M.2 and NVMe speeds

RORYSON
Go to solution Solved by thedude4bides,
2 minutes ago, RORYSON said:

So would my board take a NVMe?

Yes it would.  So to clear things up for you, both SSD or NVMe will fit into an m.2 slot.  As you pointed out SSD has 2 slots while NVMe has only one.

As others pointed out, NVMe is way faster but is really only noticeable over SSD in professional use or large file transfers.

If cost is a concern, then SSD's are the way to go.  If you have money to burn, nothing wrong with getting the best...even if it is only noticed in rare situations.  

I really like that there are zero cables involved in installing an m2 drive be it SSD or NVMe.  Super clean.

Got a new motherboard and it has 2 M.2 ports on it and im wondering about the speed difference between M.2, NVMe and 2.5inch SSD. Is it worth getting a M.2 or should I stick to a SSD. My board is a GIGABYTE Z370 Aorus Gaming 3. Thanks in advance guys..

m.2 is a connector, it doesn't affect speed.

NVMe is a protocol for data over PCIe.

2.5 is anouther formfactor, it can be sata, ide or pcie.

What are you doing?

Probably just get a drive like a mx500, get a m.2 if you want less cables. 

Thanks for the quick reply. I always get a quick reply on this site. Sorry I thought the m.2 and NVMe were two different connectors as ive seen on amazon one with one slot and another with 2 slots and both have different speeds. I guess I dont understand this as im new to it

5 minutes ago, RORYSON said:

Thanks for the quick reply. I always get a quick reply on this site. Sorry I thought the m.2 and NVMe were two different connectors as ive seen on amazon one with one slot and another with 2 slots and both have different speeds. I guess I dont understand this as im new to it

what is your goal here?

For a gmaing pc, just get a drive like this https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820156173

To be honest it would be just for running windows and a few programs. I have a HDD for running games off. I just thought newer would be better. I have a friend running NVMe and he says things seem to run smoother

NVME's are like ninjas, slick, professional, and faster.

Samsung 970 evo, 500GB NVME:

Read Speed 3,500 MB/s

Endurance 600 TBW

$200 Bucks

SATA SSD is your favorite wingman, Solid, reliable, all rounder good guy.

Samsung 860 evo, 500GB SATA SSD:

Read Speed 540 MB/s

Endurance 300 TBW

$100 Bucks

NeXTcube 12400 Z690M ITX 64GB SN770 6600XT Sugo16 12.5

NeXTserver 9400 H310N ITX 32GB SN350 5500XT Fara R1 12.5

NeXTstation 9900K Z390 ITX 32GB SN750 6800XT Enthoo 12.5

SSD's are better the HDD for speeds and games. 

NVME Drives are faster then SSD's, but they are also quite a bit more expensive (250 GB SATA Samsung Evo drive can go for $70-80, the 250 GB samsung 970 Evo NVME SSD starts at $110-120) But they do not make games load any faster then a SATA based drive, and they should not make windows boot any faster if it is properly installed by more then a few seconds.

NVME is only for people who do CAD work, Who do Video editing for business use, and similar large file transfer business uses.

Ok. Thanks for the help guys. Much appreciated.....

2 minutes ago, RORYSON said:

Yes it would.  So to clear things up for you, both SSD or NVMe will fit into an m.2 slot.  As you pointed out SSD has 2 slots while NVMe has only one.

As others pointed out, NVMe is way faster but is really only noticeable over SSD in professional use or large file transfers.

If cost is a concern, then SSD's are the way to go.  If you have money to burn, nothing wrong with getting the best...even if it is only noticed in rare situations.  

I really like that there are zero cables involved in installing an m2 drive be it SSD or NVMe.  Super clean.

Thanks for all your help guys...