How do I remove stripped allen key screws on a waterblock?

Go to solution Solved by Christophe Corazza,

You can get them basically in every size you want.

And, if I would be tinkering with such delicate and expensive material, I would definitely be much more comfortable using those screw extractors.

How do I remove stripped allen key screws on a waterblock, they aren't completely rounded.

there are special driver bits that work well with stripped screws either that or just press really firmly and ensure it wont strip further if you can then take the screw to home depot or lowes and buy some more

2 minutes ago, Nogghan said:

there are special driver bits that work well with stripped screws either that or just press really firmly and ensure it wont strip further if you can then take the screw to home depot or lowes and buy some more

I already found replacements but where do i get those driver bits? If i try again it will prob strip on the allen key.

3 minutes ago, H20Burner said:

Worked on one of them. 3 left tho

The safest way is to use so-called ‘screw extractors’.

4 minutes ago, Christophe Corazza said:

The safest way is to use so-called ‘screw extractors’.

Can I get them in 1mm-5mm?

And, if I would be tinkering with such delicate and expensive material, I would definitely be much more comfortable using those screw extractors.

3 minutes ago, Christophe Corazza said:

K ill go buy them. Thanks

it's a mystery on why they would bolt those things together, the last one I got was soldered and sealed. Unless you are talking about the bolts that hold it down. If there is any material buildup in the block your doing something really wrong like running it thru a fishtank with fish in it. 

Just now, mikerscope said:

it's a mystery on why they would bolt those things together, the last one I got was soldered and sealed. Unless you are talking about the bolts that hold it down. If there is any material buildup in the block your doing something really wrong like running it thru a fishtank with fish in it. 

Well I was a moron and flipped one of the jets in the block the wrong way. On allen keys, left is tight and right is loose. Thats how I got into this mess in the first place.

7 minutes ago, H20Burner said:

K ill go buy them. Thanks

You're welcome xD

Where I live, you can get them at a regular hardware store.

Nothing fancy about it :)

7 hours ago, H20Burner said:

Well I was a moron and flipped one of the jets in the block the wrong way. On allen keys, left is tight and right is loose. Thats how I got into this mess in the first place.

if worst comes to worst and it totally strips out youll need a small drill bit to drill the screw out carefully if you dont want to replace the whole thing 

I had the same issue recently on a X299 monoblock from EKWB. The OEM bolts really are of dissapointing quality lately, or I've lost control over how much force I apply when screwing anything down.

Anyways.. The screw extraction kit from iFixit saved my ass.

Some people call me a magician..

But all I do is consult the mighty Google.

8 hours ago, URSUS said:

I had the same issue recently on a X299 monoblock from EKWB. The OEM bolts really are of dissapointing quality lately, or I've lost control over how much force I apply when screwing anything down.

Anyways.. The screw extraction kit from iFixit saved my ass.

Well should I get that instead? Havent gotten one yet.

1 hour ago, H20Burner said:

Well should I get that instead? Havent gotten one yet.

Basically any decent screw extraction kit will work. It’s not really brand specific ;-)

As I’ve said, you can easily get them in your local hardware store without any problem.