Custom machined Waterblocks (Pics)

Figure you guys might enjoy some custom waterblcoks machined out on a 3 axis CNC mill (HAAS).

Its for a project I'm working on.

This first set was a prototype that I wasn't entirely happy with. Surface needs to be lapped and cleaned up. Had to use fly cutter due to some constraints, which is why the contacting surface looks the way it does in the last photo (any why lapping needs to be done).

Specs:
Aluminum 5052

Yes, EK fittings

IMG_0026.thumb.JPG.8d7ebe4b83cb03c2ea071f8ed096c8ea.JPG

IMG_0025.thumb.JPG.781f014a702a1c92f1345088f506a636.JPG

IMG_0024.thumb.JPG.67e63f2d7868b2a5130c734d7bc59db1.JPG

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Looking slick. I'm curious as to their performance.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

The lack of a groove for a o-ring indicates to me you might be considering braising or otherwise 'sealing' these ?

Large channels instead of microfins also ...sub ambient loop perhaps ..maybe subzero ?

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

9 hours ago, SolarNova said:

The lack of a groove for a o-ring indicates to me you might be considering braising or otherwise 'sealing' these ?

Large channels instead of microfins also ...sub ambient loop perhaps ..maybe subzero ?

There are other methods than 'o-rings' that can be used to create seals. This prototype specifically uses flat gaskets.

As to microfins: There are issues with pressure drop and flow rate. This needs to have a relatively low pressure drop and high flow rate in L/min. So, larger channels. The serpentine also help control fluid velocity before hitting the fins at the top. The taper before the fins ensures even pressure distribution across the fins.

Sub ambient and sub zero is actually what is specked for. A chiller will be used for this, its for a cooling some power electronics and HV DC sources.

9 hours ago, tikker said:

Looking slick. I'm curious as to their performance.

Have simulations in hand for fluid + heat transfer. They perform well. Running though full testing this month.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

14 hours ago, ionbasa said:

Have simulations in hand for fluid + heat transfer. They perform well.

Looks very nice indeed! Do you have any CFD results that you can show? :-D