Should I bother LM my laptop?

KillaX

Heya, I'm trying to decide if I want to bother with using LM on a laptop's CPU/GPU. But, I want to know how practical it is.  This is a travel laptop, so it gets moved around a lot.  I own both Kryonaut and Conductonaut.  Has anyone tried to liquid metal a laptop, then apply something like a high-temp silicone glue, to form a gasket around the CPU, to help reduce risk of liquid metal possibly running out, so its "safer"?

My main question though, is wondering if its even practical. Laptops have pretty limited cooling. So I feel if you use liquid metal, eventually you'll reach the point where the heatsink cant cool fast enough, and well..things will run hot regardless what paste is used.  Knowing that, is it worth using liquid metal? Or will I benifit enough by using kryonaut, and less hassles?

I own a Dell XPS 15, which runs I7-7700HQ and Nvidia GTX 1050. I often see people benifit changing the paste, as idling on a desk, it runs around 45-50C. Doing light activities ( youtube..browsing..etc ) tends to have its 60+ moments. And well...to no surprise, bench marking can do 85-90C...but..that'll be the case with any paste used, with enough time. I'm just trying to lower my temps for like.. basic use.

https://imgur.com/Fhx9JYE
https://imgur.com/KtR5edQ

4 minutes ago, KillaX said:

Heya, I'm trying to decide if I want to bother with using LM on a laptop's CPU/GPU. But, I want to know how practical it is.  This is a travel laptop, so it gets moved around a lot.  I own both Kryonaut and Conductonaut.  Has anyone tried to liquid metal a laptop, then apply something like a high-temp silicone glue, to form a gasket around the CPU, to help reduce risk of liquid metal possibly running out, so its "safer"?

My main question though, is wondering if its even practical. Laptops have pretty limited cooling. So I feel if you use liquid metal, eventually you'll reach the point where the heatsink cant cool fast enough, and well..things will run hot regardless what paste is used.  Knowing that, is it worth using liquid metal? Or will I benifit enough by using kryonaut, and less hassles?

I own a Dell XPS 15, which runs I7-7700HQ and Nvidia GTX 1050. I often see people benifit changing the paste, as idling on a desk, it runs around 45-50C. Doing light activities ( youtube..browsing..etc ) tends to have its 60+ moments. And well...to no surprise, bench marking can do 85-90C...but..that'll be the case with any paste used, with enough time. I'm just trying to lower my temps for like.. basic use.

https://imgur.com/Fhx9JYE
https://imgur.com/KtR5edQ

Well, I did it with my i7 4710HQ, and mostly it stays around 60°C under load, overclocked by 200MHz for each turbo bin, with a -65 mv core voltage offset, I don't think LM on a laptop is really needed. Kyro would work well enough I think. 

Yours faithfully

If you are moving the laptop around alot, I wouldn't LM it as you risk frying it if the LM slides off the cpu die

print "Hello World!" ("Hello World!")

LM  will give you around -20 °C even on a laptop, if you apply it properly and only wet both surfaces lightly it should also be quite safe. It is only dangerous if you apply so much that it can bead easily despite the high surface tension... you really just need a teeny tiny amount.

More importantly though just cleaning your laptop heatsink and applying decent aftermarket paste will probably be enough. I got the same laptop and just cleaning it, changing the paste for mx-2 and downvolting it a bit dropped the temps by alot.

Thanks for the input, i wanted to see where people float on the idea of it and go from there. Ill look into reducing voltage and give kryonaut a try, and see how things look from there. This was a refurbished laptop, so its pretty hard to say how long the paste has been there.  I dont really game on this laptop, so im not looking to overclock or go insane with it. I just want to reduce temps as i feel theyre a bit high for what it is.

Again, thanks for the advice!