Surface 3 finally gets the delayed Spectre and Meltdown patches in long awaited firmware update

AlTech

The Surface 3 has finally gotten the delayed and long awaited Spectre and Meltdown patches in the latest Firmware update. The previous firmware update for the Surface 3 came out all the way back in late 2016. It's a bit of a Surprise that it received this patch considering the probably awful sales of the device.

The Surface 3 hasn't received a firmware update since late-2016, but, if you have one lying around, Microsoft is changing things up a bit by pushing a fresh set of fixes out to the device.

The latest updates include compatibility improvements with high-res external displays, along with a patch for the dreaded Spectre and Meltdown security vulnerabilities that were first disclosed in January. Here's a look at what's new:

• Surface – Firmware – 1.51116.198.0 - Surface UEFI – Firmware: 1.51116.198.0 resolves potential security vulnerabilities, including Microsoft security advisory 180002.
  • Intel Corporation – Display adapters – 20.19.15.4835 - Intel(R) HD Graphics – Display adapters: 20.19.15.4835 improves compatibility with high resolution external displays on Windows 10 April 2018 Update.

So yeah, It is quite bad it took this long to arrive but at least it actually received the patch at all.

Source:

https://www.windowscentral.com/surface-3-gets-rare-firmware-update-security-fixes-tow

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

4 hours ago, James Evens said:

What is better a device without updates or a broken device which does not work at all?

Neither, both options are almost equally bad...

Desktop:     Core i7-9700K @ 5.1GHz all-core = ASRock Z390 Taichi Ultimate = 16GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @ 3600MHz = Asus ROG Strix 3060ti (non LHR) = Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2 SSD = ASUS PG279Q

Notebook:  Clevo P651RG-G = Core i7 6820HK = 16GB HyperX Impact DDR4 2133MHz = GTX 980M = 1080p IPS G-Sync = Samsung SM951 256GB M.2 SSD + Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD

1 minute ago, Syfes said:

One you can use offline.

4 hours ago, James Evens said:

What is better a device without updates or a broken device which does not work at all?

Both work as far as I know though with Microsoft you are more likely to have your warranty honored.

Just now, ScratchCat said:

One you can use offline.

I'm so heavily invested in cloud applications these days, that I'm having trouble imagining that this was ever a thing :D 

Desktop:     Core i7-9700K @ 5.1GHz all-core = ASRock Z390 Taichi Ultimate = 16GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @ 3600MHz = Asus ROG Strix 3060ti (non LHR) = Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2 SSD = ASUS PG279Q

Notebook:  Clevo P651RG-G = Core i7 6820HK = 16GB HyperX Impact DDR4 2133MHz = GTX 980M = 1080p IPS G-Sync = Samsung SM951 256GB M.2 SSD + Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD

19 minutes ago, Syfes said:

I'm so heavily invested in cloud applications these days, that I'm having trouble imagining that this was ever a thing :D 

Given that most software is now downloaded it is not surprising that most people need to connect the computer to the internet just to configure it.

2 hours ago, Syfes said:

So you consider one where a devices is literally unusable and essentially a brick is as equally bad as a device that has a vulnerability that is actually quite rare out of the millions of vulnerabilities. Hmmm...

3 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

So you consider one where a devices is literally unusable and essentially a brick is as equally bad as a device that has a vulnerability that is actually quite rare out of the millions of vulnerabilities. Hmmm...

Well, depending on what you'e doing on it, one device (the broken one) only outs you the cost of said device. The other could potentially be a liability for far more if sensitive information is used.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

26 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Well, depending on what you'e doing on it, one device (the broken one) only outs you the cost of said device. The other could potentially be a liability for far more if sensitive information is used.

I mean, if you want to go down that rabbit hole, then there's a very good chance you'll have replaced the broken device (for obvious reasons), and end up with a vulnerable device anyway.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

According to Microsoft's Value Indicator chart, this update improves security, and has no effect on reliability, connectivity, compatibility, performance, or battery life.

How the hell it doesnt affect "performance" , if its proven even by Intel that it indeed slows down the entire systen?