Newegg

JasonScorpio
5 minutes ago, Motifator said:

I do realize that Amazon workers aren't happy and such, but Newegg isn't exactly a princess either.

I do realize that both companies are no holy grail on all areas of e-commerce.

But if I had to choose between the two - and I would live in the USA instead of Belgium (EU) - I'd go for NewEgg.

Whatever you do, do not use FedEx for shipping if you have an option with Newegg. I just got dinged big time with a letter in the mail 2 weeks after I got the package from them stating I owe them big time. Fee's Fee's and more Fee's for a simple parcel. Its like $10 for customs, $25 fee and another small fee plus 5% gst tax. My order was only like 70 bucks or something. I get stuff from Ireland all the time, ddhl they use, no issues, no suprises.

16 minutes ago, Christophe Corazza said:

I do realize that both companies are no holy grail on all areas of e-commerce.

But if I had to choose between the two - and I would live in the USA instead of Belgium (EU) - I'd go for NewEgg.

That's most likely because you get to hear all these people say Newegg this, Newegg that awesome.

I'd avoid both Amazon and the Egg if I can, but since they carry some of the most stuff, it tends to be one of those two. You could take one of them and headbutt to the other TBH. Same goes for eBay and the scams they let to happen.

Mouser is a fine retailer for instance, but they sell industrial gear. I bought like 5-10 blower fans from them and they sent them in a big carton box with the fans all set inside in one by one blocks and bubble wrap over it. That's professional work for you.

11 minutes ago, Motifator said:

Mouser is a fine retailer for instance, but they sell industrial gear. I bought like 5-10 blower fans from them and they sent them in a big carton box with the fans all set inside in one by one blocks and bubble wrap over it. That's professional work for you.

I get all of my electronic parts from Mouser as well. (To be honest, partially because I get a student discount but also because I’ve never had any issue with them)

They indeed like their bubble wrap ;-)

16 minutes ago, Motifator said:

That's most likely because you get to hear all these people say Newegg this, Newegg that awesome.

That can probably be why I would preger NewEgg.

However when itcomes down to the meer size of their productschap (and their price)  it’s hard to avoid Amazon and NewEgg though.

Yeah, especially Amazon. They carry a massive portfolio. Newegg also sometimes carries things Amazon doesn't, the Sparkle Calibre 680 was only sold by them in those days. Bought that one from Newegg.

8 minutes ago, Motifator said:

Yeah, especially Amazon. They carry a massive portfolio. Newegg also sometimes carries things Amazon doesn't, the Sparkle Calibre 680 was only sold by them in those days. Bought that one from Newegg.

It’s that product portfolio, combined with their low prices and ease of ordering + shipping that makes them so convenient and my go to webshop where I look first when searching for a specific item.

I might have gotten my Optane SSD from them too, can't remember. Maybe not. Anyway, deals happen on Amazon as well. It's always best off looking for them. Newegg for example is carrying the Zen 2700 for $250 right now (on their eBay site).

I don't know, never heard of them. Seems sketchy.

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

I pretty much bought 3 builds (80%) from newegg, but my last transaction left a bad taste in my mouth. I bought a gpu and within 30 days it went on sale, now their policy (only

if it has the iron egg guarantee when you buy) like 14 or 15 days, they denied me any refund or anything, ok . Now other retailers will hear my plea and refund me or give me store credit like Costco. 

Forgive me El Guapo. I know that I, Jefe, do not have your superior intellect and education...

6 hours ago, JasonScorpio said:

Nevermind guys, I just found out newegg has major custom problems here in the EU, you pay up to 80$ just for customs. As far as I can tell, newegg doesn't refund what you pay to customs.... pity....

Hope you can find your items cheaper somewhere, but I don't think it's right to expect a retailer to refund you the cost you may pay in customs. That is on your country itself, not the retailer (NewEgg) and more than that if they tried to hide it and get it through customs they would likely be committing a crime and get in trouble themselves.

4 hours ago, NovaNightmare said:

Hope you can find your items cheaper somewhere, but I don't think it's right to expect a retailer to refund you the cost you may pay in customs. That is on your country itself, not the retailer (NewEgg) and more than that if they tried to hide it and get it through customs they would likely be committing a crime and get in trouble themselves.

The problem is that some webshops pretend that they ship from inside the EU, thereby making ti look like customers avoid having to pay import/customs fees.

However, when the mailman finally arrives with their package, they get a nice surprise...

Not in a couple of years but it was a good experience. Only issue I had was a HDD that was DOA but they replaced it quickly and painlessly.

19 hours ago, JasonScorpio said:

Nevermind guys, I just found out newegg has major custom problems here in the EU, you pay up to 80$ just for customs. As far as I can tell, newegg doesn't refund what you pay to customs.... pity....

Why would they refund? First of all, no US retailer shows taxes in their pricing because in US states themselves define what taxes and how much residents pay. So depending on state tax will be added after shipping/payment details are added.

Second, if you buy outside of your own country or any country which has trade agreement with your country, you pay import tax and/or duty besides shipping. This makes buying anything else than what you CAN'T get pointless. Good thing is that if you can find online store within EU that ships to your country, you pay only one tax and shipping.

Thirdly, warranty process for many brands goes through retailer. This means that you need to ship parts back to retailer at your own expense. And if you get denied RMA, you pay for shipping the part back also. Only some manufacturers allow using local support for RMA.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv