New PC build has higher ping in CSGO

nick name

Hey folks,

I replaced my Asus ROG G20CB with a new Ryzen 2700X build with an Asus Prime X470-Pro mobo. The new mobo has an Intel I211 NIC whereas the old Asus PC had some newer/higher interation NIC. Maybe the I1217? Both machines are/were plugged directly into the modem/router and it's gigabit internet speeds. It isn't a huge deal, though ping is about 20ms higher now, but it is driving me nuts trying to find a reason for the change. 

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

What was the CPU and motherboard model in the old Asus PC?

hi.

It was their small form factor gaming PC. It had a 6700 non-k but the mobo is their proprietary one for that system. 

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

Anyone have any ideas cause this is driving me nuts.

Should I buy a new INtel NIC to see if it performs better than what comes on the motherboard?

Still haven't figured this out. Driving me nuts even more now. 

• 4 months later...

I just built a new system with this exact problem. 2700x with asus strix rog x470f gaming mobo. I've tried straight to modem and router with no luck about 20 to 30ms higher in games than my old msi 990fxa/ fx8370 combo. Any help would be great figuring out how to reduce this issue. I've tried everything i know at this point

I expect this is a driver problem. It's not like Intel is producing some inferior NIC than has 20 ms latency on all connections.

Have you gone to the motherboard manufacturers website and installed the chipset drivers?

You could do a printscreen of the NIC driver details in control panel. I have a feeling that the default windows drivers are being used and not the correct drivers for the NIC.

If you didn't reinstall windows when you upgraded I think that is even more likely to happen.

Gaming Rig:CPU: Xeon E3-1230 v2¦RAM: 16GB DDR3 Balistix 1600Mhz¦MB: MSI Z77A-G43¦HDD: 480GB SSD, 3.5TB HDDs¦GPU: AMD Radeon VII¦PSU: FSP 700W¦Case: Carbide 300R

I have the lastest chipset and lan driver from the asus website. I did a fresh windows 10 pro install on a new m.2 so nothing was carried over. Here is a screen shot of the nic driver.

Untitled.png

4 hours ago, Madgemade said:

I expect this is a driver problem. It's not like Intel is producing some inferior NIC than has 20 ms latency on all connections.

Have you gone to the motherboard manufacturers website and installed the chipset drivers?

You could do a printscreen of the NIC driver details in control panel. I have a feeling that the default windows drivers are being used and not the correct drivers for the NIC.

If you didn't reinstall windows when you upgraded I think that is even more likely to happen.

Hopefully that is what you need. If not let me know what you need a picture of

Well it looks like the correct driver. It's not the default driver but one from Intel.

This looks like the latest driver from Intel. It has a more recent date than the one you have installed so it might be worth installing just to be sure.

I'm guessing you don't have any anti-virus/malware bloatware installed and no proprietary firewalls or funny stuff like that which could mess with packets.

Other than that driver I don't know what could be causing that higher ping. I guess that speed tests show the same pings as before so that would confirm not a router problem?

Gaming Rig:CPU: Xeon E3-1230 v2¦RAM: 16GB DDR3 Balistix 1600Mhz¦MB: MSI Z77A-G43¦HDD: 480GB SSD, 3.5TB HDDs¦GPU: AMD Radeon VII¦PSU: FSP 700W¦Case: Carbide 300R

Its unlikely to be the NIC, you can easily test that by pinging your router. Windows ping doesn't even show the granuality needed to see the difference between a good and crap NIC as thats something like 0.1 - 0.4ms.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/17/2018 at 4:00 AM, nick name said:

Hey folks,

I replaced my Asus ROG G20CB with a new Ryzen 2700X build with an Asus Prime X470-Pro mobo. The new mobo has an Intel I211 NIC whereas the old Asus PC had some newer/higher interation NIC. Maybe the I1217? Both machines are/were plugged directly into the modem/router and it's gigabit internet speeds. It isn't a huge deal, though ping is about 20ms higher now, but it is driving me nuts trying to find a reason for the change. 

Did you get this fixed ?

How do you measure your ping?

Ping is actually latency and it's always against some destination server. Latency is increased by any active device between your NIC and the destination server, and thus the issue could well be in any of them. You can get a latency value for any layer 3 device between your NIC and the destination server by running a traceroute. I say "a value" because they're not always accurate since ICMP responses are not a priority to network devices.

So, back to it. How do you measure your ping?

@Jun Ishiwata  No, I still can't achieve the same lows that I could with my previous system.  That system saw pings in the low 20s, but now the lowest is 35 and usually 39-41.  

@U.Ho  And since Steam doesn't give out their server addresses running a trace route isn't something I can do so I'm measuring with the game itself.  Netgraph specifically.  

All you can really do is measure against known places like 8.8.8.8 as if that comes back normal, your PC and router are more than likely fine.

Like I said, its unlikely to be a NIC issue as that would affect everything equally thus pinging your router would be showing 20ms when it should be 1ms.

Honestly pings in the low 20s are almost perfect, on a good day it takes 12ms to reach my ISP, on a bad one its double that, so pings in the low 20s to the Internet are often impossible.  You were lucky to get such low pings before, it could be completely coincidence that it changes when it did.

Do you still have the old system to test?

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

4 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

All you can really do is measure against known places like 8.8.8.8 as if that comes back normal, your PC and router are more than likely fine.

Like I said, its unlikely to be a NIC issue as that would affect everything equally thus pinging your router would be showing 20ms when it should be 1ms.

Honestly pings in the low 20s are almost perfect, on a good day it takes 12ms to reach my ISP, on a bad one its double that, so pings in the low 20s to the Internet are often impossible.  You were lucky to get such low pings before, it could be completely coincidence that it changes when it did.

The only thing that seemed obvious at the time was the new PC.  Changing from one machine to another was the only new, known variable so it made sense it was the reason for the change in the increased ping in CSGO.  I've since made many, many adjustments and it never resolved.  I'm not sure if the NIC on the old machine went through the chipset or not, but I don't think that would increase ping 20ms.  And running tracert isn't very revealing using 8.8.8.8 and I'm not sure if the fact that Google is installing Google fiber in my neighborhood currently helps this particular tracert run.  I use ATT fiber and I'm not sure exactly if or when these to routes meet up.  

trace.PNG

That certainly suggests you are reaching the Internet VERY quickly and anything beyond that point is nothing to do with your PC.

I'd be tempted to think its either hitting different game servers or your ISP routing has changed.

37 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

That certainly suggests you are reaching the Internet VERY quickly and anything beyond that point is nothing to do with your PC.

I'd be tempted to think its either hitting different game servers or your ISP routing has changed.

Yeah, it could have been coincidence that something changed with Valve servers when I changed PCs.  They were working out some new way to connect to CSGO servers, but it seemed unlikely with the timing to be at that exact moment I changed machines.  The other option is that ATT brought online a lot more fiber users as it was recently installed in the area I am in and we had it installed shortly thereafter.