PC HELP (UPGRADING)

Basically I'm looking to upgrade my PC for streaming and gaming purposes mainly.  

Current PC Specs: 

• NVIDIA GTX 970
  • i5-6600
  • Z170 MOBO
  • 16GB RAM

So I'm using PC to stream and play games mainly with most being fortnite, pubg, gta v, etc.  For example in fortnite I get around 120 fps when not streaming and about 80fps when streaming.  Tried playing on low settings, updated everything but nothing seems to help so I'm just looking to upgrade.  I struggle to stream fortnite at 720p60fps with all low settings in fortnite and same goes with 720p30fps.  I also stream off my GPU currently because OBS and fortnite use 100% CPU and my GPU is then using 100% too so everything just dies basically.  So I've got some options right now but not sure what will be best.  

1st Option - Upgrading my CPU to an i7-6700k (Best core I can get with my current mobo I think)

2nd Option - Upgrading my GPU to either GTX 1070 or GTX 1080 (1080 is a maybe, if it will help a lot then I might get it) 

I want to improve FPS in game and streaming quite a bit.  Hoping for around 160+fps while not streaming and maybe around 120+fps while streaming at 720p60fps in fortnite for example if its possible.  Right now I can only afford one of the options but could upgrade both maybe later this year if I had to but one for now.  Had some friends say that CPU will help while streaming only and others say GPU only helps FPS while not streaming so thought I would come here to get some answers.  

Thanks.

If you're on a budget i would suggest getting the 1070 Ti instead of a 1080 if you have your heart set on a GPU upgrade. Right now since new GPU's are coming out soon I would suggest the CPU upgrade.