does ram speed really matter?

which ram is good with i5-8400?

8gb ddr4 2400 G.Skill Trident Z RGB or 8gb (dual) ddr4 2666 Tforce Delta RGB

does ram speed really matter in i5-8400?

They have the same price. 

For Intel, not so much. If you were going with a Ryzen bases system, then yes it really matters. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Like he said. 

Ram speed matters only when your CPU is fast too. A very high OC CPU gets even better with faster ram. A very fast ram does very little with a slower CPU.

1) go with the one that is compatible with your motherboard. Either your ram or the motherboard's website will tell you their compatiblility. This is called QVL (qualified vendor's list). If your part is outside of this list, compatibility is not guranteed.

2) Also, 2400 and 2666 is too small of a difference. Go with the one that has lower timing. If you want to know the ram's true speed, take the frequency rate and divide it by CAS (this is the first number e.g. 9-9-9-24 this is CAS 9, take the first number, thats it). (e.g. if the 2400 ram is CAS 12  but the 2666 is CAS 15, then it would be 200 vs 177 respectively. As such, 2400 would be faster than 2600.

CPU: 8600k @4.9  (1.39v) |  Cooler: NH-U14s | Mobo: Asus Strix z390i | Ram: Gskill DDR4 Trident Z 3600 8GB x 2 16-16-16-36

GPU: Gigabyte G1 1080 GTX | Case: Prodigy ITX | Fans: NH-A14, (exhaust) NH-A12, (intake) NH-A20 (intake)

Samsung EVO 1tb | Samsung EVO 512gb x2 | Intel ssd 128gb

PSU: Powerstation 500W

2 minutes ago, Zeny1 said:

Like he said. 

Ram speed matters only when your CPU is fast too. A very high OC CPU gets even better with faster ram. A very fast ram does very little with a slower CPU.

exactly, its like force feeding your CPU more data, but the CPU can't really process data that fast, so it makes very little difference in the end, 2400 is fine for an i5-8400, you can overclock it to 2666 or even 2800mhz btw, if you wanna test the difference.

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

13 minutes ago, Sardz said:

8gb ddr4 2400 G.Skill Trident Z RGB or 8gb (dual) ddr4 2666 Tforce Delta RGB

are both of them dual channel? if one is Single channel and the other is Dual channel then that makes a big difference.

Just now, syn2112 said:

are both of them dual channel? if one is Single channel and the other is Dual channel then that makes a big difference.

Gskill is only single while Tforce is Dual channel

Just now, Sardz said:

then obviously get the Tforce, the price difference is also big why are you even comparing these two, getting two RAM sticks will work together in Dual channel, basically doubling the speed of your memory bandwidth, and that's the standard when somebody talks about RAM, 2400mhz Single channel is too slow.

2 minutes ago, Sardz said:

also if you wanna cut down on costs get 4GB X 2 so they run in dual channel.

but make sure to get 16gb. modern games are requiring more and more ram these days.

CPU: 8600k @4.9  (1.39v) |  Cooler: NH-U14s | Mobo: Asus Strix z390i | Ram: Gskill DDR4 Trident Z 3600 8GB x 2 16-16-16-36

GPU: Gigabyte G1 1080 GTX | Case: Prodigy ITX | Fans: NH-A14, (exhaust) NH-A12, (intake) NH-A20 (intake)

Samsung EVO 1tb | Samsung EVO 512gb x2 | Intel ssd 128gb

PSU: Powerstation 500W