Is it safe to buy a used router?

Hip
Go to solution Solved by iris7,

Its fine.  I get most of my networking hardware used.  You should be fine if you just perform a factory reset on the device.  It will clear all the existing configurations and set it to factory defaults.

Hey guys,

I hope this post is in the right topic at first.

So as the title already says I'm thinking of buying a used router.

I'm just curious if they can be "hacked/manipulated" or unsafe in some kind of way?

Thanks in advance!!

Its fine.  I get most of my networking hardware used.  You should be fine if you just perform a factory reset on the device.  It will clear all the existing configurations and set it to factory defaults.

If you never need to pull a server out of racks, you are probably doing something right.

17 minutes ago, Hip said:

Hey guys,

I'm just curious if they can be "hacked/manipulated" or unsafe in some kind of way?

Thanks in advance!!

Buying a used router is completely fine.

As stated by @sinfulfartzilla, once you've performed a factory reset, all settings and configurations in your router's BIOS will be back to default. So you're good to go.

34 minutes ago, Hip said:

Hey guys,

Thanks in advance!!

As long as its current in the fact that the company still provides firmware updates, then its fine. I mean buying an old router no longer supports is OK, but I would say one that is still being provided updates is what you want. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

44 minutes ago, Hip said:

Hey guys,

Thanks in advance!!

Factory reset and you're good to go. That being said, please let us know the router model number and manufacturer, along with the price you're looking to buy it for. This way we can see if there are any custom firmware options for it, and advise you if it's a good deal or not.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)