New 2700X/1080/64GB build for CAD gaming and VMs

Ryois

My budget is $3000-4000 USD.

I plan to use this build for VMs, gaming, development, and CAD.

My monitor currently is a Dell UP3017 2560x1600 and I plan to go with 4K soontm

Peripherals should not be included, I already have a Ducky One with MX Browns, Razer Mamba TE, and a Corsair MM800.

I am upgrading from my laptop xD it has an i7 6700HQ 16GB of ram 2560GB NVME SSD and a 1070.

I currently have  https://pcpartpicker.com/list/RcDKXP I think I could squeeze in more performance and shave a little off the price.

do you REALLY need 64GB of RAM? or would 32GB work for now and you could expand to 64GB sometime next year?

do you really need all the RGB?

I ask these questions because a bunch of the RGB stuff just adds to the overall price with ZERO performance gains and RAM is INSANELY overpriced you should in a year or so (hopefully) be able to get RAM at HALF the current pricing, I strongly suggest buying the MINIMUM amount of ram that you need to get the system up and running then buying more once the prices drop. these 2 things would free up more then enough to bump up to the 1080ti over the 1080, you might also wait another week some people (not me) still think Nvidia might be announcing the next gen GPU's at Computex and the 1180 if it is announced should be around the same performance level of the 1080ti for around the same price but more energy efficient and with some new tech in it for rea time ray tracing and shit like that, so it should be a better GPU.

Just now, Daniel644 said:

do you REALLY need 64GB of RAM? or would 32GB work for now and you could expand to 64GB sometime next year?

I ask these questions because a bunch of the RGB stuff just adds to the overall price with ZERO performance gains and RAM is INSANELY overpriced you should in a year or so (hopefully) be able to get RAM at HALF the current pricing, I strongly suggest buying the MINIMUM amount of ram that you need to get the system up and running then buying more once the prices drop. these 2 things would free up more then enough to bump up to the 1080ti over the 1080, you might also wait another week some people (not me) still think Nvidia might be announcing the next gen GPU's at Computex and the 1180 if it is announced should be around the same performance level of the 1080ti for around the same price but more energy efficient and with some new tech in it for rea time ray tracing and shit like that, so it should be a better GPU.

This computer would take over some load from my server which means it would need a decent amount of ram, probably 2 16GB VMs.

I didn't choose the RGB for the RGB, I like those fans and I'll probably set the colors to white or some solid color. 

I'll probably wait until the end of the year or sometime after September to do this build for pricing and new products that will be released. 

2 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

I mean, I know the backstory. He's getting 5 grand from X to do whatever he wants.

He's considerably rich, since he gets 2 grand a year from his parents.

And yes, he'd need those 64gb of RAM, he does networking stuff, he runs a lot of VMs and things like htat.

He's getting "all that rgb" because he wants to, i mean, he's getting a lot of money all the time so why not?
He's not on a budget where going price/performance is the top priority, you understand? Plus he can only get it at the end of the year so :smile:

Consider a 4x16GB memory kit. XMP profiles are set based on the kit capacity. 

Instead of getting an addon WiFi card, you might consider getting Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero (Wi-Fi) which has onboard WiFi.

850W is nearly double the max draw estimate for the OP build. You might consider something around 650W.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

6 minutes ago, brob said:

Instead of getting an addon WiFi card, you might consider getting Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero (Wi-Fi) which has onboard WiFi.

850W is nearly double the max draw estimate for the OP build. You might consider something around 650W.

Ok, will switch to that board, and my friends told me to get 850W in case xD but I'll consider it

9 minutes ago, brob said:

1 minute ago, Ryois said:

Ok, will switch to that board, and my friends told me to get 850W in case xD but I'll consider it

yeah 850 may be overkill but I personally like to go 40% or so over these days because it means under general use the fan for the PSU rarely ever has to run and it hits near it's peak efficiency curve when under heavy load.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/nFcFsZ
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/nFcFsZ/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7GHz 8-Core Processor  ($319.99 @ B&H) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H110i 113.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($112.89 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: ASRock - X470 Master SLI/AC ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($143.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance RGB 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($720.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($148.39 @ Newegg Marketplace) 
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($199.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($59.79 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB WINDFORCE OC 8G Video Card  ($519.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Corsair - Carbide 400C ATX Mid Tower Case  ($69.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($99.99 @ Newegg) 
Wired Network Adapter: Intel - E1G44ET2 PCI-Express x4 10/100/1000 Mbps Network Adapter  ($53.91 @ Newegg Business) 
Case Fan: Corsair - LL120 RGB LED 43.2 CFM  120mm Fan  ($32.66 @ Amazon) 
Case Fan: Corsair - LL140 RGB LED 51.5 CFM  140mm Fan  ($38.78 @ Newegg Business) 
Other: Corsair Fan Controller Commander Pro (CL-9011110-WW)  ($64.60 @ Amazon) 
Other: Windows Server 2016 DataCenter (Purchased)
Total: $2651.26
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-05-27 16:30 EDT-0400

cheaper. different RGB RAM at same rated speeds. cheaper GTX 1080 with sufficient cooling.

dropped wifi card for ASrock board with Wifi. 

4 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

yeah 850 may be overkill but I personally like to go 40% or so over these days because it means under general use the fan for the PSU rarely ever has to run and it hits near it's peak efficiency curve when under heavy load.

The downside is that the psu spends the majority of its time outside or at the low end of the 80+ Bronze/Gold efficiency envelope.

1 minute ago, brob said:

The downside is that the psu spends the majority of its time outside or at the low end of the 80+ Bronze/Gold efficiency envelope.

depends on what the VM's will be doing and how often they are running.

9 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

Hmm maybe a 750W or something? 

@GoldenLag hmmm I'll look into it

Just now, Daniel644 said:

depends on what the VM's will be doing and how often they are running.

They're gonna be Windows Server and Debian VMs, one is going to be a Domain Controller the Linux one is going to be a Minecraft server. They will be running 24/7

11 minutes ago, Ryois said:

Hmm maybe a 750W or something? 

@GoldenLag hmmm I'll look into it

They're gonna be Windows Server and Debian VMs, one is going to be a Domain Controller the Linux one is going to be a Minecraft server. They will be running 24/7

It's not so much what is running but how much load is being put on the various components. The big users of power are heavily loaded gpu. A Ryzen 7 2700X at stock clocks running all out with little or no gpu utilization is likely going to be pulling <200W.