android 6 vs 7 vs 8

liquidmagma
Go to solution Solved by Darkseth,

Difficult to say. Apps get bigger and more taxing over time, so idk if you can compare them like that.

A Galaxy S3 ran quite good back then. But now, it would be a drag to use it, with same OS.

When it launched, my S7 Edge ran like hell Over time, it got slower, was really lagging sometimes, i had low free space, tons of unused apps, etc etc. Even Oreo Update didn't help that much

Few days ago, i re-flashed Oreo Firmware with a complete Wipe, and configurated it again (of course, i didn't install all the apps again.

Right now, freshly installed/configurated 8.0 Oreo firmware.. it runs pretty good.

Regardless, even if 6.0 (the very first firmware, it was launched with) would run slightly better... What would that change? I wouldn't recommend using a 2 year old Security patch anyway, unless you want to risk anything ^^

7, and 8 also did brought some design changes, in my opinion for the better. Some small Bugs were fixed over the time, some features got better (Always On Display got the ability to show notification Symbols like Whatsapp).

So anyway, i would recommend a fresh Flash of the latest 8.0 Firmware with Odin (no warranty loss, no knox trigger) depending on your region.

If you are familiar with Root/Custom Roms, visit XDA: https://forum.xda-developers.com/s7-edge/development

There are several Custom Roms, most of them based on the official Samsung Firmware - however some very performance optimized.

The most popular one would be the Superman Rom: https://forum.xda-developers.com/s7-edge/development/rom-s7-edge-rom-v1-1-t3356699

what are the pros and cons of each version? what performs the best? battery life.

All I base this off is my experience with the versions on my LG G6:

7: blob emoji are great, snappy and pretty nice over all

8: slightly better battery life than 7 but not as snappy which is especially noticeable when quick switching apps with the dual overview button shortcut. 

All that could be from LGs shitty skin or from the android version, the newer android versions also have more security features and stuff like that

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

useful information maybe?

i have a samsung galaxy s7 edge with exynos 8890

7 is newer than 6.

8 is newer than 7.

There are no pros in having an old version. Newer is always the better option, especially on Android, where older versions can have security leaks, not supporting certain Apps (if VERY old, 6 won't have any problems here).

So yea. If your Device has a newer Version, update.

Battery Life: Never experienced any difference due to the OS version itself. If it goes down, then it will be because of an "unclean" System, alot bloatware, too many Apps draining battery etc.

For S7 Edge: Latest Oreo update if available in your area. Always the latest.

9 minutes ago, Darkseth said:

7 is newer than 6.

8 is newer than 7.

There are no pros in having an old version. Newer is always the better option, especially on Android, where older versions can have security leaks, not supporting certain Apps (if VERY old, 6 won't have any problems here).

So yea. If your Device has a newer Version, update.

Battery Life: Never experienced any difference due to the OS version itself. If it goes down, then it will be because of an "unclean" System, alot bloatware, too many Apps draining battery etc.

For S7 Edge: Latest Oreo update if available in your area. Always the latest.

performance difference?  know that 8 is better than 7 but is 8 better than 6?

Difficult to say. Apps get bigger and more taxing over time, so idk if you can compare them like that.

A Galaxy S3 ran quite good back then. But now, it would be a drag to use it, with same OS.

When it launched, my S7 Edge ran like hell Over time, it got slower, was really lagging sometimes, i had low free space, tons of unused apps, etc etc. Even Oreo Update didn't help that much

Few days ago, i re-flashed Oreo Firmware with a complete Wipe, and configurated it again (of course, i didn't install all the apps again.

Right now, freshly installed/configurated 8.0 Oreo firmware.. it runs pretty good.

Regardless, even if 6.0 (the very first firmware, it was launched with) would run slightly better... What would that change? I wouldn't recommend using a 2 year old Security patch anyway, unless you want to risk anything ^^

7, and 8 also did brought some design changes, in my opinion for the better. Some small Bugs were fixed over the time, some features got better (Always On Display got the ability to show notification Symbols like Whatsapp).

So anyway, i would recommend a fresh Flash of the latest 8.0 Firmware with Odin (no warranty loss, no knox trigger) depending on your region.

If you are familiar with Root/Custom Roms, visit XDA: https://forum.xda-developers.com/s7-edge/development

There are several Custom Roms, most of them based on the official Samsung Firmware - however some very performance optimized.

The most popular one would be the Superman Rom: https://forum.xda-developers.com/s7-edge/development/rom-s7-edge-rom-v1-1-t3356699