Help with monitor choice

code99

Hello, 

For the longest time I've been using 1080p @60Hz displays mainly because I never had a GPU capable of anything higher than that.

I am now planning to upgrade my GPU (currently on a Sapphire R9 290 card) to a better card and since im doing that I decided I need a new monitor as well to get rid of this old thing.

I am undecided between what to get. 

Now, I dont have the cash to get a 1080Ti, most I can get is a Vega 56 from a friend (almost new, getting it cheap because its my friend) or a 1070/1070Ti or the cheapest 1080 but thats a bit of a strech.

With that being said, what do you recommend? Considering the GPU ill be having, I doubt ill be able to run games at 1440p 144FPS so is it even worth getting such a monitor? Would a 1080p be better? 

I've seen monitors with 144Hz and i fell in love with how it looks and feels but what if im unable to achieve 144fps?

The new monitor will have GSync or FreeSync (depending on the GPU) and will probably be a 27 inch deal since I want something bigger to my 21 (or 24 idk) inch.

Id say im a casual gamer ... Dont play many FPS games (the only FPS title I play regularily is Escape From Trakov) altho that being said I might get into Battlefield V whenever that comes out and i do occasionally play RS6.

I mostly play strategy games and 3rd Person RPGs.

it depends on what games you play.

for cs-go, overwatch, pubg, fortnite is a 144hz monitor at 1440p should be possable.

If you play heavy games it isn't worth it.

I would go either 1080p144 or 1440p60.

If you do go Vega, you can get freesync as well.

G-sync is imo not worth the 100 dollar premium :/

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Hmmm ... lets say I would go for a 1080p144 at 27 inch monitor with freesync (i will most likely go for a Vega 56 card since I can get it for cheap), any suggestion as to what monitor to get (brand, model etc)?

Kinda sad that card cant run 1440p at 144 :(, would sure love the higher resolution :)

Imo high refresh rates is worth it regardless. As long as you get over 80fps most of the time, it is still a WHOLE LOT better then a 60hz monitor. You don't have to get 144fps to feel the benefits of high refresh rate monitors. I got a 180hz monitor, the Asus pg248q with a gtx 1080. In high demanding games like the witcher 3 and Hitman where I don't really get 100+fps, I still feel the benefits of a high refresh rate monitor. To me it is 100% worth it, it is only when I start getting dips to 70 and below is when it feels sluggish and laggy. 

In the end if you play PC games a lot, and many different games rather then sticking to 1 all the time. Then it is definitely worth it. 

Edit: was going on and on about how good high refresh rate monitors are and never actually recommended any.. 

If you can wait, save up get a gtx 1080 and a monitor like the Asus pg248q. For the best high refresh rate experience, 1080ti + the 165hz 1440p Asus monitor. If you don't wanna wait and don't care about gsync or freesync, look at the benq(think they are called zowie now) High refresh rate monitors. 

1 minute ago, tuunade98 said:

Imo high refresh rates is worth it regardless. As long as you get over 80fps most of the time, it is still a WHOLE LOT better then a 60hz monitor. You don't have to get 144fps to feel the benefits of high refresh rate monitors. I got a 180hz monitor, the Asus pg248q with a gtx 1080. In high demanding games like the witcher 3 and Hitman where I don't really get 100+fps, I still feel the benefits of a high refresh rate monitor. To me it is 100% worth it, it is only when I start getting dips to 70 and below is when it feels sluggish and laggy. 

In the end if you play PC games a lot, and many different games rather then sticking to 1 all the time. Then it is definitely worth it. 

I do play a lot and i play a variety of games. 

My mind is pretty made up when it comes to refresh rates. I want a 144hz monitor, thats set in stone. I now am deciding whether to go for 1440p or 1080p but ill probably go for 1080p because dont think a Vega56 will play well with 1440p resolutions and still get 70+ fps in most games. 

I do tend to play high demanding games (see the witcher 3, Escape from Tarkov, upcoming battlefield 5, Anthem (whenever that comes out)

Imo save up then. I'm an impatient person, but if you don't wait YOU WILL REGRET IT. Just save up and get a gtx 1080 or 1080ti. THEN you can consider high refresh rates. 

If your card can't push more then 70fps maxxed out at 1080p on most games, don't even bother with a high refresh rate monitor. 

10 minutes ago, tuunade98 said:

Imo save up then. I'm an impatient person, but if you don't wait YOU WILL REGRET IT. Just save up and get a gtx 1080 or 1080ti. THEN you can consider high refresh rates.

You're saying a vega 56 wont do 1080p @ 144hz ? At the end of the day im willing to give up on 1440p for higher refresh rates.

I dont think ill be able to afford a 1080 any time soon. The problem atm is that my friend is selling one of his Vega 56 cards and will sell it to me for cheap (~500 bucks) so im more inclined towards the vega card.

This is the card he is selling :http://sapphirenitro.sapphiretech.com/en/Vega56.html

Not really saying a Vega 56 can't do it. I have no idea whether it can or not. Since my r9 290 and now my GTX 1080, im a Nvidia fanboy and really can't recommend AMD to anyone. All in all just keep in mind if it can't push more then AT LEAST 70fps and mostly more then 80fps(sweet spot) then high refresh rate not worth it. I'll say watch some YouTube vids on the Vega 56 paired with your cpu and see what kind of performance you can expect. 

Well after some research it appears that i have to go for 1080p 144  with the vega 56 (it should be capable of delivering high fps on a 1080p display.

Now onto finding a good monitor :)