Can i oc the r5 1600?

Can i overclock the ryzen 5 1600 at 4.2ish ghz with a b350 board and something like a masterliquid 240 lite. If i can overclock that ryzen to 4.2ish ill probably get this price per performance build

You can also rate it if u want to.

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  ($175.02 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - MasterLiquid Lite 240 66.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($52.00 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-AB350M-DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($64.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($94.00 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $90.00) 
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $44.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Turbo Video Card  ($719.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: NZXT - S340 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($40.00 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($54.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1200.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-06-19 12:12 EDT-0400

Its a gaming build, yes it might be better to put in a i5-8400 and id save some money,but ive seen the r5 2600 when oced get equal and sometime better performance then the i5-8400, and when threads get more used in games im sure it would be better. Maybe i overdone the 1080 ti but im planning on playing some 4K and some 1440P 144hz and i need it to be a 1080 ti bcuz im not putting a gsync monitor and i need the fps to always be more then 144 bcuz again i have no gsync.

Also i know i should wait for the launch of the 1180/2080 and im doing that, i just put a 1080 ti just bcuz its the most comparable gpu to it. Heres a build if the 1180/2080 as 600$ (people say thats gonna be the msrp)

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  ($175.02 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master -     MasterLiquid Lite 240 66.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($52.00 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-AB350M-DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($64.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($94.00 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $90.00) 
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $44.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1180 16GB Video Card  ($600.00 @ NVIDIA HEADQUARTERS ) 
Case: NZXT - S340 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($40.00 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($54.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1081
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-06-19 12:12 EDT-0400

You can overclock, but not to 4.2ghz it is literally impossible as Ryzen first gen silicon tops at 4.1ghz and even so it's a tough call with a low end motherboard and PSU.

A b360 and the i5 8400 does makes more sense as it'll be better at gaming and hassle free.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Cannot promise and specific speed when overclocking.

It's also be leery about OC on a B350 just because of VRM. I don't know that board well enough to say anything, but Gamers Nexus has a good video on this.

1 minute ago, Princess Cadence said:

You can overclock, but not to 4.2ghz it is literally impossible as Ryzen first gen silicon tops at 4.1ghz and even so it's a tough call with a low end motherboard and PSU.

A b360 and the i5 8400 does makes more sense as it'll be better at gaming and hassle free.

yeah ik 

how is the the psu low end? xD Tech deals the dude that reviews that psu recommends it

5 minutes ago, YourNewPalAlex said:

yeah ik 

how is the the psu low end? xD Tech deals the dude that reviews that psu recommends it

A 550 watt PSU with a 1080 to and OC your CPU on top of that? You'll be pushing it, especially since I've found Ryzen needs stable power, so you'll need to make sure the PSU doesn't drop a single millivolt to the CPU or you'll hard crash.

Also, I'd recommend a better board with better voltage stability.

8 minutes ago, YourNewPalAlex said:

yeah ik 

I recommend at least a 600 watt. Especially if you plan on OC.  

11 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

Cannot promise and specific speed when overclocking.

It's also be leery about OC on a B350 just because of VRM. I don't know that board well enough to say anything, but Gamers Nexus has a good video on this.

so ill be better off just going i5-8400? ok

2 minutes ago, YourNewPalAlex said:

so ill be better off just going i5-8400? ok

You cant OC that chip. 

4 minutes ago, coyotetracker said:

I recommend at least a 600 watt. Especially if you plan on OC.  

ok ok

Just now, coyotetracker said:

You cant OC that chip. 

ik but since u guys say that mobo is very unlikely to oc, then im just better of going for a locked i5 with a cheap mobo and a decent cooler so it hits turbo at 3.8Ghz

1 minute ago, coyotetracker said:

If you want to OC

well i figured it would be better then the locked i5 

2 minutes ago, YourNewPalAlex said:

ik but since u guys say that mobo is very unlikely to oc, then im just better of going for a locked i5 with a cheap mobo and a decent cooler so it hits turbo at 3.8Ghz

the B350 is a very good chipset to OC on you should be able to hit 3.9 no problem.

the B350 is a very good chipset to OC on you should be able to hit 3.9 no problem.

yeah but its gonna be worse then the locked i5 right? At boost clock that is

Well even though the ryzen chip may be slightly higher clocked. You probably will get better stability on the i5. You will also have better single threaded performance on the i5. So its probably better for you to use the i5. If you're going to be streaming i recommend the r5.

18 minutes ago, YourNewPalAlex said:

Tech deals the dude that reviews that psu recommends it

Wait, this thing? First thing I found. 

Spoiler

He doesn't know shit, that isn't even close to a review. Avoid that clown, as he apparently has no problem making an entire video spewing crap. 

:)

Well even though the ryzen chip may be slightly higher clocked. You probably will get better stability on the i5. You will also have better single threaded performance on the i5. So its probably better for you to use the i5. If you're going to be streaming i recommend the r5.

2 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Wait, this thing? First thing I found. 

Reveal hidden contents

He doesn't know shit, that isn't even close to a review. Avoid that clown, as he apparently has no problem making an entire video spewing crap. 

you think so? I dunno i trust him asf bcuz i bought my first psu from him and it was pretty decent, like in the review, also theres no other psu reviewing channel which is kinda sad. :/ 

3 minutes ago, coyotetracker said:

hahah no i aint streaming

1 minute ago, YourNewPalAlex said:

you think so? I dunno i trust him asf bcuz i bought my first psu from him and it was pretty decent, like in the review, also theres no other psu reviewing channel which is kinda sad. :/ 

He doesn't test anything, he doesn't mention anything of relevance and he shows a complete lack of knowledge. 

How do you know that the PSU is decent? Unless you've tested it with a load tester and oscilloscope, and have torn it apart, you don't really know if it's decent. You can, however look at proper reviews, which will tell you what you need to know. 

For proper reviews, there's plenty of written reviews. Gamersnexus is apparently going to start doing PSU reviews, and OC3D occasionally does some basic reviews. 

:)

2 minutes ago, seon123 said:

He doesn't test anything, he doesn't mention anything of relevance and he shows a complete lack of knowledge. 

How do you know that the PSU is decent? Unless you've tested it with a load tester and oscilloscope, and have torn it apart, you don't really know if it's decent. You can, however look at proper reviews, which will tell you what you need to know. 

For proper reviews, there's plenty of written reviews. Gamersnexus is apparently going to start doing PSU reviews, and OC3D occasionally does some basic reviews. 

Dude calm down its a Corsair PSU and besides that its 80+ bronze. Corsair makes solid PSU's.

7 minutes ago, YourNewPalAlex said:

hahah no i aint streaming

Btw use pcPartpicker they have a built-in wattage calculator so you can find a power supply easily. 

Dude calm down its a Corsair PSU and besides that its 80+ bronze. Corsair makes solid PSU's.

yeah i though he was fucking fuming tooxD

Btw use pcPartpicker they have a built-in wattage calculator so you can find a power supply easily. 

thats why i put a 550W psu