Need help with a proper internet connection

Go to solution Solved by factorialandha,
Just now, Lawrence196 said:

Thankyou, this could work, but my family likes to use the apple airdrop router which isnt real good, could i run an extra router?

you can wire as many routers in as you have network ports on the comcast device for the most part, but you are limited to the throughput of the switch on the comcast device for that method it makes for a very disjointed network and makes communication between devices between those access points a little problematic, but if you dont care about that, id look at decent "whole home" wireless systems maybe, some of them have good reviews and apparently work well. But can be expensive, so its all down to how much you want to spend

For more over a year now i have been struggling with my wifi or internet connection. My router is about 35 feet from my computers location and whatever I try, I cant seem to keep a stable connection. I have tried multiple adapters, powerline, and i am just now trying a pcie archer T6E wifi card and have gotten poor results. My router/modem is a XB3 xfinity, more recent model. My biggest success so far has been powerline, but i get a occasional drop outs.I also live in a rather large house so the electricity is everywhere. I was wondering if their were any suggestions to solve my issuse, please and thankyou.

Try a 50 foot LAN cable and moving closer to your router.

Or you could replace the router, as it sounds like that's the problem here.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

the long cable would look very messy, and im not sure i am able to change the router

If you cannot run cables themselves, wireless or powerline are your best bets,

however (from experience with comcast) the equipment they provide is utter crap, i would recommend 

A) Getting a good WiFi router, and setting your comcast modem up in bridged mode rather than using it as a wifi point / router

Comcast equipment they market as "good" but its really really really crap, it has limitations, range / throughput is terrible.

Im with comcast myself, i use a docsis modem in bridge mode, and a seperate wireless router (i forget which model i went with but i usually get my 300-600Mbps from where i use my laptop upstairs, through a couple of walls, on its 5G Access Point.

3 minutes ago, Lawrence196 said:

the long cable would look very messy, and im not sure i am able to change the router

Those are pretty much the plays.

Alternatively you could buy an access point like a UAP-AC-Lite and disable wireless on your Comcast box.

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C 

3 minutes ago, Lawrence196 said:

the easiest way, would be to get yourself a new wireless router (choose one based on whatever review method you prefer), contact comcast and get them to set your modem in bridged mode, connect 1 port on your comcast modem (now in bridge mode) to the WAN port on the router you purchase and run through its usual set up wizard that comes with most routers.

4 minutes ago, factorialandha said:

If you cannot run cables themselves, wireless or powerline are your best bets,

however (from experience with comcast) the equipment they provide is utter crap, i would recommend 

A) Getting a good WiFi router, and setting your comcast modem up in bridged mode rather than using it as a wifi point / router

Comcast equipment they market as "good" but its really really really crap, it has limitations, range / throughput is terrible.

Im with comcast myself, i use a docsis modem in bridge mode, and a seperate wireless router (i forget which model i went with but i usually get my 300-600Mbps from where i use my laptop upstairs, through a couple of walls, on its 5G Access Point.

Thankyou, this could work, but my family likes to use the apple airdrop routerto listen to music, but could i run an extra router?

1 minute ago, beersykins said:

Those are pretty much the plays.

Alternatively you could buy an access point like a UAP-AC-Lite and disable wireless on your Comcast box.

This would work also, if you dont care about routing and such, get a good Access Point and wire it into the comcast box, 

Just now, Lawrence196 said:

Thankyou, this could work, but my family likes to use the apple airdrop router which isnt real good, could i run an extra router?

you can wire as many routers in as you have network ports on the comcast device for the most part, but you are limited to the throughput of the switch on the comcast device for that method it makes for a very disjointed network and makes communication between devices between those access points a little problematic, but if you dont care about that, id look at decent "whole home" wireless systems maybe, some of them have good reviews and apparently work well. But can be expensive, so its all down to how much you want to spend