Server picky with ram

I'm a bit of a nooby with servers and i'm having a ram issue with a dual cpu server of mine. I'm current running a mix of ram (non-ecc and ecc) which has been working so far. (2 sticks of 4gb and 2 of 2gb which i've found from spare boxes) across two cpu's (I'll post the full specs at the bottom). It's very picky, and only works in certain ram slots/configuration and have got it so it finds them all and posts.

I bought some more ram to replace the 2x 2gb sticks. - the Hynix HMT151R7BFR4C-H9 4gb x 2. but replacing the 2gb sticks of non-ecc results in the server beeping and not posting - sometimes getting through but the slots show up as disabled. However putting the two sticks in by themselves results in a post, so the ram isn't faulty.

Would it be an idea to buy another 2 sticks of the Hynix HMT151R7BFR4C-H9 to have 4 sticks of the same ram?

Specs:

Motherboard: S5500BC (https://ark.intel.com/products/36601/Intel-Server-Board-S5500BC)

CPU 2x : Intel Xeon E5620 2.40GHz 12M LGA1366 CPU Processor SLBV4

RAM: 2x 9965525-033.A00LF (4gb each)

2x KHX1600C9D3/2GX (2gb each)

newly bought ram: 2x Hynix HMT151R7BFR4C-H9

i7 4790k (Hyper 212 Evo); GA-Z87X-UD3H; 16gb G Skill PC3-19200 DDR3 @ 2400MHz; GeForce GTX 1080 ; Corsair CX600M 600W PSU; Samsung 860 EVO 500GB &  3TB HDD; Windows 10 64bit.

Buying identical memory is one of the reasons it's a good idea. It avoids issues like this. What you listed is server memory and if works by itself them it shouldn't have any trouble working in tangent with an identical pair.

One of the reasons mixing RAM can have complications is when the different sticks are trying to work with one another be it dual-channel, triple-channel, or quad-channel. Also server boards particularly of the older variety are often more picky about the RAM you use.

1 hour ago, Windows7ge said:

Buying identical memory is one of the reasons it's a good idea. It avoids issues like this. What you listed is server memory and if works by itself them it shouldn't have any trouble working in tangent with an identical pair.

One of the reasons mixing RAM can have complications is when the different sticks are trying to work with one another be it dual-channel, triple-channel, or quad-channel. Also server boards particularly of the older variety are often more picky about the RAM you use.

Thought so, thanks. Ordered and I'll give it a go.

i7 4790k (Hyper 212 Evo); GA-Z87X-UD3H; 16gb G Skill PC3-19200 DDR3 @ 2400MHz; GeForce GTX 1080 ; Corsair CX600M 600W PSU; Samsung 860 EVO 500GB &  3TB HDD; Windows 10 64bit.