Need help with buying server hardware

Penava
Go to solution Solved by NelizMastr,

You don't need a hungry dGPU for a server like this. A COD4 server can work just fine with an integrated GPU. 8GB of RAM might be a bit anemic, considering you want other game servers running as well. Of course, it greatly depends on the game servers you want to host. A Minecraft server for instance should really have 2-3GB just for itself to run smoothly, and it'll take one or two CPU cores as well.

I'd stay away from the Xeons mentioned in the video at the start of your post, as they're Core 2 based and very power hungry (130W TDP for the quad cores). Ideally you'd want a 1366 board and 6-core Xeon but that's out of your price range. 

For this price range, I'd suggest a socket 1156 board with 4 RAM slots (H55 and P55 chipset are both fine) and a Xeon X3440 and fill it up with RAM. To reduce power consumption, throw in a GT210 or some other basic PCIe card you have.

aliexpress.com/item/For-Asus-P7P55-M-Original-Used-Desktop-Motherboard-For-Intel-P55-LGA-1156-For-i5-i7/32808358951.html   - €56

aliexpress.com/item/Original-Intel-Xeon-X3440-Quad-Core-2-53GHz-LGA-1156-8M-Cache-95W-Desktop-CPU/32623840283.html - €16

aliexpress.com/item/Kingston-Desktop-PC-Memory-RAM-Memoria-Module-DDR2-800-667-MHz-PC2-6400-1GB-2GB-4GB/32872219973.html (select 4GB 1333 2pc) €43

Total: €115,-  so enough left over for a quiet cooler :) 

Using this video as some kind of a reference.

I would like to build server for my personal use, so here are some details:

Server use:

-CoD4 (2007) server (for up to 10 people, but mostly 6)

-Teamspeak 3 server

-XAMPP service (for website that would serve as control panel)

-MediaBrowser

-Other "not so demanding" game servers

Most of the time not all features will be used at same time.

What i have:

Reason: Want to be able to write own programs in C#/C++ that will do my bidding for any purpose i like and want to be able to run COD4 (2007) server

GPU: Radeon HD6770

This is optional, but would like to include it since i don't know if some game server require a GPU

RAM: 2x 4 GB DDR3 (non-ECC)/a lot of DDR2 1/2 GB sticks

Honestly I'm looking for tips about which line of CPUs are, as said in video, EOL and can be bought for cheap, also keep in mind that its no use to find 10 $ great CPU if mobo for it costs 150 $

Budget is 150 $ (don't want to go over for a project like this), main problem is that shipping to croatia is most of  the time 20-30 $, but info about which line is available would be enough for me.

I'm currently running my old gaming pc as server but the CPU is Phenom II x4 955 that has 125 W TDP which is too much imo for a server

old setup:

Phenom II x4 955 (125 W TDP)

8GB DDR3

HD6770 (108 W TDP)

1TB HDD

Other not so relevant info:

Its hot here and I don't mind noise so much but old pc sounds like a f***ing jet taking off

Feel free to ask for details, i will try to provide as much as possible.

You don't need a hungry dGPU for a server like this. A COD4 server can work just fine with an integrated GPU. 8GB of RAM might be a bit anemic, considering you want other game servers running as well. Of course, it greatly depends on the game servers you want to host. A Minecraft server for instance should really have 2-3GB just for itself to run smoothly, and it'll take one or two CPU cores as well.

I'd stay away from the Xeons mentioned in the video at the start of your post, as they're Core 2 based and very power hungry (130W TDP for the quad cores). Ideally you'd want a 1366 board and 6-core Xeon but that's out of your price range. 

For this price range, I'd suggest a socket 1156 board with 4 RAM slots (H55 and P55 chipset are both fine) and a Xeon X3440 and fill it up with RAM. To reduce power consumption, throw in a GT210 or some other basic PCIe card you have.

aliexpress.com/item/For-Asus-P7P55-M-Original-Used-Desktop-Motherboard-For-Intel-P55-LGA-1156-For-i5-i7/32808358951.html   - €56

aliexpress.com/item/Original-Intel-Xeon-X3440-Quad-Core-2-53GHz-LGA-1156-8M-Cache-95W-Desktop-CPU/32623840283.html - €16

aliexpress.com/item/Kingston-Desktop-PC-Memory-RAM-Memoria-Module-DDR2-800-667-MHz-PC2-6400-1GB-2GB-4GB/32872219973.html (select 4GB 1333 2pc) €43

Total: €115,-  so enough left over for a quiet cooler :) 

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

Thank you for so much details. I will look into this. 

I'd go so far to say probably nobody on this board needs a Xeon at their house.

Server hardware is loud it's cumbersome and it's designed for reliability over anything else.

In other words consumer stuff is fine for home servers.

(I'm curious of the ppl that own servers, how many of them actually have 19" racks..)

"Only proprietary software vendors want proprietary software." - Dexter's Law

10 minutes ago, jde3 said:

I'd go so far to say probably nobody on this board needs a Xeon at their house.

There's consumer level Xeons (like the X34xx series) that are just super cheap compared to the i5/i7 counter parts and of course there's the X56xx series that still makes a potent gaming/workstation rig today.

10 minutes ago, jde3 said:

(I'm curious of the ppl that own servers, how many of them actually have 19" racks..)

I have a DL380 G7 rackserver on the floor in the attic. No space for a rack until I get a place of my own, but I do intend to get one (have more stuff lined up for that time) as I'm a pretty heavy virtualization freak xD but your idea certainly is confirmed :) 

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

5 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

There's consumer level Xeons (like the X34xx series) that are just super cheap compared to the i5/i7 counter parts and of course there's the X56xx series that still makes a potent gaming/workstation rig today.

I have a DL380 G7 rackserver on the floor in the attic. No space for a rack until I get a place of my own, but I do intend to get one (have more stuff lined up for that time) as I'm a pretty heavy virtualization freak xD but your idea certainly is confirmed :) 

well.. you got a 2700x in your profile.. that would prob make a better server than 99% of the stuff you can get on ebay for the money. :)

2 minutes ago, jde3 said:

well.. you got a 2700x in your profile.. that would prob make a better server than 99% of the stuff you can get on ebay for the money. :)

Yep. It's a proper beast :)  

The only reason I have the DL380 G7 is because it was free and because I got 80GB of RAM with it. If I had to buy it outright I wouldn't have at all and probably put the money to more DDR4 for my main rig ^_^ 

If I were to build a server machine on Ryzen I'd grab a 1700 or 2700 though, because power consumption. Those chips are crazy efficient.

1 minute ago, NelizMastr said:

Yep. It's a proper beast :)  

The only reason I have the DL380 G7 is because it was free and because I got 80GB of RAM with it. If I had to buy it outright I wouldn't have at all and probably put the money to more DDR4 for my main rig ^_^ 

If I were to build a server machine on Ryzen I'd grab a 1700 or 2700 though, because power consumption. Those chips are crazy efficient.

Ya I own a 1700. I got it for VM hosting originally but I just use it for a desktop currently. (if my former comrades at Intel knew.. heh)