Screen goes black for a couple seconds, coloured lines appear on screen for half a second - GPU dying? (GTX 960)

Go to solution Solved by Tha Joker,

I would try all the cables like everyone said. BUT you could be having thermal issues too. If you're experienced you could take it apart and reapply thermal paste.

Basically what it says in the title, for some time, not too long ago, my monitor would go black for a couple seconds and I would see coloured lines appear on the screen for half a second, both of these problems occur randomly. The lines wouldn't cover the whole screen and are very small.

Both of these problems occur when I am simply just gaming browsing the web or just being on the desktop.

Is my GTX 960 dying? 

System

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100
  • GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX Vega 56 (Re-flashed to Vega 64 w/ undervolt and OC)
  • RAM: Patriot Viper IV 3200Mhz CL16
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte GAMING B550 
  • PSU: Cooler Master 750W MWE 80+ White

it might be. try unplugging the cable to your monitor and plugging it back in on both ends. 

do the lines dissapear once they've showed? 

She/Her

I've experienced similar isues on my rig, and I actually did an RMA on a GTX 660 just to discover that it was actually the cable, so first, waste a few bucks on a new cable and if that doesn't solve the problem, then you can blame the card.

43 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

it might be. try unplugging the cable to your monitor and plugging it back in on both ends. 

do the lines dissapear once they've showed? 

Yeah I have already done that, problem still persists

System

28 minutes ago, YOEL_44 said:

I've experienced similar isues on my rig, and I actually did an RMA on a GTX 660 just to discover that it was actually the cable, so first, waste a few bucks on a new cable and if that doesn't solve the problem, then you can blame the card.

It actually could be, I have been using the same cable for a long time. I'll tell you if the problem still goes on.

System

I would try all the cables like everyone said. BUT you could be having thermal issues too. If you're experienced you could take it apart and reapply thermal paste.

Personal Computer Build:

CPU: i7-4790k | Motherboard: Asus Z97-A | RAM: 16GB G. Skill | Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce Gtx 1070 TI Founders Edition | Case: Corsair 750D | Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB / Western Digital Black 1TB / Western Digital Blue 1TB | Power Supply: EVGA 750watt SuperNova Gold Rated | Displays: 3 VG248QE 24" 144hz, 1MS | CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 | Keyboard: Razer Chroma BlackWidow

1 hour ago, Tha Joker said:

Yeah I cleaned it just now and my GPU is sitting at a pretty good 27 degrees Celsius (when browsing), just gonna have to see if the problem still persists. 

System

6 minutes ago, av28 said:

Yeah I cleaned it just now and my GPU is sitting at a pretty good 27 degrees Celsius (when browsing), just gonna have to see if the problem still persists. 

Awesome :)

Personal Computer Build:

CPU: i7-4790k | Motherboard: Asus Z97-A | RAM: 16GB G. Skill | Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce Gtx 1070 TI Founders Edition | Case: Corsair 750D | Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB / Western Digital Black 1TB / Western Digital Blue 1TB | Power Supply: EVGA 750watt SuperNova Gold Rated | Displays: 3 VG248QE 24" 144hz, 1MS | CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 | Keyboard: Razer Chroma BlackWidow