Computer Hard Reset while Gaming

Go to solution Solved by Mio85,
3 minutes ago, Osayidan said:

The PSU is a Corsair 1050W HX 80+ Gold Module -- Purchased Jan. 2014.

It sounds like a PSU issue, if you are able to test by using a different one, that would be good.

Over the last month my computer started restarting randomly during gaming (latest drivers, windows installed ~year ago). Unable to identify what is wrong with my machine I started stress testing to see if it is hardware related. Over the course of 2 weeks I used the following in 10-15 minute increments; Memtest86 being the only one that was ran for 1.5 hours... Aida64, Benchmark Valley, Memtest86, and Prime 95 - no restarts or errors - temps were all normal as well. 

After discovering that if I spun my character in Heroes of the Storm my computer would restart. I tested it 10-15 times and every time it restarted. I removed both of my cards, and I was able to use the integrated graphics and was able to spin my character w/o any issues. I switched the cards around, put 1 in the machine - both cards, both slots - one at a time. I pulled out my extra cables from my Corsair HX1050 and used the Peripheral & SATA and PCI-E ports on my power supply and used brand new cables (with new ports) and it restarted. 
Which made me think it was more software related. I did fresh Windows 10 (Home x64) install with GeForce Driver: 388.43 (Released 11/30/2017) install and was pleased to see that it did not restart, and I was able to spin my character with both cards installed. This weekend while playing SimCity I put down a road – and it restarted. I disabled the Xbox DVR and NVIDIA game stream – it still restarts. I do not know what to do to further investigate my issues and I fear that if I purchase a new game and a similar pixel is introduced, it will be unplayable. 

Gigabyte Z97X-GAMING7
i7-4770k with H100i
16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 2133
Gigabyte Geforce G1 970 SLI
Corsair HX1050

My Corsair HX1000i did the same thing to me while gaming with restarts. I replaced the PSU and it went away, although I didn't have a issue with spinning like you do. I replaced the PSU with a Seasonic, no issues.

Living Room: HTPC (M1 Mac Mini 8/256) HiFi (Furman Elite-15 PFi > Cambridge 851N > Emotiva A300 > Focal Chora 826) Display (65-inch LG Oled, 22-inch Dell)

Office: Workstation (AMD 3900X, RX5700XT, 32GB) Headphones (Cambridge DacMagic+ > Schiit Lyr 3 > DT 990. 2 Sonos One in Stereo) Display (32-inch Gigabyte)

1 hour ago, Mio85 said:

How old is your power supply and what model?

3 minutes ago, Osayidan said:

It sounds like a PSU issue, if you are able to test by using a different one, that would be good.

Try reducing the power limit for the GPUs with something like afterburner and reducing the max power for the CPU with Intel XTU. You will get worse performance but might help determine if the problem is the PSU.

1 hour ago, Murilo_A said:

Try reducing the power limit for the GPUs with something like afterburner and reducing the max power for the CPU with Intel XTU. You will get worse performance but might help determine if the problem is the PSU.

Murilo_A -- changing each variable separately and leaving the other one factory default - I was only able to get -0.130V off my CPU before the system would crash. I turned my GPU down to 40% (couldn't go lower) and ran BF4 ultra 4k and was getting 44fps. I'll do a longer test tomorrow. 

• 2 weeks later...

After several nights of beating my head against the wall.. I decided to jump to an EVGA G3 850 PSU - which fixed my issue.

5 minutes ago, Osayidan said:

After several nights of beating my head against the wall.. I decided to jump to an EVGA G3 850 PSU - which fixed my issue.

Yeah, typically if a system starts shutting off suddenly, it means the PSU isn't supplying the needed power.
It happened to a friend of mine, so I figured it would be the same problem.

Mine just did this. Replaced thermal paste and haven't had the issue since. 

Firestrike 
i7-8700k @5.0GHz w/ 1.30v, Corsair h100iv2, Gigabye Aorus gaming 7, 16GB(8x2) 2666MHz ddr4, Dual RX470's OC'd to 1390mhz(atm) in corssfire - liguid cooled with corsair h60's, 3.25 TB in Samsung SSD's, anidees white crystal cube case 

Retired:
i5-4440k @3.2GHz, gigabyte ga-z87x-ud5h z87, 24GB DDR3, 3x1TB Seagate Baracuda HDD.

Windows drivers have compromised many functions.  I would suggest looking for whatever manufacture driver updates as well as bios is available.  I would also recommend considering a restore point that sets updates before 1709 windows update package until further resolutions over these issues have been implimented