Possible to enable screen mirroring with a root?

benji_

When i try to mirror my old Samsung J3 6 to my amazon fire tv stick, it doesnt work, presumably since the J3 6 doesnt actually support screen mirroring.

Im wondering if its possible to enable by rooting and then flipping it on of some sort.

Tried googling it but can't really find anything

Possible? :)

CPU: i7 4790k 

GPU: Gigabyte Windforce3 GTX 1080

RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengance 1600MHz (@1333Mhz) + 8GB Balisticx Sport or something 1333MHz

MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5

PSU: 1000W EVGA 1000G 80+ GOLD

Case: Dark Base 700

Cooling: Dark Rock Pro 3 CPU Cooler + Standard Case Fans

Drives: Intel SSD5 180GB (Boot Drive) + Seagate Baracuda 1TB HDD + Seagate Baracuda 4TB HDD

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow RGB 2013

Mouse: Corsair Harpoon RGB

Speakers: Creative T15 Bluetooth Speakers

Microphone: Samson Meteor Mic

Monitor: AOC G2590VXQ 75Hz + ASUS VS247 + Shitty Generic 1080p 60Hz TV

LED Controller: NZXT HUE+

4 hours ago, huilun02 said:

didnt help,

ive tried apps to mirror it but since it doesnt support it natively, im asking if rooted its possible to enable it

RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengance 1600MHz (@1333Mhz) + 8GB Balisticx Sport or something 1333MHz

Drives: Intel SSD5 180GB (Boot Drive) + Seagate Baracuda 1TB HDD + Seagate Baracuda 4TB HDD

8 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Ah it seems your Fire TV stick does mirroring with Miracast. In this case your phone will require THREE separate and distinct features to stream over Miracast:

• Wireless chipset support,
  • Operating system support
  • Driver support

If the phone chipset supports Miracast but has it disabled in the OS, you will need to install a custom rom that allows you to access the feature.

Does the chipset support Miracast? Don't know. Never had a J3.

according to this, the chipset specs are Spreadtrum SC9830 and Exynos 3475 Quad - USA. and the only thing i can find when i search j3 custom rom miracast is this. gonna give it a try, phone is worthless to me anyway so if i fuck it up then oh well

wish me luck

5 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Its one or the other based on the model you have. The Exynos chip is used for the carrier models that operate on CDMA.

That custom rom is specifically for the European model (J320FN) and had no mention of Miracast support

Trying to get it onto other models will probably result in a soft brick

Hopefully you have the right device. Good luck

i think at this point it'l just be easier to buy a phone which has miracast

1 minute ago, benji_ said:

i think at this point it'l just be easier to buy a phone which has miracast

Depending on what one is doing, the latency I found to be too great for doing much beyond watching video or web browsing anyway.

I tried using screen mirroring for game emulation (LineageOS provides great support for this), and while the results look good, even scaled to a big TV (with crt shaders), the latency kills the experience entirely.

Honestly, I probably wouldn't bother with screen mirroring for personal use. You can find cheap devices to do video, and anything beyond that Latency will impact anyway. Only other application I could see for screen mirroring where latency won't ruin thing is for doing presentations from a mobile device.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

1 minute ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Depending on what one is doing, the latency I found to be too great for doing much beyond watching video or web browsing anyway.

I tried using screen mirroring for game emulation (LineageOS provides great support for this), and while the results look good, even scaled to a big TV (with crt shaders), the latency kills the experience entirely.

Honestly, I probably wouldn't bother with screen mirroring for personal use. You can find cheap devices to do video, and anything beyond that Latency will impact anyway. Only other application I could see for screen mirroring where latency won't ruin thing is for doing presentations from a mobile device.

totally legal film and tv show streaming using a totally legal app on my phone. trying to mirror it to my fire tv stick in the living room for totally legal purposes

Just now, benji_ said:

totally legal film and tv show streaming using a totally legal app on my phone. trying to mirror it to my fire tv stick in the living room for totally legal purposes

If the likelyhood of buying a new device for this purpose is a concern, wouldn't it make more sense to go with an Android box (like a Shield TV) or a small PC such as a Compute Stick. Even the first gen Compute Stick is sufficient for video streams, unless your completely legal sites like to use h.265, in which case, a Shield TV would be the better option, or some other box with said decoder.

My eyes see the past…

1 minute ago, Zodiark1593 said:

If the likelyhood of buying a new device for this purpose is a concern, wouldn't it make more sense to go with an Android box (like a Shield TV) or a small PC such as a Compute Stick. Even the first gen Compute Stick is sufficient for video streams, unless your completely legal sites like to use h.265, in which case, a Shield TV would be the better option, or some other box with said decoder.

nah, ive got amazon prime so i can watch all of amazons shows, but if i want to watch say breaking bad or something then i need netflix too, granted its only £8 a month but when i could get a cheap shitty pre owned android phone instead for the cost of maybe 3 or 4 months thats a better value to me

5 minutes ago, benji_ said:

nah, ive got amazon prime so i can watch all of amazons shows, but if i want to watch say breaking bad or something then i need netflix too, granted its only £8 a month but when i could get a cheap shitty pre owned android phone instead for the cost of maybe 3 or 4 months thats a better value to me

Miracast hasn't been supported in official Android builds in quite some time (in favor of per-app casting), so it may be difficult finding a phone with support without going Custom ROM. My own phone, a LeEco Le Pro 3 has support for display mirroring in Lineage OS, though installing a custom ROM is quite involved, and the phone itself would still probably cost as much as a nice Android set top box anyway.

My eyes see the past…

2 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Miracast hasn't been supported in official Android builds in quite some time (in favor of per-app casting), so it may be difficult finding a phone with support without going Custom ROM. My own phone, a LeEco Le Pro 3 has support for display mirroring in Lineage OS, though installing a custom ROM is quite involved, and the phone itself would still probably cost as much as a nice Android set top box anyway.

ill probably just buy some cheap shit off facebook or gumtree. will check if it supports first ofc