Thoughts about this i7-3820 OC to 4.75Ghz

What are your thoughts about this overclock? How long you think my CPU will last me? Any and all feedback/criticism is welcome.

Note: I've used this CPU at stock speeds until last year were I had an 4.2 GHz overclock.

Now at 4.75GHz, I'm currently very stable with it and it doesn't seem to run hot at full load. I'm a little concerned with the almost 1.52v I HAVE to use to have this OC stable. Any lower and it will crash during stress test, and lowering it even more means it will just make it not boot into Windows.

Temps idle are at 40c.

Temps under normal use (15-30% usage) 43-55c.

Temps at full load are < 68c. Check it out below.

11.PNG

22.PNG

CASE: Thermaltake Armor Plus

MOBO: EVGA X79 FTW

CPU: Intel Core i7-3820 CPU

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080

RAM: Corsair Vengance DDR3 16GB

SSD: Samsung 850 PRO

HDD: VelociRaptor 300GB

Cooling: Kraken X60

We can't tell you how long your CPU is going to last.

The average life expectancy of your typical CPU is at least 8 years. It will still physically be usable, but most users ditch their CPU looong before it is completely unusable.

1.52V seems pretty high, I would dial back the overclock. That's not exactly the safest voltage around...

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

It will slowly degrade, but whether this becomes an issue for you in one or five years is hard to say - depends on how heavily you use it. You could try running it like that for as long as it remains stable. If you start encountering errors, I would just drop the overclock and voltage a bit.

CPU: Intel i7 3970X @ 4.7 GHz  (custom loop)   RAM: Kingston 1866 MHz 32GB DDR3   GPU(s): 2x Gigabyte R9 290OC (custom loop)   Motherboard: Asus P9X79   

Case: Fractal Design R3    Cooling loop:  360 mm + 480 mm + 1080 mm,  tripple 5D Vario pump   Storage: 500 GB + 240 GB + 120 GB SSD,  Seagate 4 TB HDD

PSU: Corsair AX860i   Display(s): Asus PB278Q,  Asus VE247H   Input: QPad 5K,  Logitech G710+    Sound: uDAC3 + Philips Fidelio x2

HWBot: http://hwbot.org/user/tame/

Yea I think the the voltage is high but anything lower wont work. At this time I'm running it 24/7, I will be upgrading once the prices of RAM drop a bit, then I'll dial it back and use this as my second computer. I guess I just wanted to know if because of the high voltage there was like an estimated time I could expect issue or such. But I'll just keep an eye on it and adjust as necessary. Thanks for the feedback!

13 minutes ago, XiuzSu said:

Yea I think the the voltage is high but anything lower wont work. At this time I'm running it 24/7, I will be upgrading once the prices of RAM drop a bit, then I'll dial it back and use this as my second computer. I guess I just wanted to know if because of the high voltage there was like an estimated time I could expect issue or such. But I'll just keep an eye on it and adjust as necessary. Thanks for the feedback!

From what I heard the vrm of your mono is more likely to fry from that much voltage faster than the cpu. I wouldn't be comfortable running an overclock with that voltage and would likely dial back the overclock and voltage. 

5 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

From what I heard the vrm of your mono is more likely to fry from that much voltage faster than the cpu. I wouldn't be comfortable running an overclock with that voltage and would likely dial back the overclock and voltage. 

You are right, they are hot to the touch. I guess I will be dialing this down...:(

Or, would small fan there do the trick?

1 hour ago, XiuzSu said:

You are right, they are hot to the touch. I guess I will be dialing this down...:(

Or, would small fan there do the trick?

They are always going to be hot to the touch. Most operate at anywhere from 70 to 90 degree Celsius. It once it hit into the 90s and above that you have to be careful. Some vrms have nice components that are rated for fairly high temps and some don't. Anyways I would dial it back regardless if I were you. High voltage can kill components even without thermals being a huge issue. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback. I thought I'll give you an update. I've decided to bring the OC down to 4.3GHz, using 1.25v, temps under 46c at full load. As this will soon just be my media server, this would be good.