Lighting hit my house fried computer

Go to solution Solved by brandynmagers,
10 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

Do you have a usb>PS2 adapter? They look like this product:

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Replacement-Keyboard-Adapter-Mini-DIN/dp/B000A0K2JO

It is possible your USB ports where damaged. Luckily PS2 ports still have life in them, and you were lucky to have bought a board with one. Grabbing a fossil keyboard works too ;)

i got a new system to start working and will just try and let the insurance company deal with replacing my computer. i was unable to fit the huge 970 g1s on top of the mobo due to clearance issues with both. other than that im seeing if any files are corrupted damaged etc

So my house got struck by lighting surged half of our house.. cableboxs, modems, etc. So once this happened i tried to boot it no response. then i suspected the psu. So I ended up borrowing a psu from my friend a cx750w Corsair psu.

I then tried to set it up still no reponse, and now i am thinking it is the motherboard but have no idea how to check, there are no beeps or blinks. I have no idea how to test anything from here. the only thing that shows on the motherboard is one led labeled 'power led' no other led seen (Asus z-97-a).

ASUS z-97-a

(2x) gtx 970 g1 gigabyte

intel 730 ssd

ripjaw (2x8) ram

currently trying my evga g2 750w gold and cx750 corsair PSU

Motherboard:: Asus Maxiumus ROG Crosshair VII AM4     Ram:: G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB)     SSD:: Intel 730 series 240Gb SSD
 GPU:: ASUS GTX 1080 8GB ROG Strix     CPU:: AMD Ryzen 7 2700x @3.70GHz   COOLING:: NZXT Kraken x72 AiO, 3x Thermaltake Riing Plus

The PSU is most likely fried.

Beyond that, you'll have to test each component individually to ensure that it's working. Power supplies are known to take other parts with them when they go.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

The PSU is most likely fried.

Beyond that, you'll have to test each component individually to ensure that it's working. Power supplies are known to take other parts with them when they go.

im using a psu that i know works. but how would i detect if something else is fried it wont turn on at all/ no lights except that one

Motherboard:: Asus Maxiumus ROG Crosshair VII AM4     Ram:: G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB)     SSD:: Intel 730 series 240Gb SSD
 GPU:: ASUS GTX 1080 8GB ROG Strix     CPU:: AMD Ryzen 7 2700x @3.70GHz   COOLING:: NZXT Kraken x72 AiO, 3x Thermaltake Riing Plus

If you can at least access motherboard BIOS, you can check from there if there is a CPU detected or if the correct amount of RAM is applied etc.

If you can't even reach that point, maybe your motherboard was next to be axed.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

3 minutes ago, brandynmagers said:

im using a psu that i know works. but how would i detect if something else is fried it wont turn on at all/ no lights except that one

@Crunchy Dragon he doesnt know how to test it. here is a link to a post on the forums this should help in conquest to see what died 

Sorry about the lightning strike frying your PC, but I have to chime in and say buy a lotto ticket.  You know cause of probability and stuff.  Lightning strike= Powerball winner, every time! 

Yea im kind of out of options i unplugged each thing adn tried starting it but no luck. I think it's either the CPU or Mobo but dont really know how to test it. Im still not sure on the led on the MOBO it says it has power but no start.

38 minutes ago, brandynmagers said:

So I ended up borrowing a psu from my friend a cx750w Corsair psu.

maybe your friend will be kind enough to let you plug some components into his pc to see if they work? graphics card, ram if same type etc . . 

Try resetting the CMOS (as mentioned in the topic linked), see if that fixes it.

If not yank out the GPU's Try posting

If no luck yank out the RAM

if still no luck yank out the CPU

If nothing works replace or borrow a motherboard to test the CPU

I have already testing all other components besides the cpu due to not having another motherboard, but i will try the other components in his computer thanks for the idea.

2 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

Try resetting the CMOS (as mentioned in the topic linked), see if that fixes it.

also ill try cmos and let you know what happens

59 minutes ago, brandynmagers said:

So my house got struck by lighting surged half of our house.

Given that you're a Pikachu I'm inclined to believe that you were the source of this lightning. :dry:

18 minutes ago, MaxBunny said:

Given that you're a Pikachu I'm inclined to believe that you were the source of this lightning. :dry:

its very ironic

1 hour ago, MaxBunny said:

Nah I blame the Pichu Brothers for arguing about which one was Pikachu's favorite... I have video proof see for yourself:

WetSizzlingBass-max-1mb.gif

SentimentalDistantAldabratortoise-max-1m

now im having issues on getting to bios it keeps brining me to uefi shell and cant get into bios via f keys or delete

1 hour ago, Egg-Roll said:

1 hour ago, Beowulff83 said:

maybe your friend will be kind enough to let you plug some components into his pc to see if they work? graphics card, ram if same type etc . . 

10 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

Do you have a usb>PS2 adapter? They look like this product:

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Replacement-Keyboard-Adapter-Mini-DIN/dp/B000A0K2JO

It is possible your USB ports where damaged. Luckily PS2 ports still have life in them, and you were lucky to have bought a board with one. Grabbing a fossil keyboard works too ;)

i got a new system to start working and will just try and let the insurance company deal with replacing my computer. i was unable to fit the huge 970 g1s on top of the mobo due to clearance issues with both. other than that im seeing if any files are corrupted damaged etc

Something similar happened to me when I was a kid. Lightning struck the house, all the lights turned on for a moment, and half the electronics were fried. No computers died, oddly enough.

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy

5 hours ago, brandynmagers said:

Out of curiosity do you have UPS? If not I would recommend getting one because while being struck by lightning again is very unlikely (unless you're actually trying to or someone else there is), brownouts and power surges happen regularly some places more so than others. Plus replacing one of those is usually cheaper than a whole computer.

Take the computer to a nearby shop. They have the info and the instruments. Dont risk other components. You could fry them if installed on a burned psu/mobo.

Main system (Mini itx 80mm)

i5-7500 | Asrock h110m | Noctua L9i | Realan H80 Case | 8GB 2400 Ram ADATA | M600 SSD | 500 GB Seagate

Other System (Laptop)

i7 3632QM | Toshiba | 8GB Corsair VS RAM | Sandisk SSD PLUS | 500GB Toshiba HDD