RAM future upgradibilty

Go to solution Solved by Christophe Corazza,

You actually can use memory modules of different sizes, different brands, different voltages, and different CAS latency settings. The system will simply configure both modules to run at settings compatible to both, meaning the slowest frequency, the slowest CAS latency, and the lowest voltage that will allow both modules (or all modules) to run stably.

It is certainly preferable to use RAM modules with the same speed, size, brand, and CAS latency settings.

So later I ant to expand my 16gb ram to 32 gb, what I want to know is can I just add two more 8gb sticks or so I have to replace my two 8gb sticks with two 16gb sticks? Thanks.

My CPU is the Intel I7 8700k

That depends on your motherboard. If it has 4 slots then you can just add two more 8GB sticks.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

That depends on your motherboard. If it has 4 slots then you can just add two more 8GB sticks.

It has 4 slots

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

Just make sure the additional sticks are the same speed otherwise the faster RAM will downclock to the slower RAMs speed

Main Rig: cpu: Intel 6600k OC @ 4.5Ghz; gpu: Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 2080 (OC'd); mb: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3; ram: 16 GB (2x8GB) 3000 G.Skill Ripjaws V; psu: EVGA 650BQ; storage: 500GB Samsung 850 evo, 2TB WD Black; case: Cooler Master HAF 912; cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Lots of fans, Air!; display: 4k Samsung 42" TV, Asus MX259H 1080p audio: Schiit Audio Magni Amp w/ Audio Technica M50x

Just now, EarthWormJM2 said:

Just make sure the additional sticks are the same speed otherwise the faster RAM will downclock to the slower RAMs speed

Ok, I planned to use the same exact ram as my other two anyway, but thanks for the information 

1 minute ago, EarthWormJM2 said:

3 minutes ago, Lurick said:

But I read on sources that my I7 8700k only supports up to two ram sticks, is this true?

1 minute ago, Totally Not Woojin said:

But I read on sources that my I7 8700k only supports up to two ram sticks, is this true?

That's complete bullocks

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Totally Not Woojin said:

Not in the slightest. It depends on the motherboard.

Main Rig: cpu: Intel 6600k OC @ 4.5Ghz; gpu: Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 2080 (OC'd); mb: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3; ram: 16 GB (2x8GB) 3000 G.Skill Ripjaws V; psu: EVGA 650BQ; storage: 500GB Samsung 850 evo, 2TB WD Black; case: Cooler Master HAF 912; cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Lots of fans, Air!; display: 4k Samsung 42" TV, Asus MX259H 1080p audio: Schiit Audio Magni Amp w/ Audio Technica M50x

7 minutes ago, Totally Not Woojin said:

So later I ant to expand my 16gb ram to 32 gb, what I want to know is can I just add two more 8gb sticks or so I have to replace my two 8gb sticks with two 16gb sticks? Thanks.

My CPU is the Intel I7 8700k

Get yourself two 8 GB RAM modules with a clock speed of something like 3000 MHz. I wouldn't go any higher than 3200 MHz if you are mainly playing games.

If your motherboard has 4 or more RAM slots, you can simply add more RAM in the future. Make sure those future RAM modules have the same clock speed as your current ones, since your computer will run at the RAM speed of the slowest RAM module in your system.

On 6/21/2018 at 4:50 PM, Christophe Corazza said:

Get yourself two 8 GB RAM modules with a clock speed of something like 3000 MHz. I wouldn't go any higher than 3200 MHz if you are mainly playing games.

If your motherboard has 4 or more RAM slots, you can simply add more RAM in the future. Make sure those future RAM modules have the same clock speed as your current ones, since your computer will run at the RAM speed of the slowest RAM module in your system.

Final question, so can I get two 16 gb modules and pair them with my 8 gb modules, or is that a no?

You actually can use memory modules of different sizes, different brands, different voltages, and different CAS latency settings. The system will simply configure both modules to run at settings compatible to both, meaning the slowest frequency, the slowest CAS latency, and the lowest voltage that will allow both modules (or all modules) to run stably.

It is certainly preferable to use RAM modules with the same speed, size, brand, and CAS latency settings.