One monitor locking FPS on other monitor & Streaming issue

Sweeet

I have a 240hz monitor and a 60hz monitor and whenver I open things on my second monitor while im playing a game at 240 fps it locks it to 60 fps. More recently my most annoying problem was that when I have twitch popout chat opened on my second monitor it doesn't lock it at 60 fps but I drop a ton of frames. Is this just how it is or is there a way to fix this?

Also I'm curious how people stream Overwatch with 240 fps consistently. I have an issue where after a game or two of streaming overwatch my FPS tanks to 120-150 and is only fixed by restarting the game. I find myself restarting the game half way in between the middle of a game. It's really annoying and would love for a fix. There is many streamers who stream at 240 fps even 300 fps and have no issue like this who stream at even better settings. Do they use another system to stream their games? Is this possible? If so what are the requirements of the other system?

Settings:

I stream 1280 x 720 at 30 fps.

I have minimal settings on Overwatch.

My download speed is around 300mb/s

Specs:
i7-7700k (clocked at 5ghz)

GTX 1070 (+120 core +250mem)

16gb 3000mhz ram

Disable VSync in Global Settings in NVIDIA Control Panel and restart the PC (or at least the running applications).

If you use G-Sync, play in true Full Screen mode, not Windowed/Borderless mode.

1 minute ago, WereCat said:

Disable VSync in Global Settings in NVIDIA Control Panel and restart the PC (or at least the running applications).

It is off in nvidia control panel

Just now, Sweeet said:

It is off in nvidia control panel

Then G-Sync... I edited my post above

Just now, WereCat said:

Then G-Sync... I edited my post above

I know nothing about G-sync how do I know if I am using it? I know my 240hz monitor has free sync but not gsync.

1 minute ago, Sweeet said:

I know nothing about G-sync how do I know if I am using it? I know my 240hz monitor has free sync but not gsync.

Well, if you have Free-Sync and AMD GPU, just forget that I said G-Sync but do the same for Free-Sync regardless

2 minutes ago, Sweeet said:

Then you don't need to worry about that. Make sure you're using the true fullscreen mode.

it's time

Just now, WereCat said:

Well, if you have Free-Sync and AMD GPU, just forget that I said G-Sync but do the same for Free-Sync regardless

He said he has a 1070

it's time

4 minutes ago, RollTime said:

He said he has a 1070

That's why I assumed he has a 240Hz G-Sync monitor

17 minutes ago, Sweeet said:

I have a 240hz monitor and a 60hz monitor and whenver I open things on my second monitor while im playing a game at 240 fps it locks it to 60 fps. More recently my most annoying problem was that when I have twitch popout chat opened on my second monitor it doesn't lock it at 60 fps but I drop a ton of frames. Is this just how it is or is there a way to fix this?

Also I'm curious how people stream Overwatch with 240 fps consistently. I have an issue where after a game or two of streaming overwatch my FPS tanks to 120-150 and is only fixed by restarting the game. I find myself restarting the game half way in between the middle of a game. It's really annoying and would love for a fix. There is many streamers who stream at 240 fps even 300 fps and have no issue like this who stream at even better settings. Do they use another system to stream their games? Is this possible? If so what are the requirements of the other system?

Settings:

I stream 1280 x 720 at 30 fps.

I have minimal settings on Overwatch.

My download speed is around 300mb/s

Specs:
i7-7700k (clocked at 5ghz)

GTX 1070 (+120 core +250mem)

16gb 3000mhz ram

There isn't a fix for this. Sadly, it's an Nvidia driver issue involving streaming games to two separate monitors from a single GPU at different refresh rates.

Your only options if you want to play games and watch videos at the same time is are; getting two 240hz monitors, or getting a second GPU to output video.

1 minute ago, Mio85 said:

There isn't a fix for this. Sadly, it's an Nvidia driver issue involving streaming games to two separate monitors from a single GPU at different refresh rates.

Your only options if you want to play games and watch videos at the same time is are; getting two 240hz monitors, or getting a second GPU to output video.

Well why does it work for a game or so (15-20 minutes)? I get the full 240 fps then randomly (perhaps through tabbing in and out) it goes down to 120-150

Well why does it work for a game or so (15-20 minutes)? I get the full 240 fps then randomly (perhaps through tabbing in and out) it goes down to 120-150

It's a driver bug, it works in some games, and in others it just doesn't work. Sadly that's just the nature of driver optimization. I had the exact same problem when using a 144hz and 60hz monitor. Except it didn't work at all since 144 isn't a multiple of 60.

3 minutes ago, Mio85 said:

Will anything like that happen if one uses a 1080 p 144hz and a 1440p 144hz monitor at the same time?

Just now, Z-Gaming said:

Will anything like that happen if one uses a 1080 p 144hz and a 1440p 144hz monitor at the same time?

No, as long as the refresh rates are the same it should be fine.

4 minutes ago, Sweeet said:

1 minute ago, Z-Gaming said:

Also, I use a 165hz and 144hz and the issue isn't present. I think it has to do with the massive gap between 144/240hz and 60hz

Just now, Mio85 said:

Also, I use a 165hz and 144hz and the issue isn't present. I think it has to do with the massive gap between 144/240hz and 60hz

got it. thanks

No, as long as the refresh rates are the same it should be fine.

So say I unplugged my second monitor and then I would not have this issue?

So say I unplugged my second monitor and then I would not have this issue?

You shouldn't even need to unplug it. As long as you have a static image on your second monitor, your first monitor should be fine.
So no videos, no moving images, basically no movement on your second monitor at all.

Give that a try and tell me if it stopped the stuttering.

You shouldn't even need to unplug it. As long as you have a static image on your second monitor, your first monitor should be fine.
So no videos, no moving images, basically no movement on your second monitor at all.

Give that a try and tell me if it stopped the stuttering.

Well the problem isn't that in my normal games its stopping 240 fps from happening, its just when I stream. I really want to be able to have my chat open and play the game at 240 fps (currently if I have my chat open it makes my fps around 120 aswell, and I don't play with the chat open). So I'm trying to have the ability to use both monitors. Maybe I should note that the second monitor is plugged into my motherboard.

Just to reiterate the end goal is to be able to stream overwatch with chat opened on the second monitor at 240 fps any way possible. Is the only way to do this to display the chat on another system? I have a laptop that I could use if so.

3 minutes ago, Sweeet said:

Well the problem isn't that in my normal games its stopping 240 fps from happening, its just when I stream. I really want to be able to have my chat open and play the game at 240 fps (currently if I have my chat open it makes my fps around 120 aswell, and I don't play with the chat open). So I'm trying to have the ability to use both monitors. Maybe I should note that the second monitor is plugged into my motherboard.

Yeah, chat falls under the movement on the second monitor. If you have a spare, older GPU laying around you could plug your second monitor into that. Or if you have a laptop, you could always open twitch on there.

Just now, Mio85 said:

Yeah, chat falls under the movement on the second monitor. If you have a spare, older GPU laying around you could plug your second monitor into that. Or if you have a laptop, you could always open twitch on there.

Doesn't the onboard graphics of the motherboard work the same way?

Just now, Sweeet said:

Doesn't the onboard graphics of the motherboard work the same way?

Yeah, it should, if you enable it. Although I don't know how you would assign one screen to intel and the other to nvidia.
I only suggested a second video card because you can control which videocard outputs to whichever monitor you want in the nvidia control panel.

But it's worth trying.

10 minutes ago, Mio85 said:

Yeah, it should, if you enable it. Although I don't know how you would assign one screen to intel and the other to nvidia.
I only suggested a second video card because you can control which videocard outputs to whichever monitor you want in the nvidia control panel.

But it's worth trying.

Thats currently what im using on my second monitor right now though.

5 minutes ago, Sweeet said:

Thats currently what im using on my second monitor right now though.

That might be a separate issue then caused by using intel display drivers with nvidia diplay drivers.

If you have the option, try testing any semi-decent nvidia gpu as a secondary display card.