Multiple GPUs for Architecture 3D Rendering..?

Go to solution Solved by itisme911,

A lot of programs are responsible for integrating multiple GPU support by themselves so it could be a by program basis. If you use your computer for gaming at all I would get a 1070. AND usually your computer (programs that support only one GPU) Will use the one in the top slot or the one with your main display plugged in(they should be the same).

Hi all! 

I'm building a PC for a relative who is a self-employed architect. They do all of their own 2D and 3D rendering on software such as Revit, AutoCAD, Sketchup and other 3D software I forgot the names of.

I've put together a few builds, however I have a few questions that should have simple answers:

1. GTX 1070 or P2000? (In Australia the P2000 = $595, GTX 1070 = $650)
2. Say I have 1 system with two graphics cards: A GTX 1050 and a P1000. Will the 3D software (if any or some) use both cards, or only the one that provides better performance?

Many thanks!

A lot of programs are responsible for integrating multiple GPU support by themselves so it could be a by program basis. If you use your computer for gaming at all I would get a 1070. AND usually your computer (programs that support only one GPU) Will use the one in the top slot or the one with your main display plugged in(they should be the same).

Remember to also use the one that has the right I/O / ports eg HDMI on it

P2000 is the better choice as there are a few (very few, none that I've found useful) features that you may need if CAD is your livelihood (it isn't for me). 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Thanks for the tips guys! I think I'll throw in the P2000. Games arent really his thing. Would it be worth putting his old graphics card (GTX 760) into the new PC for the sake of HDMI ports? Looks like the Quadro only has display port.

6 hours ago, Mork DOrk said:

Thanks for the tips guys! I think I'll throw in the P2000. Games arent really his thing. Would it be worth putting his old graphics card (GTX 760) into the new PC for the sake of HDMI ports? Looks like the Quadro only has display port.

Multiple GPUs don't really matter for these software unless you're using a CUDA renderer (Vray, etc).

I'd personally just grab a display port to HDMI cable. Usually if you want to mix Quadro and GeForce GPUs, you want them to be of the same generation (pascal, maxwell, etc).

Though since you mention Revit, I'll comment that Revit uses the CPU much more than the GPU. It also prefers faster core speeds over slower ones.

15 hours ago, scottyseng said:

Multiple GPUs don't really matter for these software unless you're using a CUDA renderer (Vray, etc).

I'd personally just grab a display port to HDMI cable. Usually if you want to mix Quadro and GeForce GPUs, you want them to be of the same generation (pascal, maxwell, etc).

Though since you mention Revit, I'll comment that Revit uses the CPU much more than the GPU. It also prefers faster core speeds over slower ones.

Sweet! Thanks champ. I've decided to go for the i7 8700 instead of the Ryzen 2 2700. Good choice? Faster cores, but less of them.

5 minutes ago, Mork DOrk said:

Sweet! Thanks champ. I've decided to go for the i7 8700 instead of the Ryzen 2 2700. Good choice? Faster cores, but less of them.

Yeah, that should work just fine. Though if you can push for an overclocked 8700K, that would be even better.