Upgrading to ASUS - MOTHERBOARDS Z10PE-D16 WS from a gigabyte gaming 3

I am currently using a gigabyte gaming3 with an Intel Core i7-6700k CPU @ 4.00GHz  with 32 gigs of ram, however, due the mobo's limitation, I can only fit 64 gigs of ram. I am thinking of upgrading to an ASUS - MOTHERBOARDS Z10PE-D16 WS  with maybe  2 Intel Xeon E5 2650 V3 ES QFSB 2.1GHz 25MB with 10 cores each. or 14 cores, One of the reason is that I intend to use this machine for my lab exercises with virtualizations, and I also I want to be able to play games on this machine. I will like some advice on whether I should go with 2 Xeon motherboard or stick to a single motherboard my current CPU wich has only 4 cores.  

7 minutes ago, sputniq said:

Is a cheap ass R7 1700 + ASrock Pro 4 not enough?

Threadripper will probably make your life easier than a dual xeon board.

May also be worth just looking into a used server that already has a case/motherboard/CPUs. maybe even some coolers. But I'd go for Ryzen if you have the money for simplicity.

Also if you don't need much performance may be worth looking into really cheap opteron/xeon options for cheaper DDR3

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

The Goal is not 128 GB ram, Eventually, I will like to cramp in as much ram as I can. Up to 500 GB ram if i can

I currently about 128 gb of ddr4 seating around and doing nothing. 

6 minutes ago, sputniq said:

The Goal is not 128 GB ram, Eventually, I will like to cramp in as much ram as I can. Up to 500 GB ram if i can

What's your end budget? Could always go EPYC if you want something bleeding edge with the possibility of 32 cores or more per socket. and like 2TB max RAM...
https://www.amd.com/en/products/epyc-7000-series

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

ok so my current budget is around $1500 and I have the following items, 2x heatsink, 128Gb ram, 1600W power supply and multiple SSDs, the only main decision I need to make is regarding the mobo and or processor(s)

1 minute ago, sputniq said:

ok so my current budget is around $1500 and I have the following items, 2x heatsink, 128Gb ram, 1600W power supply and multiple SSDs, the only main decision I need to make is regarding the mobo and or processor(s)

You might want to just shop around for a while, try the level 1 techs forums maybe, lot of more technical people over there

Spoiler