - Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 1200W Platinum

Networking - TP-Link Archer T9E PCI-Express

Fans - Be Quiet! SilentWings 2 60.4 CFM 140mm

Cabling - CableMod Black/Orange

OS - Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit

Outdated Build: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/RCjcCJ

3 minutes ago, Skankhunt420 said:

As other people have pointed out, COMPTIA A+ (and further extensions) are a very good grounding for getting your foot in the door with a company, and from there a business is more than likely to encourage you to get your more complex and bespoke certs such as Cisco for networking and MS certs.

Getting your basic knowledge in the COMPTIA certs is definitely a good start and a good way to test the waters. I found the materials all for super cheap on a Groupon code for every COMPTIA cert currently in circulation, if you're interested I could try to find it for you later on, let me know!

with all my pleasure of course! if you can help me get discount on COMPUTIA A+ , (security +) ,(mobility +) and (server +) i will appreciate so much :) 

thank you 

What exactly are you aiming for? I can list maybe 100 certs but without knowing what your goal is I can't be sure they are relevant.

Since you mentioned Cisco I guess you are interested or at the very least looking into networking?

Here are Cisco's certificate tracks:

image.png.da7af8c4d0841d6b56736cc33176bab4.png

If you want more info about the certificates you can look at Global Knowledge's website (which is where I got the image from).

They are a Cisco learning partner which holds Cisco courses (costs a lot of money), but their website has a bunch of super useful information. Just click on any cert and it will tell you what topics are included, the cert number (good for finding the course literature), what is required to recertificate, and so on.

Edit:

It is also worth mentioning that certificates usually expire. Now, even an expired cert can have some value on a CV, but if your goal is to use it to get a job, don't get one too soon (so that it expires before you start applying for jobs).

1 minute ago, LAwLz said:

What exactly are you aiming for? I can list maybe 100 certs but without knowing what your goal is I can't be sure they are relevant.

Since you mentioned Cisco I guess you are interested or at the very least looking into networking?

Here are Cisco's certificate tracks:

image.png.da7af8c4d0841d6b56736cc33176bab4.png

If you want more info about the certificates you can look at Global Knowledge's website (which is where I got the image from).

They are a Cisco learning partner which holds Cisco courses (costs a lot of money), but their website has a bunch of super useful information. Just click on any cert and it will tell you what topics are included, the cert number (good for finding the course literature), what is required to recertificate, and so on.

i want to collect as many certificates as i can through out my life even though iam focusing on general Computer certificates.

Any and all certificates that you might know that has to do with technology/engineering iam interested !

so please if you can kindly let me know at your own convenience :) 

16 minutes ago, OCD-FREAK said:

i want to collect as many certificates as i can through out my life even though iam focusing on general Computer certificates.

For CompTIA note the certificates expire after a time. I can't remember exactly, I think it is something like 3 years. This is not something you pass and have for life. They do have a system where if you pass a higher cert, doing that will also refresh your lower certs. Otherwise, you end up having to repeat the cert every so many years if you want it to be active.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 minute ago, porina said:

For CompTIA note the certificates expire after a time. I can't remember exactly, I think it is something like 3 years. This is not something you pass and have for life. They do have a system where if you pass a higher cert, doing that will also refresh your lower certs. Otherwise, you end up having to repeat the cert every so many years if you want it to be active.

how come? i just searched about COMPTIA  A+ and i found out that it's a life time certificate , or maybe the website is wrong from where i read it?

5 minutes ago, OCD-FREAK said:

Any and all certificates that you might know that has to do with technology/engineering iam interested !

so please if you can kindly let me know at your own convenience :) 

Well, like I added in my edit, certs usually expire. What that means is that you can't really have however many you want because you'll end up constantly studying for your recertifications. On top of that, the higher tiers of certificates are extremely difficult and require years of experience. For example CCIE certificates are very rare. People with years upon years of experience might have one, or in some cases two CCIE certs, but that's all they can manage. Even the low- and medium tier certificates can be very challenging for people who do not constantly work and have a good understanding of the subjects.

It is entirely possible to get a bunch of low and entry tier certificates if that's what you want, but having 10 easy and possibly irrelevant certificates won't be as impressive as having one really challenging one on the subject at hand (like at a work interview).

And before someone brings up the quad-CCIE people, please bear in mind they usually work with the certification process somehow, like being a teacher where they can study on work hours and still get paid.

By the way, getting certified costs money, even if you do the studying yourself.

I believe the CCNA tests costs around 300 dollars per attempt. That is to say, you pay them 300 dollars just to take the test. If you fail you need to pay them another 300 dollars for a new try.

Don't overwork yourself with certifications that may not be necessary. Start with the basics with as a CompTIA and then you'll naturally find a specific field of IT that you're interested in, then you can find certifications relevant for that field. For example, I'm a SysAdmin and there's little reason for me to do a SQL related course as it just doesn't fall in my scope of work.

Stop and think a second, something is more than nothing.

3 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Well, like I added in my edit, certs usually expire. What that means is that you can't really have however many you want because you'll end up constantly studying for your recertifications. On top of that, the higher tiers of certificates are extremely difficult and require years of experience. For example CCIE certificates are very rare. People with years upon years of experience might have one, or in some cases two CCIE certs, but that's all they can manage. Even the low- and medium tier certificates can be very challenging for people who do not constantly work and have a good understanding of the subjects.

It is entirely possible to get a bunch of low and entry tier certificates if that's what you want, but having 10 easy and possibly irrelevant certificates won't be as impressive as having one really challenging one on the subject at hand (like at a work interview).

And before someone brings up the quad-CCIE people, please bear in mind they usually work with the certification process somehow, like being a teacher where they can study on work hours and still get paid.

By the way, getting certified costs money, even if you do the studying yourself.

I believe the CCNA tests costs around 300 dollars per attempt. That is to say, you pay them 300 dollars just to take the test. If you fail you need to pay them another 300 dollars for a new try.

ok, so in this case, would you be kind and let me know with all  the lifetime certificates you know of ? thanks and appreciated 

2 minutes ago, OCD-FREAK said:

ok, so in this case, would you be kind and let me know with all  the lifetime certificates you know of ? thanks and appreciated 

I don't know of any myself, but technology is constantly changing, so there probably aren't many.

Stop and think a second, something is more than nothing.

1 minute ago, chiller15 said:

Don't overwork yourself with certifications that may not be necessary. Start with the basics with as a CompTIA and then you'll naturally find a specific field of IT that you're interested in, then you can find certifications relevant for that field. For example, I'm a SysAdmin and there's little reason for me to do a SQL related course as it just doesn't fall in my scope of work.

ok, so in my case i want to be a computer engineer and also a professional pen tester as i always was interested in hacking and malware (but in a good ethical way ;P) . what certificates you suggest ? iam currently studying for CCNA , MCSA and LPIC, and i want to get the expertise in ethical hacking too. so what do you think ? 

1 hour ago, Skankhunt420 said:

I'd be very interested in this too please.

DAEDALUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 - 1600 @ 3.7Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo Black Edition // Motherboard: Asus RoG Strix B350-F Gaming // Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 6GB GDDR5 // Memory: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair LPX Vengeance 3000Mhz // Storage: WD Green - 250GB M.2 SATA SSD (Boot Drive and Programs), SanDisk Ultra II 120GB (GTA V), WD Elements 1TB External Drive (Steam Library) // Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W // Case: BeQuiet Silentbase 600 with SilentWings Mk.2 Internal Fans // Peripherals: VicTop Mechanical Gaming Keyboard & VicTsing 7200 DPI Wired Gaming Mouse

PROMETHEUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.2Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master 212 EVO // Motherboard: Foxconn 2ABF // Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450 (For Diagnostic Testing Only) // Memory: 2 x 4GB DDR3 Mushkin Memory // Storage: 10TB of Various Storage Drives // Power Supply: Corsair 600W // Case: Bitfenix Nova Midi Tower - Black

SpeedTest Results - Having Trouble Finding a Decent PSU? - Check the PSU Tier List!

39 minutes ago, OCD-FREAK said:

how come? i just searched about COMPTIA  A+ and i found out that it's a life time certificate , or maybe the website is wrong from where i read it?

It's a lifetime cert which gives you a solid grounding in case you need to hop jobs ina  few years and previous certs are now expired. It's also just like a electrician getting through their RAGS, just shows that you have basic competency for the umbrella of IT and can understand technical concepts. Companies like to build employees up the way they want them to work, this basically shows them that you're ready for it! :)

Current Rig:

42 minutes ago, OCD-FREAK said:

I didn't do A+. Work paid for me to do N+ which I passed, and the training place said if I do a higher one before it expires, it will refresh the N+ too.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

13 minutes ago, Ezzy-525 said:

I'd be very interested in this too please.

48 minutes ago, OCD-FREAK said:

Hope this helps you out, you'll need to pay for your exam but cheap books/videos are always nice!

Includes:

• Storage fundamentals
  • Mobiles devices
  • Computer networking

• Technologies and tools
  • Risk management
  • Cryptography and PKI

• Networking standards
  • Understanding TCP/IP
  • Network devices
  • Wireless network
  • Wide area network
  • Remote access
  • Network security

Edited by Skankhunt420
My formatting sucks! Ugh.

Current Rig:

1 minute ago, Skankhunt420 said:

Hope this helps you out, you'll need to pay for your exam but cheap books/videos

are always nice!

Includes:

• Storage fundamentals
  • Mobiles devices
  • Computer networking

• Technologies and tools
  • Risk management
  • Cryptography and PKI

• Networking standards
  • Understanding TCP/IP
  • Network devices
  • Wireless network
  • Wide area network
  • Remote access
  • Network security

I have spent enough time lurking, about time I helped out at least a little! :) 

Current Rig:

Does anyone know if these certificates are only common in the US or in Europe too? I just started computer science in Europe :)