Strange CPU goings on

Go to solution Solved by airdeano,

you are not stock, either you have some BCLK speed change or residual core speed not changed.

should be in the UEFI a default settings (usually F5), if not the old remove the CMOS battery for a minute should return all setting back to default.

they keep swapping because at idle the command to rest is any load under 10% to down clock the CPU to use less power and create more heat. anything over 10% it is to ramp up to XXX. the CSTATES policy in your UEFI contains these speeds.

Hi all, Previously i've been overclocking my i5 2500k and it has been doing pretty well but wouldnt overclock to over stock speeds because of old bios problems. I put it all back to the default settings and now its going to 4.5ghz when i boot up my pc and during stress tests goes from 3.5 to about 4.5 alternating which im assuming is thermal throttling. Whats going on xD i just want to go back to stock settings ?

Why Is it windows 10 not 9?

because 7 ate 9 
(say it)

Update: My pc is now running at a base clock of 4.23GHz and thermal throttles when under load down to 3.3 what in the fucking world ? 

because 7 ate 9 
(say it)

your cooler probably have issues.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

8 minutes ago, williamcll said:

your cooler probably have issues.

But it shouldn't be going to 4.4ghz as the boost clock for my CPU is 3.7 ghz ? ?

because 7 ate 9 
(say it)

dont think you are back to stock. the 2500k has a base clock of 3.3GHz and boost of 3.7GHz.

what is telling you these occurrences? CPU-Z? task manager?

other help would be what temperatures are you seeing to diagnosis this 'throttling' issue.

@105° Tj MAX is built in (unless the mobo has removed these safeguards)

1 minute ago, airdeano said:

dont think you are back to stock. the 2500k has a base clock of 3.3GHz and boost of 3.7GHz.

what is telling you these occurrences? CPU-Z? task manager?

other help would be what temperatures are you seeing to diagnosis this 'throttling' issue.

@105° Tj MAX is built in (unless the mobo has removed these safeguards)

Thanks airdeano, task manager is telling me my base clock is now 4.14 Ghz 
Im not worried about the throttling but i just want to go back to stock speeds, I've set the bios options back to factory defaults and it says no overclock is applied. I'm using an asrock z75 pro3. I think im going to try updating the bios and seeing how that goes :)

because 7 ate 9 
(say it)

On Cpu-z The core speed keeps swapping between 1.5 and 4.4 Ghz even when idling, Temperature is roughly 45 degrees across all cores 

2 minutes ago, airdeano said:

task manager is not a reliable measure of your system sources.

please use CPU-Z and HWMonitor (temps).

because 7 ate 9 
(say it)

you are not stock, either you have some BCLK speed change or residual core speed not changed.

should be in the UEFI a default settings (usually F5), if not the old remove the CMOS battery for a minute should return all setting back to default.

they keep swapping because at idle the command to rest is any load under 10% to down clock the CPU to use less power and create more heat. anything over 10% it is to ramp up to XXX. the CSTATES policy in your UEFI contains these speeds.

1 minute ago, airdeano said:

Thanks :) ill try removing the battery as the resetting to default settings in the bios didnt actually work :( Thanks for the tip and wish me luck !

because 7 ate 9 
(say it)

14 minutes ago, airdeano said:

You sir are a fucking saint !, Clock speed back at 3.3 now whew :D If i could buy you a beer i would !

because 7 ate 9 
(say it)