Interesting problem fixed.

EmoRarity

So yesterday I receive my birthday present to myself in the mail, a brand new 7870 to use during the summer instead of my friends 550ti. The reason why I change cards being it gets hot in my room do to the lack of AC in my house. (And I know there are things I could buy to fix that problem instead of a 7870, but ts not my house and not my rules.)

Any way, when I went to install the new card in my system I wasn't posting beyond the bios, and the vga device led on my Asus P9X79 Pro was turning on (Hate my motherboard so much, but I got a good deal on it or I would have gone Gigabyte). So I put one of my 570's back in and it posted normally, telling me that there was no driver for the vga device, which I found odd. So I slept on it and came to a realization, my motherboard is a release day X79 board, my graphics solution is pci-e 2, my new card is Gen 3. So I rolled out of bed in the morning and set my pci-e link speed to Gen 2, and my card posted......Bottom line....never strike a deal and get a motherboard the day of release....it'll have the oddest issues. J3HjWlx.jpg

9Af4h0z.jpg

Rkb6gTG.jpg

That's a very odd problem. Glad you got it fixed!
As am I, my room will be so much nicer now.

Btw let me know what you get out of it OC wise. I have a heat problem on my current case so I'm kinda in the same boat as u. The xfx 7870 DD in my case gets to like 78 under load with no oc.

Congrats on fixing it. Otherwise it would be a waste of a good, new card!
I was ready to send it back Monday and get SP2500's instead.

What I find odd is most if not all AMD mother boards are pcix gen 2, yet AMD make gen 3 graphics cards :o

just a little gripe lol any way , glad you got it fixed (Y)

What I find odd is most if not all AMD mother boards are pcix gen 2, yet AMD make gen 3 graphics cards :o

it is just that amd's current gen chipsets that have been out forever to support from phenom 2 to 2nd gen fx cpu's need to be able to push the amd "forever socket" you know how it rolls over without really changing much to make an obvious upgrade path. and now amd mobos are coming out with 3rd party pcie 3.0.
Spoiler

AMD R7 1800X, H100i GTX, AMD Radeon RED DEVIL 5700XT, ASUS STRIX B350-F GAMING, 16gb DDR4 3000, 1Tb, 2 X SEAGATE 1Tb, Coolermaster V1200 Platinum, NZXT H440 red/black, STEEL SERIES AEROX 3, DUCKY X POWER COLOR RED DEVIL KEYBOARD, Microsoft xbox 360 wired controller, LG ULTRAWIDE.

Btw let me know what you get out of it OC wise. I have a heat problem on my current case so I'm kinda in the same boat as u. The xfx 7870 DD in my case gets to like 78 under load with no oc.
Room temps of 30C I got 75C under load and idle 52C at in Unigine in my Antec 1100.

Plus its a gimmicky feature anyway. Might as well add it if it will help sales.

Glad you fixed it :)

AMD Radeon 7870 Gigabyte OC / Intel i5 3570k / ASrock Z77 Pro4 /Samsung 840 EVO 250GB / WD Blue 500GB 7200rpm / Kingston HyperX T1 2x4GB 1600mhz / SeaSonic 520w M12 / Thermaltake v4 Black

OK I'm switching my cases today. Much better cooling and space in the corsair 600t than the crap one I had before. Hope I can get the numbers u got