Audio help

AnthonyFuller

I am looking to buy a Yamaha MG10XU and a Roland VT-3

1. Can I use them together if so, how.

2. Should I use the MG10XU effects or the Roland.

I guess it would be easy to quickly switch over.

Thanks - Anthony!

10 minutes ago, AnthonyFuller said:

I am looking to buy a Yamaha MG10XU and a Roland VT-3

1. Can I use them together if so, how.

2. Should I use the MG10XU effects or the Roland.

I guess it would be easy to quickly switch over.

Thanks - Anthony!

before that, why do you need this?

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

10 hours ago, syn2112 said:

before that, why do you need this?

And that is related how?

13 minutes ago, AnthonyFuller said:

And that is related how?

because if you don't know how to connect these together then you don't know much about audio and i just wanted to make sure you won't waste your money on this expensive hardware

1 hour ago, syn2112 said:

because if you don't know how to connect these together then you don't know much about audio and i just wanted to make sure you won't waste your money on this expensive hardware

Sorry if I came off a little rude. I run a little podcast and it has been a nightmare hooking up more than one to my PC.

3 hours ago, AnthonyFuller said:

Sorry if I came off a little rude. I run a little podcast and it has been a nightmare hooking up more than one to my PC.

for Podcast i think it's enough to have the Yamaha Mixer by itself as it has a really good amount of effects if you ever need them, but if you wanna have more crazy effects then sure get the Roland.

the Yamaha Mixer doesn't seem to have FX Return (which is really weird) it only has FX Send,
1. what you would usually do is go from FX Send to the Input of the Roland (Mic In)
(Phantom Disabled on the Roland and the Mic In is a combo jack, meaning you can connect XLR and 1/4" on the same input, so use the 1/4" jack)

2. and from the Output of the Roland (Mono L) into FX Return of the Yamaha, that way you can have effects on all channels, and use the FX knob (Yamaha) on each channel to adjust how much effects you want.

but since it doesn't have FX Return.

1. you have to connect your microphone to the Roland (Mic In) (XLR)
(Phantom Enabled, if you have a Condenser microphone, if not then disable it)

2. and use the Output of the Roland (Mono L) into one of the Microphone channels or Line Channels on the Yamaha, that way you can only use the effects on one microphone. (Phantom Disabled on the Yamaha)

you can ask someone when you buy it where you would connect your FX Return, and ask them if the FX Return applies to all channels (or atleast the microphone channels)

this is making me dizzy

2 hours ago, syn2112 said:

but since it doesn't have FX Return.

The MG10UX doesn't really have an FX send, it has an aux. They just forgot naming conventions.

A better question would be, why do you need/want the VT-3, and why not just get a mixer with a built in effects engine?

Just now, anothertom said:

well it's labelled as one, but really it's just an aux.

Aux send and FX send is basically the same thing

1 minute ago, anothertom said:

well it's labelled as one, but really it's just an aux.

or do you mean its meant to be as a normal Aux output?

oh okay now i understand, the FX knobs are for the built in effects not for using an external FX processor

@syn2112 @AnthonyFuller  Sorry, I've been looking at the wrong mixer. The MG10XU has a built in effects engine, which is fed from the FX bus (controlled from the knob labelled FX on each channel strip). This goes through the FX engine and returns via the FX return knob next to the master (called 'stereo level'). The FX send output is just a spit from the output of the effects engine.

It's not really worth having both a VT-3 and a mixer. If you wanted the effects from the VT-3 I would suggest an audio interface for the digital conversion. If you use the MG10XU then it has a built in USB interface.

5 minutes ago, anothertom said:

@syn2112 @AnthonyFuller  Sorry, I've been looking at the wrong mixer. The MG10XU has a built in effects engine, which is fed from the FX bus (controlled from the knob labelled FX on each channel strip). This goes through the FX engine and returns via the FX return knob next to the master (called 'stereo level'). The FX send output is just a spit from the output of the effects engine.

It's not really worth having both a VT-3 and a mixer. If you wanted the effects from the VT-3 I would suggest an audio interface for the digital conversion. If you use the MG10XU then it has a built in USB interface.

@AnthonyFuller i also suggest that you get the Yamaha Mixer alone, it has everything you'll ever need.

It has essentially the same effects doesn't it. Yeah I'll get that. Thanks.